Photos of my restoration

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I would like to show you some photos of my M166 Gradient Amp (Brazilian brand). I bought this amp used with several problems and very dirty and I made the total restoration. I even changed the VU Leds to white and blue.

Fell free in give your comments.

Regards,
Julio.

Attachments

• 100_0313_b.jpg
    100_0313_b.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 942
If you have schematic, please, post it here.

I think i have not, but finding the schematic, i will produce two channels to listen them once again, as it produces a very soft bass and beautifull voices.

The top high frequencies seems a little bit mufled to me...but this is something we can arrange inside the circuit caps, installing better tweeter or arranging speaker crossover.... seems to me, this is personal, subjective feelings...my own evaluation.

Thank you for publish our things here.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• 100_0315_b.jpg
    100_0315_b.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 589
76- Quais os transistores originais, de estágio final,
dos amplificadores Gradiente M-166, M-246, M-366 e receivers M-1560 e M-1660?

Amplificadores Super-A
M-166: Toshiba 2SA-1146 e 2SC-2706
M-246: Toshiba 2SA-1094 e 2SC-2564
M-366: Toshiba 2SA-1095 e 2SC-2565
Receivers Super-A
M-1560: Toshiba 2SA-1094 e 2SC-2564
M-1660: Toshiba 2SA-1094 e 2SC-2564

57- A substituição de um transistor Toshiba por um Sanken em um amplificador Super-A, da Gradiente, melhora o aparelho?

Não há qualquer embasamento técnico nesta afirmação, sendo que não se deve substituir transistores ou quaisquer componentes indiscriminadamente. Toshiba e Sanken fabricam componentes de alta qualidade. Não é a marca o mais importante, mas, a característica de compatibilidade do componente.
Poucos transistores da Sanken são adequados para os amplificadores Super-A, da Gradiente. Utilizar um transistor inadequado, no 166, 246 ou 366, resulta em desempenho e confiabilidade inferior.
http://www.geocities.com/fabiomauriciotimi/faq.htm

I get the original output stage transistors for M-166 are:
Toshiba 2SA-1146 and 2SC-2706

Thanks man.
The basically the restoration was made followings steps:
-The chassis was completely disassembled
-All parts, were cleaned one by one, several metal parts were washed with soap.
-All cables were replaced
-Several screws were replaced.
-The pcbs were washed with isopropylic alcohol and applied the protective resin
-Several small electrolytics were replaced.
-Volume potentiometer replaced.
-The electrolytic of power supply filter were replaced from 2 x 4700uF by 2 x 10.000uF.
-The pair output transistors of 1 channel were replaced by originals
-Reactivation of Super A circuitry
-The original VU led were green, yellow and red, so I decided to change the leds by new ones, with color white and blue.
-The VU window, knobs and pannel were polite.
-And some other things.

Yes, it was a lot of work, actually 3 weeks, working on weekends or at night after the work. But the result was a prize. Beautiful, clear and “warm” sound, punch bass.
It has aprox 90WRMS (8ohms) total power output, but sounds like a 200WRMS amp.

Note: Below is the photo of pcb power amp before assembly. Here is an enhancement: the Super A bias transistors were glued with epoxy in an aluminum base and assembled to heat sink. I had to do this because the original solution was very poor.
Regards,
Julio.

Attachments

• 100_0304_a.jpg
    100_0304_a.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 596
It has 42WRMS per channel in 8ohms or 60WRMS in 4ohms.
The rails voltages are -37v +37v with load.
The amp weights 6.2kg.

The heat sink is divided in 2 parts. One is assembled on pcb and the main part is assembled on chassis. On below photo you can see it.

Attachments

• 100_0262_a.jpg
    100_0262_a.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 545
Very good, you made some "overhaulin" in your machine

Very good work, and very good amplifier, sounds very nice....a precious unit...take care of it, there's a lot of guys searching for this model in used shops.

Very well constructed, small, ligthweigth, heavy sound, slim line, good range on controls...very nice.

Este som é muito legal.

Carlos

Attachments

• bacana.jpg
    bacana.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 477
I use to put amplifiers under watter and soap and i forget them there for some hours.

Of course transformers and galvanometers, meters, are removed.

them i use some soft brush and finished with watter under pressure and air under pressure.

Them it rest under the sunligth for some hours.

