diy phono preamp grounding ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am finishing a op-amp based phono preamp and was wondering how I should connect the ground from the turntable to the preamp and wether or not I should continue that ground to my line driver/preamp.
To be honest I am not completely clear on how to proberly gound a tunrtable.
Thanks.

Hello all,

I found this old old topic while searching before posting a new topic.

So since it's related, I'll ask it here.

The question is the same: where do I connect the ground lug of my turntable (the ground wire, NOT the signal grounds of RCA connectors).

I'm in the process of building a solid state preamplifier. Its ground scheme, from AC plug to phono input ground:

mains earth - returns of mains Y2 filter caps - small ferrite choke - chassis - 10nF capacitor in parallel with back-to-back 1N4007 diodes (to prevent ground loops) - PSU ground - wire to the phono PCB - phono input ground.

Where in this path shall I connect the turntable ground wire? I think that I must separate it from the input signal ground, but I can't connect to mains earth or I will short circuit the diodes (that won't work any more). So I think I have to run a wire up to the PSU ground.

What do you think about? Thanks in advance.

Hi

I agree with peranders who advises;

Start with your amp's chassi (which is connected to the signal ground in some way. You can also try connecting the ground cable directly to the signal ground.
unquote

I then connect the pre amp chassis to mains ground and the pre amp signal ground to the pre amp chassis via a 5w 5r resistor or a thermistor.

Make sure the ground lead from the turntable earths both the arm and the turntable. T
In my experience the arm tube is sometimes difficult to ground and is often the cause of the hum that prople hear. A unipivot arm usually grounds itself to the arm base and turntable ok but a knife edge bearing between arm and arm base often does not earth the arm tube and you may need to ground the arm.

Don

Don

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.