need help repairing onix A-120 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th February 2006, 01:27 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default need help repairing onix A-120

Hi... I have an onix A-120 which suffered the loss of its right channel. I can't find the schematic online and it certainly didn't come with one. I attempted to fix it but am stuck.
Each channel had a SK C3519/A1386 pair. There was visible damage in the output section on the right side.
1 completely exploded 10uf 50v electrolytic capacitor.
2 burnt-to-crisp 100ohm resistors
1 melted C3519

I took a stab at replacing the broken parts with a MJL3281A/1302A pair from digikey, a 10uf 250v electrolytic, and 2 100ohm resistors that can probobly take a little more voltage than the originals, just judging by the size. I picked the transistor pair because it seemed to have a low probability of being counterfeit. I have more of these parts for the left side so they will match, if I can get the right side working.

When I plugged in the amp, the protect light came on for the right side like it has since it broke, and smoke came off of one of the 100ohm resistors.
I checked and the resistance is still 100ohms so I think it's ok. All the other resistors checked out too. If you can't tell, I don't really know what I'm doing, but I did find that the resistance between the 1st and 2nd pins on the 1302 is 0, but I can't see a short anywhere. I'm not sure how to diagnose individual parts with them all in a circuit.
Can I have some advice? Should I give up and take it to someone who knows how to fix it?
Old 10th February 2006, 07:38 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

could i have damaged the transistor while soldering it in?
Old 10th February 2006, 07:38 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I took the transistor out, and it tests out fine, but there is still a short between those pins. I think I may have found a bad transistor elsewhere in the circuit.

Hide this!Advertise here!