Power Supply Bypass Caps - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd November 2002, 08:02 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Power Supply Bypass Caps

Yes, I did a search on this topic, with no luck. If anyone can point me to the appropriate thread, I'd be most appreciative.

First off, I'm not very tech knowledgeable, but (unfortunately) I've got good ears. Apologies in advance for my ignorance. I've got a digital amp that uses 160v 22,000uf caps in for the power supply. I believe the rails are running around 120v-140v. I wanted to add a bypass cap or two to each rail. There's not a lot of room with out running extra wire leads. I've been told to not bother using a electrolytics for bypasses (like a Black Gate). I was thinking of going with 400V Film Caps (Auricap) just to be on the safe side. I've been told the concern -as far as power rating- is AC voltage. Would it be best to go with the largest value 400V (up to 18uf) cap that I can as well as a smaller value (what size?) additional bypass?

Apologies and thanks
Old 3rd November 2002, 08:15 PM   #2
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Hello,

Don't bother bypassing large electrolytics with smaller caps. They just form tuned circuits up high and sound splashy some times. Just keep leads very short to the power block and try to mount the electrolytics as near the output power devices as possible.
If you are restricted by the layout just use 100uf Blackgates or similar directly on the power devices for bypass.

Happy listening

Salas

Hide this!Advertise here!