Simple Killer Amp - Listening impressions - Page 51 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd May 2006, 07:44 AM   #501
KLe is offline KLe  Australia
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by float
Hi KLe, can you say any more about the Halcro comparison? System used, areas where they differ etc. I think the halcros (pre and 68 monos) are maybe a little dry, but superb detail and control, quite hard to fault really.
Hi float
Yes, the Hacro (stereo model) was exactly as you have written, but, Greg's gb300d doesn't have that dryness and the detail and control are quite similar (IMHO).

I think that dryness makes the Hacro a little lean in the mid bass and perhaps even upper bass, whereas the gb300d is quite full and involving in those areas.

The Hacro might be a little better in the highs, although I quite enjoy the gb300d's highs. Having said that a little more air would be nice.

I suppose the other aspect to consider is most definitely ... price! No comparision here.

Old 2nd June 2006, 08:55 AM   #502
KLe is offline KLe  Australia
Banned

Hi float
Any more details to report about your GB150D amps
thanks
Old 13th June 2006, 09:21 PM   #503
Pasi P is offline Pasi P  Finland
diyAudio Member

Hi all,

I promised to give some more impressions with SKA:s. So here it is.

I have listened now some 30 hours and SKA:s have been powered on all nights long to quick possible need of the burn in.
Very good thing is that nothing has started to irritate after listening it for a while now. I have sometimes found that some equipment can sound very good first but then you can find something not so good properties in a long run. That seems not to be the case with SKA:s

First, as i said in my first impressions also, SKA plays music and after listening with them for a while, i found it is quite difficult to analyse sound because you very soon forget being analytic and found you listening to music.
I can not say these amps are "musical", because maybe i am not sure what this strange word mean. But i know something about how music sounds in live performance, especially with unamplified instruments. And SKA:s are doing that "live feeling" very well. That is most important thing to me with any equipment. Well recorded unamplified istruments, and music of cource, sounds very natural. And natural is what i love and looking for. What else can there be?

Anyway, some "cold" analysis from sound because i am not familiar to use eloquent musical terms.

I feel SKA:s are dynamic, transparent, not "cold" or "warm", just neutral and very easy to listen. You can use high sound levels if you want without listening fatique.

Treble is very detailed and transparent. I have even found some area of the treble bit harsh. But only bit and only with few (pop)recordings. I cannot point that it is fault of the amplifier, more likely i tend to think that SKA:s only reveal mistakes/compression/limitation made in recordings more than my previous amps. I have not found that thing at all with any of my previous amps what i have used with Orions. Orions treble is not over pronounced at all. Overall treble is very good and suits very well to Orion and my taste. Especially added detail and "air" to upper treble is very velcome.
Good thing is that fine tuning of the treble is very easy adding more or less absorbtive material to first reflections points. Level of the treble can also easily adjusted from active crossover.

Midrange area sounds simply neutral. Nothing is jumping up and i feel this is the most important thing that makes SKA so easy to listen. I do not know if midrange is bit less detailed and transparent than treble area, or is it simply so neutral.

I am using now my 4ch UCD amp with woofers (crossover point 120Hz) , so i cannot say very much what is SKA:s performance in bass area but anyway bass and lower midrange is very tight and dynamic. It will be interesting to try SKA:s also in woofers but i do not plan to build any more amps for now and i doubt that very much improvement is not possible in that area. I think that UCD is superior woofer amp.

I feel that i can now forget to think if i have to build or buy better amps and enjoy listening music instead. (Well, maybe i will update my CD-player but this is totally different story..)

All in all, SKA is very good simple amp design and i cannot resist to recommend to try it if possible. It is very easy to build and adjust and is not expensive.

This is how i feel now. These words are of course only my personal thougts, not general truth in any means.
If i have something to point later, i will write it up.

PS. I have now polypropylene caps installed to RCA inputs and i will take these away. I will report if this change something.
At this point i do not feel there is need to tweak SKA:s but let see if i will try some better electrolytic caps some day. Even Greg has pointed there should not be any need for that.

I will also try to add metal enclosure around transformer and put shield over cable from power supply to module. That is only for fun, There is no any hum or noise. Amps are very silent.

By the way, are there any other Orion owners using SKA:s? It will be very interesting to hear your opinions.

PS2. DIY rules. Only CD player and DAC are commercial

Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_2682.jpg (52.9 KB, 824 views)
Old 13th June 2006, 09:58 PM   #504
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I can not say these amps are "musical", because maybe i am not sure what this strange word mean.
No one know what that word means because it's a typical "weazle word" that writers use when they either have nothing to say or they're being disengenuous (i.e. they really think an amp they're reviewing sux, but it's also from a major advertiser).

Don't worry, you explained what you actually heard, and that's really what we want to see anyway.
Old 14th June 2006, 02:42 AM   #505
hifryer is offline hifryer  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default SKA listening Review pic

Hi Pasi P,

I was intrigued by your thumb nail pic. Can you describe what is in the boxes. Are the two middle ones 2 boxes or 4? Are they divided some way left and right? How is your SKA laid out in the box? Did you build in one box or monoblocks? From pic with side heatsinks, middle 2 look like two stereo amps. Both SKA's???

Thanks
Old 14th June 2006, 05:57 AM   #506
diyAudio Member

Default Re: SKA listening Review pic

Quote:
Originally posted by hifryer
Hi Pasi P,

I was intrigued by your thumb nail pic. Can you describe what is in the boxes. Are the two middle ones 2 boxes or 4? Are they divided some way left and right? How is your SKA laid out in the box? Did you build in one box or monoblocks? From pic with side heatsinks, middle 2 look like two stereo amps. Both SKA's???

Thanks
Hi hifryer,

Yes, SKA:s are 4 monoblocks in the middle.
(4ch UCD is the lowest and Orion active crossover+6ch DACT stepped attenuator is uppest.)

http://www.diyhifi.org/forums/viewto...?p=12798#12798
http://www.diyhifi.org/forums/viewto...?p=12799#12799
Old 14th June 2006, 07:09 AM   #507
hifryer is offline hifryer  Australia
diyAudio Member

Very nice setup Pasi P!!

but your supplied links failed - Internal Server errors.
Old 14th June 2006, 07:35 AM   #508
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hifryer
Very nice setup Pasi P!!

but your supplied links failed - Internal Server errors.
Thanks

Strange, links works ok to me.
Old 14th June 2006, 08:07 AM   #509
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I can not say these amps are "musical", because maybe i am not sure what this strange word mean.
You'll know it when you hear it.
Old 14th June 2006, 08:13 AM   #510
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by traderbam
You'll know it when you hear it.
Well maybe..

But is the live performance musical?
Can Musicality of the audio equipment be something above real thing?

If not, i have heard top-end Musicality hundreds of times

PS.
Sorry but i feel that this "Musicality" is something too cultivated and complicated area for me. I am a simply man
I prefer to listen live performance and something that is quite near to that from audio equipments. Simply, isnt it

Hide this!Advertise here!