can you build a reciever ? cheap ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
can a novice build a reciever ? i mean i want a heavy simple receiver but im no electical god here by any means and im not rich ...... so im not gunna blow 3-5k on some super receiver .. id consider 2-4 hundered to build one that was simple and would last a long time .. and if anything happened i could fix it .. cuz i built it ! any thoughts ? any kits ?or am im just crazy ?

Hi v1d9uy,

The tuner section worthy of any quality would be very complex and would cost maybe 2 - 5 times what you could buy a quality consumer tuner off the shelf. I would couple this to a DIY pre-amp and power amp.

I do recall seeing a kit from the 1990's that I may be able to dig out for you. It had a digital display and some basic memory functinality but the circuitry and layout are very involved. Let me know if you would like me to find it.

Cheers

Hello,
Lets analyze your question.
You want something you could be able to repair yourself. But you aren’t so good in working with electronics. And probably you have not a wide experience on radio circuits.
Let me give you a suggestion. Once upon a time, I was in your same condition. But I wanted a real superheterodina receiver for long, medium, short waves and FM. FM stereo was not yet invented.
The quest was your own. I failed, many times. I spent a lot of resources on trying. But when I decided to study, dismounting old radios and taking advice from how they where made. After reading books, bought instrumentation, and started from … one valve receiver. After many years I succeeded, I built a full superheterodina with eight tubes capable of receiving from long to short waves to FM with stereo discriminator and It was a great achieving. After that, the next was the same receiver but with transistors. And after some failures I succeeded. After that I got interested in digital electronics and started building a PC with Z80 and CP/M, it was in the late 70’s. They are all still working, computer too. But, they are all projects for a life. Like to reach a doctoral degree. They all are projects for live. No matter what difficult they builds up. And achieving a goal like this is of a very great satisfaction.
But, if you are looking for a new tuner for your stereo… Just drop it. Save money and buy a shiny new made in Taiwan, Korea o China, tuner.
Thanks for reading cheers
Larry.

Is there a kind of corrector in the forum?
I wrote "projects for a life" and it shows "projects for live" ? :bigeyes:

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Simple answer. Yes.

But as your pre is already broken, I suggest you try fixing that first, as it is likely from your symptoms that you just have some dry solder joints. You will need a small tipped soldering iron and some solder, not wasted money, as you will need them later if you build your own.

Unplug the unit from the mains, and open it up. Take a couple of pics, and post them here, then we can tell you what to do next.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi v1d9uy,
Your Sony may have something as simple as cracked solder connections where the jacks are soldered to the PC board.

Patience, soldering iron and solder. Take your time. Don't add too much solder to the joints.

Use your eyes and your head. ;)

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.