reliable tube/mosfet hybrid amp - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th November 2002, 12:48 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default Re: another try

Quote:
Originally posted by JAZZ2250
Oops. The link to an image didn't work. Here's the full address.

http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/5913/hybrid.gif
I could not get the site to open. Then I tried

www.geocities.com/Tokyo/5913

From there you can pick the page you want.

Cheers.
Old 8th November 2002, 01:36 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

I used to own a counterpoint SA-100 which sounded quite good on the right set of speakers. But it was very fragile. I blew a set of output FETS, sent it to counterpoint to have repaired, got it back, plugged it in (without anything hooked to it), and blew the same fets again. I then traded it for a VTL amp.

It had power supply rail fuses too, but the fets were faster fuses than the fuses.

Good sound yes... Relable no... (not really fair; it used it for years with no problems before the failure)

So it is possible to make a good soundning hybrid, and I'd postulate that with a good quality bipolar output stage it would be quite reliable too. Or a fet stage with a better design would probably do the trick.

Sheldon
Old 8th November 2002, 04:12 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

What I heard from another forum is - Counterpoint' Hybrid amps blow the Fets - surprisingly large number of people do not seem to be aware of-
Is it a design fault and fets blow due to Oscillation ?
When we discus Hybrid amps Moscode Tube / Mosfet hybrid amps have cult following entirely due to their excellent design and reliability.
Bythe way I am looking for Moscode schematics - does anybody have them?
K.S

Quote:
Originally posted by stokessd
I used to own a counterpoint SA-100 which sounded quite good on the right set of speakers. But it was very fragile. I blew a set of output FETS, sent it to counterpoint to have repaired, got it back, plugged it in (without anything hooked to it), and blew the same fets again. I then traded it for a VTL amp.

It had power supply rail fuses too, but the fets were faster fuses than the fuses.

Good sound yes... Relable no... (not really fair; it used it for years with no problems before the failure)

So it is possible to make a good soundning hybrid, and I'd postulate that with a good quality bipolar output stage it would be quite reliable too. Or a fet stage with a better design would probably do the trick.

Sheldon
Moscode Tube / Mosfet
Old 9th November 2002, 03:13 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kayes
What I heard from another forum is - Counterpoint' Hybrid amps blow the Fets - surprisingly large number of people do not seem to be aware of-
Is it a design fault and fets blow due to Oscillation ?
I think it's more of a design flaw than a characteristic of MOSFETs. After all if FET's were fragile, then Nelson Pass' designs would be puddles of molten silicon. The Counterpoint amps don't have any small emitter resistors for load balancing. So if the output is shorted, the FET itself dissipates all the power by itself If I remember correctly, it's an avalanche type of failure too). According to Mike Elliot, the amps sound much better without them (If I recall correctly, there are provisions for them on the circuit board). I did find the amp to be a good sounding (a bit warm and soft; which was nice).

Sheldon
Old 10th November 2002, 04:31 AM   #15
JoeBob is offline JoeBob  Canada
diyAudio Member

I said I'd soon have some input, and I just finished off one of my amps (it's in pieces, needs the chasis to be assembled, will do tomorrow) but it really does sound nice, the tubes add their sound and the MOSFET power follower (Class-A) is indeed rather neutral (very nice sounding on it's own though) and blends well with the tubes. All and all I'm very happy with it, and will probably stick with that setup for a while to come. So MOSFET/Tube hybrids can indeed sound superb, give it a try, but with all things, a bad design will sound bad.
Old 10th November 2002, 05:50 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

A good tube/SS design is what I need. I'm so happy that you have made a success cause it will be my next project. I just didn't wanted to spend my time and money for what would never happen. BTW, could you provide some preliminary info before you prepare a full review of your work? I'm eager to know what you have made. Thanks.
Old 10th November 2002, 04:02 PM   #17
JoeBob is offline JoeBob  Canada
diyAudio Member

I made a simple source-follower circuit with IRFP044Ns, only one in the signal path, as well as one for the ccs (just slight variations on the power follower 99c design by Andrea Ciuffoli). Andrea reccomended a tube stage to drive it (he reccomended his headphone amp, but that sucker was a little on the expensive side to build). So I built a simple tube stage composing of a 6922 tube doing the voltage gain followed by a 6AS7G wired up as a cathode follower. The tube stage must have a low output impedence so as not to take off the high end due to the MOSFETs high input capacitance. I'm really happy with it, I'll probably tell you more when it's broken in, but for now I have to finish my second stereo unit, for these are meant to biamp with.
Old 15th November 2002, 02:03 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Default NFB on the Hybrid

You should be careful about the negative feedback on the hybrid amp. The Nfb going to the cathode of the input tube. This and the inter coupling capacitor ( to the MOSFET stage) can cause a bass lift of several db in the low frequencies - below 10 hz. It shows up as increased bass and is not good as it causes very low frequency (damped) oscillation. If you control this with a low value inter coupling capacitor , the bass lift disappears and the low frequency instability seems to be controlled. It is easy to simulate this with a simple program like ECAP or if you are familiar , with Spice.
I tried this circuit and it sounds very good. I made many changes to it get rid of the oscillations. I am still not sure if it is unconditionally stable. Sounds good in any case.
cheers.
Old 15th November 2002, 03:11 PM   #19
halojoy is offline halojoy  Sweden
On Hiatus

I think it is better to use the MOSFETs
as a separate output buffer

only to have eventual feedback in the voltage ampl tube

I have seen this design, with 2 caps as a coupling between
Old 15th November 2002, 03:35 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Default Feedback

I tried this circuit with no negative feedback. I liked it. Mid range was nice - I cannot explain easily but it was good. Bass was a bit floppy as the output impedance was high -around 1 ohm or so. But if you crossover to a sub- or have a very well damped sub ( Q less than 0.6 ? ) it will probably be good. I plan to make an amp with no nfb with an active sub . I think this may be the ultimate answer. Without nfb I find that portions of the music that tend to 'shout' seem to be very well controlled. In addition the voice seems to be very well reproduced - more natural .
It is certainly a very good idea to try a Valve voltage gain stage with a unit MOSFET stage. You can try many configurations.
The no NFB one is good and maybe you can start with that. This is an area where 'low distortion figures' are to be largely ignored. They are probably just under 1 % or so ! The sound is worth it.
I am just hoping I get enough time to work on a no nfb design for my active Tannoy603 project.
Note that I tried the ECC series and also the 6SL7 and 6SN 7 series. The 6SN7 beats the rest hands down. For higher voltage output and more output stages you will have to use a power voltage stage. I think maybe you have to use the power pentodes in triode mode. I have bought several pentodes just for this. Haven't got time yet to try them out.
cheers.

Hide this!Advertise here!