Optimal grounding scheeme - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th January 2006, 01:06 PM   #11
klitgt is offline klitgt  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkmouse
Common ground first.

Sorry, I suffer from a cold that may block my ability to understand. Could you explain what you mean?
Old 16th January 2006, 01:11 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Christer

There are fairly cheap insulated and gold plated ones too, if one can only find the right place to buy them. There is what seems to be a generic type that is sold around the world, but prices vary. Here in Sweden I can buy a pair of two for less than 3 at BilTema, while Elfa used to sell them for about twice that price for a single one. BilTema seems only to have two stores in Denmark (Aalborg and Naestved), but I am sure there are other companies selling them too. I have seen exactly tha same type on many photos of equipment on this forum from around the world.

http://www.biltema.se/products/produ...?iItemId=78714

Hm, and now when I checked them up to provide the link, I see they now look a little bit different from the ones I have bought earlier, but they are still isolated and gold-plated.

Correct, this type is for sale everywhere. But beware! Most of them do not have a fixed center pin. It rotates with the RCA plug you may rotate to get it in or out, and imagine what happens to the wire soldered at the inside og the enclosure.
So before you buy make sure they have a fixed center pin!
Old 16th January 2006, 01:17 PM   #13
lineup is offline lineup  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by klitgt
The RCA sockets in my project are all but one isolated from the enclosure.
My last question was whether this wire should go to the PSU minus pole before going to the common PCB ground point, OR go from the jack-sleeves directly to the common PCB ground point and then onwards to the PSU minus pole as a "dead end"?
Most used solution is separate pin at amp input at PCB.
At this is connected.:
input signal ground+potentiometer ground+amp input resistor ground

From this ground goes a track to PCB common ground = power supply ground connection.

-------

To make connection to PCB common ground is possible, too.

And, not often but sometimes, making all ground connections directly to power supply capacitors negative is used.
Old 16th January 2006, 01:22 PM   #14
diyAudio Moderator

You said:

Quote:
Originally posted by klitgt
...OR go from the jack-sleeves directly to the common PCB ground point and then onwards to the PSU minus pole as a "dead end"?
Then I said:

Quote:
Common ground first.
Make sense now?

In your terminology, all ground runs should be "dead ends" where possible.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 16th January 2006, 01:22 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lineup

Most used solution is separate pin at amp input at PCB.
At this is connected.:
input signal ground+potentiometer ground+amp input resistor ground

From this ground goes a track to PCB common ground = power supply ground connection.

Hi lineup, just one thing that may confuse you (and others): I run a +/- PSU, not a +/0/- PSU, the latter always has 0 as ground. My PSU has - (minus) going to ground.
Old 16th January 2006, 01:26 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You said:

Then I said:

Make sense now?

In your terminology, all ground runs should be "dead ends" where possible.

Thank you, now I understand everything perfectly!
Old 16th January 2006, 04:21 PM   #17
Lovan is offline Lovan  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Lovan
Quote:
Originally posted by Christer
Hm, and now when I checked them up to provide the link, I see they now look a little bit different from the ones I have bought earlier, but they are still isolated and gold-plated.

I have no idea why they are using that picture since they are still selling the version with white washers(I presume that's what you were refering to). Have got quite a lot of those in my bin. Somehow I doubt they are good sound though...
Old 16th January 2006, 04:37 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lovan

I have no idea why they are using that picture since they are still selling the version with white washers(I presume that's what you were refering to). Have got quite a lot of those in my bin. Somehow I doubt they are good sound though...
White washsers, yes, that's the ones I was referring to, and I am also quite sure i had a look in those shelves and saw them as late as just a few days before Christmas. As far as I can tell they are identical to the ones Elfa used to have at a much higher price. They are hardly very high quality, considering the low price, and that they seem to show up here and there, all over the world, usually relabelled with the brand of the company selling them.

Hide this!Advertise here!