diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Solid State (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/)
-   -   What can $200-500 get you for integrated amp? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/73749-what-can-200-500-get-you-integrated-amp.html)

chuck55 10th February 2006 04:30 AM

What can $200-500 get you for integrated amp?

I have been looking around for a solid state integrated amp 20-50wpc. Considered the LM3875 gainclone kit.
Has anyone built or just bought an integrated (remote controlled would be nice) in the $200-500 price range that would be on-par with a Creek 5350, or Musical Fidelity, etc?
Thanks for any suggestions.

chuck55 12th February 2006 12:24 AM

Okay, I thought the purpose of DIY was to save money over just buying something off the shelf.

But if no one here has any idea if what they are making is even as good as something they could buy for the same $$$, why bother???:xeye:

Greg Erskine 12th February 2006 01:04 AM

Re: What can $200-500 get you for integrated amp?

Quote:

Originally posted by chuck55
Has anyone built or just bought an integrated (remote controlled would be nice) in the $200-500 price range that would be on-par with a Creek 5350, or Musical Fidelity, etc?
Thanks for any suggestions.

Hi chuck55,

Just a few thoughts beause no one answered your original post.

I think your question was to specific.

Your price range seems too small for a pre and power amp.

I haven't heard a Creek 5350, or Musical Fidelity amp so I really can't offer any suggestions for amps.

If you haven't built an amp before and budget is your main criteria then you can't beat the second hand market.

We generally DIY amps because we enjoy making amps. They "can" be superior and they "can" be cheaper than commercial producs but we usually (not always) sacrifice, time and effort, looks, guarantees, gadgetry and resale value.

hope that helps just a little. :D
regards

hongrn 12th February 2006 01:11 AM

My DIY LM4780 ended up costing me $300. I just saw an ad in Fry's Electronics for a $99 90Wx5 receiver. Yeah, you can save $200 by buying a $99 receiver, but you'd be mssing out on all the fun.

Hong

chuck55 12th February 2006 01:49 AM

Thanks for the replies. I can justify the speaker DIY because you can't buy a Fostex FX-120 speaker.
As for the amplifier, I was all set to make a chip amp until I read from the owner that the $389.00 Sony SRP-P50 had more drive, sweeter sound, and less grain than the gainclones. Also, like you said Greg, the DIY stuff has little resale value.
Nothing wrong with the fun of building stuff.

planet10 12th February 2006 07:00 AM

I think you'd be hard pressed to get better sonic value in a SS amp than a 3875 chipAmp... maybe some of the up & coming digital amps ... the Sony better than something you can DIY -- i doubt it (and don't hold your breath on their resale value either)

If you do want to buy a complete amp, the used market is where to look...

dave