Back to basics: Relationship between Amp and Impedance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is the impedance curve for the ksn1016a extracted from the Motorola datasheet, so it looks like a 130nF capacitor in series with a small resistor. You can see why it is normal to use an external series resistor to stop the amplifier oscillating

Attachments

• ksn1016.png
    ksn1016.png
    37.6 KB · Views: 102
Hi All,
I went into the restaurant this weekend and I can finally present the solution.
My initial suspicions about 8ohm speakers turned out to be untrue as the ceiling speakers in this restaurant are indeed all 100V line types.
"Damn!" I though, there goes my easy explaination.

Actually the explanation was even simpler:
The Amp they're using is a Monacor PA Head and it's Mono.
Unfortunately, the only channel with phono connectors is Channel four and Monacor have put a regular Stereo phono block into the chassis (one White and one Red) - So the installers connected the white and red from the CD player to the White and Red of the AMP - Logical? Well, No!
The Red connector is the MONO PlayBack Input but the White connector is actually the MONO Record OUTPUT - When we were applying a line level signal IN to the Rec Out port the sound was badly distorting inside the Amp.
As soon as I removed that connector, the sound was as good as 100V Full-Range ceiling speakers can be! :)

One thing I do need to decide now (and you might all help here), In order not to loose the sound from the left channel (currently disconnected) I can either:
1) Make a Phono 'Y' connector and put both channels into the one input
2) Make a 2xphono -> 2x Mono Jack cable and connect each stereo channel to a separate Amp channel.

Option 1 seems most favourable to me for 'easy of use' but I don't know if it will do something particularly nasty to the sound.

Cheers
Jonathan

Ovation said:
I can either:
1) Make a Phono 'Y' connector and put both channels into the one input
2) Make a 2xphono -> 2x Mono Jack cable and connect each stereo channel to a separate Amp channel.

Option 1 seems most favourable to me for 'easy of use' but I don't know if it will do something particularly nasty to the sound.

Cheers
Jonathan

I would recomend that you check (if possible) on the min load (RL)for the CD player (probably about 10 K ? ) and then make up the lead you suggest, but put a resistor in series with each signal of half the min load (RL). this will give each channel from the CD player a load (approx.) greater than its specified RL. This does assume that the input resistance of the amplifier is equal to or greater than the specified min RL.

In the absence of information I would suggest the use of 4k7 resistors.

This should permit the two signals to 'mix' in a reasonable way, and not overload the CD.
I have used this technique in the past for a similar situation, and the sound was very acceptable. In practice this is the way (or very similar to the way) that most stereo amplifiers use for the Momo switch.

Richard
;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.