reliable tube/mosfet hybrid amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Which implementation of the Aikido are you using in your amplifier? Will the output stage of the DH-500 still be class AB?

Looking at the Aikido? I'm not sure if I should configure it SRPP or cathode coupled.

Marc,

I'm using the Aikido Push-Pull. The output stage will be Class AB, I need lots of power for the bass panels.

The plan is to also build a Class A version (ala Moskido) and compare to OTL and tube/transformer output stages, for lower power applications.

Aikido Push-Pull

Stuart

Stuart, just noticed your output stage power supply. 113kuf -- per channel?!. Nice! :)

Pretty close. Actually it's hard to see, but there are 15 x 4700uF caps per rail, three on the bottom board with 10uF PP and 0.47uF PP bypass caps. So, 70.5kuF per rail, 141kuF total.

Guess it's a hair shirt approach.......

Also, the rectifier bridge is a Schottky deal.

The power switches on both of my units failed (while stock), so new, rear panel HD toggle switches have been installed and indicator lamps put on the front panel where the switches were.

IEC connectors for easy power cord changeouts.

Stuart

Attachments

• 20131205_050158.jpg
    20131205_050158.jpg
    973.1 KB · Views: 671
  • 20131205_050206.jpg
    20131205_050206.jpg
    647.1 KB · Views: 625
I seek a casing idea for mine all plate hybrid. where the valve is on front outside the case.

someone ideas?

Idea like pic 2 cooling plate mosfets behind the tubes. stainless steel casing? high shining.

The case do housing 4 tubes for stereo, or a mono blok who has two.

This design sounds very good, much better as the others I have, new idea no feedback on tubes, therefore the use of the 6C19 who has mu of two and high current and low impedance.

regards

Attachments

• moscode_silver_700b.jpg
    moscode_silver_700b.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 422
  • maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 416
I designed a 150WRMS hybrid amp with SRPP front end and mosfet output stage.
It sounded OK but no valve type distortion.
If you want Marshall type sound then you need the full valve amp including OPT.

I can tell you the design do sound quite tube wise because of type of driving the mosfets. I have test it and a tube amp lover did listen and agree that it was quite close to tube sound, maybe bacause of there is no cathode follower driving the mosfets but a (beefy) plate follower who does that. You are a guitar lover I think because oy your picture, for these I think a hybrid is not quite fitted because when drive in distortion you can easely blow the mosfets, she never give the distortion you want, that is for guitar purpose afcouse, you need then pre-distortion circuit.

I need no marshal sound, but high end kind, and afcourse a nice housing I am try to design nicely, needs a pro outlook.

regards

Last edited:
more on the Lazarus H-1

Here's the reverse-engineered schematic on the H1A - originally designed (apparently) by Allen Wright. I have a 1A and a 1 that I modified to the A. Amps sound VERY good - first drove quad 63's (best I used); now my LS50's / subwoofer combination.

Particularly like the inclusion of a servo which really seems to work well - now only need to have one control to set the bias. Also like the simplicity of the input circuit. Did simplify the upper grid biasing circuit to a DN2540 cc source feeding the 62V zener - one for each channel. Been working fine for ~20 years!

Charles

O yeah - did add two muffin fans (240V in series) - fit to /right underneath the top

Attachments

• Lazarus H1A.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 257
Last edited:
I have a hybrid amp now for over 15 years, no defect, did design this myself, but in fact it was already designed as 90 procent of audio amps are a wheel already invented multiply times.

Thsi does nice, dv coupled tubes, controlled by a servo for correct tube temperature drift, and a speaker protection who is set on a longer on time because of dc on speakers while warm up, it is not much but still some volts.

I have this not yet on LTspice.

regards

Attachments

• hybrid.jpg
    hybrid.jpg
    423 KB · Views: 283
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.