ETI 5000 MOSFET Power amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thank you for your reply, Suzie. This is exactly what I initially thought and that I also wrote to you in a private mail earlier. This "solution", a higher voltage to the front end, is otherwise the same I use in my two Golmund Memesis clones. Since I am not familiar with SMD, I'm considering going for PCBs for your amplifier that Alex has made here on diyAudio.
I think you have done a very fine work with this amplifier!

Sincerely

Eivind Stillingen

Sorry to read that Suzy. Unfortunately your work has joined the ranks of many designs from here, and some commercial designs too - being ripped off by unscrupulous Chinese eBay sellers, who are more than likely selling the "kit" with counterfeit components also.

Suzie

If your concerns regarding the PCB has anything to do with the print layout I am referring to in my latest post, I must hasten to add that Alex has sent me, in private, an e-mail with a copy of his proposal for a PCB with ordinary components (not smd), no gerber files or similar which could be exploited commercially.

Eivind Stillingen

Suzie

If your concerns regarding the PCB has anything to do with the print layout I am referring to in my latest post, I must hasten to add that Alex has sent me, in private, an e-mail with a copy of his proposal for a PCB with ordinary components (not smd), no gerber files or similar which could be exploited commercially.

Eivind Stillingen

No, that one is cool, and in the spirit of open-source innovation. Indeed who am I to complain, my amp is based heavily on David Tilbrook's design. The one that annoys me is the kit that's for sale by connexion that is exactly my PCB design, but with Tilbrook's name removed from the silkscreen. The documentation they supply is largely a copy and paste from my website, but with my name removed.

I think it's really cool to base work off what others are sharing, but there has to be referencing. If I photocopied someone elses paper and submitted it with my name at the top, I'd be fired.

Here's a photo of my monoblocks. You can see the attribution to Tilbrook right there, on the silkscreen.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And here's the kit version.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And yes, it appears there's been a fair bit of device substitution, and not in a good way.

I do admit I'm torn about this - I do like that people are making my design available as a kit. That gives me warm fuzzies, which is what it's all about. I'm just peeved about the way they're doing it.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly many kits were tainted by dodgy Hitachi copy output devices which came out of China at the time and quite a few kits oscillated badly. I built quite a number of the 5000 series kits and the mast two turned to duds until I sourced the original Hitachi devices. Still have some in my collection of parts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.