When rust is found, i use some chemical material that finishes with rust, and them varnish over the old rust parts....if not nice...steel brush give a nice finish in the oxide attacked parts....not common on Gradiente, they normally do not have problems of oxide.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• legal.jpg
    legal.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 314
Julio, obrigado, thank you.

Very kind from you.

Falado amigo, na boa, obrigadão.....mas poderia me instruir como achar o arquivo lá...só encontrei a pagina geral cheia de propagandas.

Thank you, but can you, please, instruct me how to find the file there?, i found only the home page with many advertising, no link to archived files there.

To be faster, can you send them to my mail?

nanabrother@yahoo.com

regards,

Carlos

Carlos,
Clique no link, quando abrir a pagina va ate a parte inferior da pagina, clique no botao "free".
Abre-se uma nova tela, que pede que voce aguarde cerca de 30 segundos. Apos este tempo, na parte inferior da tela, aparece um codigo de 3 letras coloridas. Voce digita este codigo no campo indicado e o download inicia.

Qualquer problema, é só avisar.

Valeu.
Julio.

This schematic is almost the same of this Super A, auto bias , class A to AB Gradient

Receiver...the model is 366 or something...i do not remenber exactly the model, i have to search for it...for the correct model numbers.

It works with triple darlington in the output, have the same kind of protection, and this one has a dinamic bias.... low power it works in class A, and very hot..... when power increase it reduces the bias to operate in class AB.

It was the best amplifier ever made, from Gradiente, to home use...i suppose was a JVC license design.

If someone interested....i will attach the pdf in the next mail.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• super a to ab, gradiente, auto bias switch.jpg
    super a to ab, gradiente, auto bias switch.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 291
Gradiente

the model is 366 or something...i do not remenber exactly the model, i have to search for it...for the correct model numbers.

It works with triple darlington in the output, have the same kind of protection, and this one has a dinamic bias.... low power it works in class A, and very hot..... when power increase it reduces the bias to operate in class AB.

It was the best amplifier ever made, from Gradiente, to home use...i suppose was a JVC license design.

Carlos,
You are wright, the amps M166, M246 and M366 have basically the same amplifier stage configurantion. The diference is the power of trafo and the simetric rail voltages:
M166 = +/-37Vcc
M246 = +/-42Vcc
M366 = +/-48Vcc

Best Regards,
Julio

Re: Nice amplifier Binary....muito bom mesmo

binary said:
Thanks man.
The basically the restoration was made followings steps:
-The chassis was completely disassembled
-All parts, were cleaned one by one, several metal parts were washed with soap.
-All cables were replaced
-Several screws were replaced.
-The pcbs were washed with isopropylic alcohol and applied the protective resin
-Several small electrolytics were replaced.
-Volume potentiometer replaced.
-The electrolytic of power supply filter were replaced from 2 x 4700uF by 2 x 10.000uF.
-The pair output transistors of 1 channel were replaced by originals
-Reactivation of Super A circuitry
-The original VU led were green, yellow and red, so I decided to change the leds by new ones, with color white and blue.
-The VU window, knobs and pannel were polite.
-And some other things.

Yes, it was a lot of work, actually 3 weeks, working on weekends or at night after the work. But the result was a prize. Beautiful, clear and �warm� sound, punch bass.
It has aprox 90WRMS (8ohms) total power output, but sounds like a 200WRMS amp.

Note: Below is the photo of pcb power amp before assembly. Here is an enhancement: the Super A bias transistors were glued with epoxy in an aluminum base and assembled to heat sink. I had to do this because the original solution was very poor.
Regards,
Julio.

Julio, nice work !

It is very nice to do a restoration job on such wonderful units such as the Gradiente M-166. It is a classic ! Your time was surely well spent as it is important to threat these jewels with care. Now the amplifier will give you many more years of pleasure.

VU looks nice !

Again, congratulations !

João Pedro

destroyer X said:
This is the best amplifier made in the eighties, one of the best we have made in this country.... it is one of the five best ones.

Este amplificador � excelente, eu adoro a sonoridade d�le, e voc� fez um belo trabalho, parab�ns.

regards,

Carlos

Olá Carlos, Como está ?

How are you doing, friend ? Assembling many amplifiers ?? Still looking for the LAB Schematics ?

Abraços,

João Pedro

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.