Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Simple Killer Amp - Listening impressions
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd January 2009, 08:45 AM   #831
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
R.I.P.

a pair of F fuses on the supply rails achieves the same protection and can run a smaller value fuse since each gets a cool down period during the rectified AC signal that passes.
Quasi recommends fuse rating of half of maximum Irms into your speaker load. Using this indicates F1.6A or F2A for 100W into 8r0.
I suspect from my full power testing into resistive loads that the fuse can be even smaller and still not suffer nuisance blowing.
Old 28th January 2009, 05:12 AM   #832
sangram is offline sangram  India
diyAudio Member

Default Commercial amp or GB150kit?

I'm hunting for an amp to partner my Usher BE-718s. Old-timers will remember I was considering the GB-150s to partner my Dynaudio BM6, but I'm happy running those off a paralleled LM3886, which drives them to high levels for nearfield monitoring, without running out of current (the Dynes are 4 ohm, 86 db/w and I sit about a meter away from them).

The Ushers very good speakers, and are fairly revealing (not in a very harsh way) of the quality of upstream equipment. Plus, they're 85 db/W as per John Atkinson's measurements, so they need voltage, but they're not particularly demanding of high current. So far, I'm using a single LM3886 per side with lots of capacitance to drive the amps, and though the sound is acceptable it runs out of steam early due to the low sensitivity, and is a little 'cold' and 'hard', probably due to the chip itself.

I'm looking out for an amp that is natural and neutral, with lots of voltage drive. My choices were commercial amps in the <$2000 range, or the GB150 kit from Greg. I don't mind a DIY kit, I love fiddling around but need it to be somewhat plug and play.

Would any of you have had a chance to compare your (or anyone else's) GB150s to commercial equipment and if yes, what were your impressions? I'm currently considering the Cambridge Audio 840AV2, the Vincent SP331-MK, Usher R1.5 and the Odyssey Stratos as alternatives. The GB150D kit is 1/3rd the price, but I'm not really looking to save money, only to get as good a sound as I possibly can. Of course the 840 and the 331 are frontrunners due to the 150 w/ch ratings, the Ushers and Odyssey are lower output and may not present a step up from the 3886.

Thanks for your opinions and help.
Old 16th February 2009, 01:58 PM   #833
Gabdx1 is offline Gabdx1  Canada
diyAudio Member

I think SKA audio can build you a 300 watts amplifier in the price range (2k). GB300 -- Greg's amps have lots of gain and very good for like 85 DB sensitivity speakers.

IMO it really depends on the speakers your plugging the amp - and the preamp, foreplay tube amps are very good, optivol with skapre also...

IMO ska beats lots of amps in the neutrality, natural high and midrange, lack of digital sound.

Because i think* they are neutral the bass is somewhat just in the middle, its just very detailed... some like some don't

I remember quite well the cam 840av2 - its clean - multitexture of the sound - but IMO you can hear electronics... and the sound stage is not as good... still there is strong points to the cambridge, its well priced. Since i have the ska the only amp that compares to it is the creek destiny - but i do not have the same speakers... my ska is on DIY open baffle and the destiny was listened with harbeths - very different speakers.

I hope this helps.... also just to let you know i can build you a modified gb300 or gb150, but my price would probably be higher than Greg's.
Old 16th February 2009, 05:33 PM   #834
sangram is offline sangram  India
diyAudio Member

Carting it halfway across the world isn't so exciting either

I can build it myself - but since I have this option open, was wondering which way to go.
Old 16th February 2009, 05:52 PM   #835
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Default Re: Commercial amp or GB150kit?

Quote:
Originally posted by sangram

I love fiddling around but need it to be somewhat plug and play.

That could be amp-module from "www.aussieamplifiers"
Old 16th February 2009, 06:46 PM   #836
diyAudio Member

Yes, and also AKSA,,, also from australia lol

NewCLASSD - they have lot of protection and exactly like you want : plug and play, no adjustments required etc.

Personnaly i strongly recommend the CREEK destiny , it is an integrated amplifier that I like.
Old 17th February 2009, 03:18 AM   #837
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Gabdx1,
Interesting. Do you still have your Destiny, or was it just something you previewed?

I am pretty familiar with that amp.

-Chris
Old 17th February 2009, 01:13 PM   #838
diyAudio Member

Its based on shopping experience listened to it around 1 hour (at planetofsound on bank street = very good audio shop, the salesman is very friendly and his systems are the best i have heared so far : Simons Yorke ? record player, harbeth speakers, audio research amps... the match is like heaven , I went at Codell audio in Montreal and I didnt had a good experience.

Last year i was looking for cd-amp-speakers just under 10k

I finaly ended up with diy speakers, sony player, and vp845, bottlehead gears (very good) did all kind of modifications.... and now I have the ska with Sound-noise of around 100 db it is perfect for paper drivers with 100 = no hum at all after I cured the ground loop issue.

My cd players include, blu-ray, sony707, 610es (broken now by me), and dbx dx5, that ill modify to death : dexa regulator, clock, independant passive iv with discrete // class A output etc. I just LOVE to play with electronics.
Old 18th February 2009, 05:32 AM   #839
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Gabdx1,
Sounds like you learned a lot.

Gunnar is a good guy. Generally knows his stuff and treats people well.

-Chris
Old 18th February 2009, 12:38 PM   #840
diyAudio Member

Cool, nice to meet you Chris.

I am a French-Canadian, and I don't pretend to know anything about electronics or stereo in general. My background is more musician and music lover. But since my youngest age I wanted to know how things are made and have a passion for listening music, I used to sit on the carpet near the speakers with a never-ending awe.

My audio philosophy:
When you chose a stereo itís like choosing an instrument, none sound the same. Many* people don't hear the difference between different sounds, accuracy, pitch, clarity, fundamentals, harmonics... - the ear needs to be trained. Also your music taste will influence your pick of components. If there was an *accurate* way to reproduce sound at all the best studio in the world would be sitting same equipment

The ear is also easy fooled and this is what I try to avoid
: hifi that crystallize sound and make it irritant and lifeless, hifi that diminish the dynamic range and pretends to have lots of details, hifi that just pretends..., low-fi that pretends to sound better than hifi, people with no education in music (: rock witch is mostly distortion) judging what sounds good. I can think of many other things : but to finish : racial differences, like chineses or japanese don't have the same sound preference, because the ear is trained or adapted ( evolution) to hear better in some frequency of the native language.

What I am looking for and nearly reached : flat response in the room (35 - 18khertz), life-like dynamics - absence of digital/tube artifacts - purity of the output sound wave for sine wave, magic : 3d - event transportation - realism.

Simple Killer Amp - Listening impressionsHide this!Advertise here!