protection mode won't go off

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think the speaker terminals got short cutted cause when I noticed there wasn't any sound , they were lose and protection led switched on, I disconnected speakers and checked fuses, and when i turn my amp on, it goes again in protection. I fear that I blowed it up. What can I check for to fix it ? Could it be a power transistor I need to replace ? Any help is welcome......

Open up the amplifier and look for additional fuses, on the amplifier board. If one of these opened, it would cause a huge DC offset on the amplifier output and force the protection circuit on all the time.

If there aren't any other fuses inside, then yes, suspect shorted output (and driver?!) transistors...

Cheers!

model and status

Well, its a TOXIX amp model TX-1600N . its a 4 x 400W amp and sin bridges are possible to have 2x400W @ 1x 800W . I demounted it and desolderd 2 power mosfets, all 4 driving trans, 2 of the 8 power trans (1 looked suspecious) and compared with my ohm meter, but they have same resistance in all maners of measerement. I solderd everything back in place now, and will test if the protection might go off if i shortcut and open wires of the temperature sensor, since that one could cause the prob too. If thats not the prob then I think its for trashcan , unless you or someone else comes up with something....

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Darkcrusher,
Ahhhh, we are talking about a car power amplifier!

Check your connections to B+ and Ground. They have to be excellent, so don't just look at them, reconnect them and use star washers to ground to ensure a good connection.

Also check the small wire from the battery negative to the car body. I've seen people smoke those off.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.