Ready to build! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th February 2006, 03:25 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Ready to build!

Well, I've studied long and hard and gathered top notch parts. Anyone venture to suggest a fairly simple yet high quality/great sounding design for a first time project. I will make the PCB myself so it doesn't need to be a design with a ready-made one. The AmpsLab designs look fairly simple, but boast excellent specs. I would like to use SOT223 units in the first stage, and yes, I can solder them quite well. The only parts that I cut corners on are the PSU electrolytics. I have eight United Chemicon, 10000uF, 80V units I got from their surplus site for 4 bucks each.
Old 10th February 2006, 05:00 AM   #2
CBS240 is offline CBS240  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Hawkfeather,

Is this your first amp circuit or have you built any other electronics before? It might be in your best interest to start 'small' if you know what I mean. Once you can develop a method to construction, bigger(and much more expensive) will be easier and cheaper to make, especially if you start from scratch.(which is much more satisfying personally ) This is a circuit I made just to use some parts I had lying around and wast some time, but it works and sounds absolutly wonderful. I take it on the road with me for use in hotel rooms and such as I work away from home most of the time. It can drive 4Ohms to about 25Wrms. Quite reliable as I have had no problems from it at all. DC offset is never more than like 2mV one way or the other, very stable, and very little noise. When I first made it, I had it on a very small heat sink so it would get very hot and I could test stability...bias...perfect. Never smoked a single part. Such a general circuit could be made like this with almost any parts, just breadboard it first. Vregs could be IC's or whatever. Just if you use a pot for the emitter resistors in the diff, be sure not to cheap it out and use a good quality one, mine is 20 turn, gives very acurate DC bias.

I used mostly SMD parts here but I suppose it doesn't really matter. Just saves lots of space I used pre-made PCB's from Radio Shack and used solder to bridge the traces between components. Sort of cheap and not so beautiful, but works great and is simple.

(2 of 4 channels complete )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg circuit.jpg (87.0 KB, 193 views)
Old 10th February 2006, 05:05 AM   #3
CBS240 is offline CBS240  United States
diyAudio Member

All these parts can be found on http://www.datasheetarchive.com to compare with what you may have at hand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg circuit1.jpg (68.5 KB, 200 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!