What is pole analysis ? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th March 2006, 03:09 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

I don't think pole (or zero) calculation is calculus at all. It's algebra and not that hard algebra either. The problem comes in analyzing a circuit in order to set up an equation to begin to analyze the poles. If you get the right equation, you can solve the poles/zeros.
Old 12th March 2006, 01:15 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Greetings from Norfolk

Quote:
Originally posted by ctviggen
I don't think pole (or zero) calculation is calculus at all. It's algebra and not that hard algebra either. The problem comes in analyzing a circuit in order to set up an equation to begin to analyze the poles. If you get the right equation, you can solve the poles/zeros.

Provided you are only dealing with sinusoidal response then basic algebra will suffice, all be it rather tedious if you want to achieve an equation with the poles and zeros simply expressed. If you want to go beyond simple sinusoidal signals, then you need to go into Laplace transforms etc.. This does get complex, and involves calculus to properly understand the analysis.

I must agree that setting up the initial equation is a major part of any analysis, relating the circuit elements to the parts of the equation can take some considerable effort, and may need to be re-assessed after an initial solution is found, which you find does not relate in any way to the measured response of the circuit, usually due to un-recognised interactions between components.
Once you have a good equation, I agree that only simple algebra is needed to solve it, but great care is needed to recognise the importance of the terms, otherwise the equation can become very unweildy.

Richard
Old 12th March 2006, 02:03 PM   #23
poobah is offline poobah  United States
diyAudio Member

There is much that can be done with simple algabra... I spoke too quickly. I only recall receiving real pole & zero punishment after calculus, differential equations, and LaPlace punishment was complete.

Hide this!Advertise here!