Amplifier kits ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am currently developing a new power amplifier, which is based on a classic Stan Curtis design used in the Meridian 105, and later on, in the Mission 772. I have made a few tweaks and refinements, and generally brought the circuit up to date using modern transistors.

The project is still incomplete and ongoing.

My question is this :
Do you think there would be a market for such an amp (and a matching preamp) in kit form ? I am thinking of a complete kit, that is, all components, PCBs, switchgear, casework, etc.

I have observed that (in the UK at least) there are no real audiphile amp kits available for the hobbyist. A gap in the market perhaps ?

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Whilst I applaud your efforts and wish you all success with your project, I don't think that locality has any real importance in this internet age. Last year I designed a diy amp PCB that was manufactured and distributed in the US, all around the world. At the moment I am working on some other boards, again designed by me, produced in the States, and likely to be distributed by other members, this time from possibly four countries. I have bought components/kits from five different countries all over the globe, and swapped parts from others.

Don't think parochial! Plan on selling to whoever you can, wherever they are! There is aways a market for good diy stuff! :)

CS,

The two previous respondents are right on the money.

There is no loyalty in this pursuit. The difficulty is in convincing the potential buyer that your product sounds better than the rest. For DIY that's quite an ask; most don't consider the genre can compete in the open market - of course they are wrong, but you need to convince them.

Further, the UK pound is VERY high compared to your biggest market, the US. Judging from the prices I see in the UK press, your kit would not be very competitive pricewise. So you would have to have impeccable marketing, and outstanding customer service. This last point should not be overlooked.

Lastly, consider how you will ship heavy transformers and metal work. This could be very costly with the usual couriers like DHL, FedEx, UPS, etc unless you move a couple of tonnes a month.

I wish you well. It ain't easy!!

Cheers,

Hugh

Why not consider a amp module kit? Board, parts, ready to hook up to heaver components like the heat sink and transformer.

Also, make the parts to complete the amp available as options, so people in GB and close by could get a complete amp in the mail. Others, in the us would not be blown away by sticker shock due to what has been for me the most expensive and heavy components. Almost all of us can source transformers.

A very discerning market!

Depends totally on how good it actually sounds and what it costs.

Of course you have to get enough good coment somehow before anyone will be interested.

All in all, very difficult but not impossible.

Beware, Meridian, Mission, Naim etc almost mid-fi by current international expectations!

cheers

Thanks for all the replies.

It seems there may be a market, but as always, establishing credibility and reputation is the hardest thing to do. A magazine review or local dealer support may be the only way to achieve this.

I have worked in the professional electronics industry designing RF and analogue circuits for over 25 years and have always had an interest in audio.

However, one thing I have observed about the audio industry (especially regarding amplifiers) is that it is littered with poor design. The same serious design flaws get repeated over and over again, even by some of the self-proclaimed experts !

(For the record, I currently use Naim equipment - and it too, is riddled with design flaws !!)

Start this as a hobby project and then see where it takes you. If you earn anything it's pizza and beer money and you should be lucky if you accomplish anything more.

Most kits out there are not particulary high class. The common factor is a rather cheap (and simple) pcb and few cheap parts. Many people want a cheap kit, not high-end kit.

I'll recommend you to built a prototype and offer pcb's for starters and also a good documentation :nod:

Here is a good example of good documentation:
http://www.alw.audio.dsl.pipex.com/Manuals/ALWSR_rev2.9_iss009.pdf

Meanwhile you can consider a group buy deal the first batch of pcb's.

Instructions for this here
http://sjostromaudio.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2

Joined 2002
Paid Member
cs said:
However, one thing I have observed about the audio industry (especially regarding amplifiers) is that it is littered with poor design. The same serious design flaws get repeated over and over again, even by some of the self-proclaimed experts !

Hi cs,

I'd be interested if you could point out some examples of the serious design flaws. I would like to know what I should to be looking out for. ;)

As far as producing amp kits, are you really going to produce an amp to make audiophiles happy or make a profit? It seems to me, if the Australian market is typical, the amp kits that sell in volume (1000s) are the cheap ones sold by electronic stores using their own generic components. These kits are marketed through their catalogues, monthly flyers, electronic magazines and on-line web sites.

regards

cs said:
I
My question is this :
Do you think there would be a market for such an amp (and a matching preamp) in kit form ? I am thinking of a complete kit, that is, all components, PCBs, switchgear, casework, etc.

I have observed that (in the UK at least) there are no real audiphile amp kits available for the hobbyist. A gap in the market perhaps ?

http://www.williamshart.com/jlhampli.htm

are still going (how strong I don't know)

:) /sreten.

cs, I think the same ideas occur to many of us.

I'm not an electronics designer, but i'm currently working on putting together a complete kit for chipamps. The idea being a one-stop shop for eveything the DIYer will need, and no metalworking required.

I may try to initiate the project as a group buy to remove risk from my first bulk purchase of heatsinks/cases.

I will also try to sell built units on eBay, I suspect that will depend on looks and power output.

For you to sell as high-end ( ie expensive) requires good reviews, as well as a nice website and good looking box.

Oh yes, have separate websites for Kits and finished products! and don't show the insides unles it really is a work of art in there.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.