Musical Fidelity A100X Power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a MF A100X which was purchased in a country with 240V AC.

I now live in Canada with 120V AC and would like to use the amp.

Appreciate if anyone can help with schematic to convert the voltage.

By the way, the backplane of the amp says 240V/120V and I have tried to run the amp with 120V... it works. Is it possible that the A100X has auto-voltage for 240-120????

thanks
P

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
PTH said:
I have a MF A100X which was purchased in a country with 240V AC.

I now live in Canada with 120V AC and would like to use the amp.

Appreciate if anyone can help with schematic to convert the voltage.

By the way, the backplane of the amp says 240V/120V and I have tried to run the amp with 120V... it works. Is it possible that the A100X has auto-voltage for 240-120????

thanks
P

yup-it works,but how good?
anyway it will work with half voltage in PSU

agree with Netlist-look for switch,but change probably must be made with some soldering;
if you are not skilled in that, find some technician locally

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi PTH,
Look at the primary connections of the power transformer (4 wires or more). For 240 VAC they go in series. For 120 VAC they go in parallel. Phase is extremely important. If you are not 100% sure, have someone help you. The fuse value should be doubled I would think.

-Chris

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
PTH said:
I took a look inside:

1: The toroid transformer has only 2 leads to the primary winding

2: on the transformer, there is a label which says 120- 240 V

3: there are no switches

4: and the secondary winding has only 3 leads

Thanks all for helping

if there are no hidden primary leads you can do just this:

measure AC voltage of unloaded secondaries (cut or desolder secondary leads from rectifier)

then purchase 120VAC unit of MAXIMUM size which you can squeeze in box;just forget VA ratings and search for size

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.