NAD 3020 drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I´m trying to repair an old NAD3020. One channnel has lost it´s output transistors (2N3055 /MJ2955) and one driver 2N6551.

The output transistors are easy to get but I can´t find any suppliers for the 2N6551 or 2N6553.

Since it seems to be asimple 60V / 1A device there must be quite some parts that are suitable as a replacement.

Any suggestions what could be used as a driver pair instead of the 2N6551/6554?

William

Giaime said:
Nah, mine is one of the oldest (champagne faceplate with "series 20" logo) and already has the BD139/BD140. My thoughts are that NAD put in what they had in the parts bin :D

It's a beautiful amp, now it's my main amp (yes, I'm serious).

Yes, Giame.
I found you tell about your NAD3020 in your homepage.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Quote:
Here's my lovely amp, the "highly sought after" NAD3020, the very first series (with the "Series 20" logo).
This is one of the only photos I've been able to find on the Net for the "champagne" version.

In the The Class-A Amplifier Site
there is NAD 3020 schematic
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi,

it seems to be working well now. Lacking the resistors to measure the bias current (they are bridged). I compared the temperature of the new and old transistors. All are almost the same at 28-29°C (wich is quite a bit lower than the 70-80°C I´m used to)

DC offset is below 8mV on both channels and even the power meter is giving the right values.

Thank you all for your help!

William

I have the same problem an i have replased the bd 139 and bd 140 and also the 2n3055 several times but then the amp plays 5 minutes and the BDs get faulty again!
I have the nad 3020i i dont know if that make a difference.
I have no idea why the drievers get lost every time everything seems to be ok the resistors....
Anyone have a idea?

jjanderson said:
I have the same problem an i have replased the bd 139 and bd 140 and also the 2n3055 several times but then the amp plays 5 minutes and the BDs get faulty again!
I have the nad 3020i i dont know if that make a difference.
I have no idea why the drievers get lost every time everything seems to be ok the resistors....
Anyone have a idea?

Inspect R651 out of circuit, must be 180 Ohms.

Inspect Q609 BD139, that is mounted in the heatsink, if is not burned and if is isolated from the heatsink.

Inspect if the case of the 2N3055/MJ2955 is well isolated electrically from the heatsink.

Good luck ... ;)

Tube_Dude said:

Inspect R651 out of circuit, must be 180 Ohms.

Inspect Q609 BD139, that is mounted in the heatsink, if is not burned and if is isolated from the heatsink.

Inspect if the case of the 2N3055/MJ2955 is well isolated electrically from the heatsink.

good advices, Tube_Dude
for a classical audio history amplifier
by Bjorn Erik Edvardsen, Norway = BEE

thanks very much
Lineup of lineup audio labs
http://lineupaudio.freehostia.com/

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.