Re: Technics SU-9070

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Technics SU-9070

Hello all,

I am in a bit of a pinch and was looking for some advice... I have a rack of beloved Technics equipment from the late 70's and early 80's... One of the pieces is an SU-9070 stereo preamplifier.

The volume and balance pots are trashed... Scratchy, breaking contact, etc. I've tried my best to clean them and breathe some new life into them... Unfortunately, they seem to be too far gone to actually be salvaged.

The pots are actually a gang of about 6 or so all linked together.

I'm looking for two things:

1) Does anyone have any advice on what route I should
go in order to repair this preamp?

2) Does anyone have a schematic of this piece of equipment?
I am ordering the service manual, but I'd like to start ASAP.

Thanks,
Brad

Joined 2003
Paid Member
A few weeks ago I had an old Pioneer amp with very scratchy pots.
Spraying them wasn’t too satisfying and the amp was very dirty inside.
I decided to give it a thorough cleaning and as our member Janneman ones suggested I put the amp (top and bottom plate off) in the dishwasher and let the machine do it’s job.
After keeping it warm on the radiator for two days to make sure it was completely dry, I repaired the one broken channel and had a listen.
No scratchy pots anymore and a nice looking amp, inside and outside.
How’s that for a Diy solution while waiting for the schematic?

/Hugo :)

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Sun 3 in 1.
Good for the sound as well. :)

On a more serious note, I wouldn't do that trick with cd players or gear with displays or monitors and the like.
But these old robust amps can take it with amazing results.
It's the second one I washed, the first one is playing every day for more than a year and the second one for a few weeks now.
Keep in mind that it should be completely dry before plugging in the mains, hence why I left it standing on the radiator for two days.

/Hugo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.