Replacing NE5532 Op-Amps with AD827?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello All,

I am new to the site and have enjoyed (and learned quite a bit) many threads that I have read so far. I am a novice DIY but I love moding my gear and am constantly trying to take it to the next step along with my knowledge.

I have a Rotel RA930AX and a Marantz CD63 that both have extensive mods. I have replaced the NE5532s in both units with AD827s.

Is this ok?, could I do better and with what part?

Thanks

KevinLee

I know you won't like this answer, but it depends on the application.
NE5532 is a dual, low noise, bipolar input device with a beefy (for an op amp) output stage.

For example, if you are replacing NE5532 parts in the RIAA equalizer, the AD827 may generate much more noise. That may or may not matter to you.

If you are driving long cables, a "low" power amp input impedance, a low value pot for volume control or some other circumstance that needs the ability to drive 600 ohm loads with a high level of performance, not many parts can do that unassisted.

Now after said all that, drop in a OPA2604 and see what you think.
;)

mlloyd1

Thanks for the advice,

When I put the AD827s in my gear they were all the rage at The Parts Connection. I think they are better than the original NE5532 but should I be using something different for the CD and something different again for the pre-amp stage of the Rotel.

I guess trial and error is sometimes worthwhile.

KevinLee

I know you won't like this answer, but it depends on the application.
NE5532 is a dual, low noise, bipolar input device with a beefy (for an op amp) output stage.

For example, if you are replacing NE5532 parts in the RIAA equalizer, the AD827 may generate much more noise. That may or may not matter to you.

If you are driving long cables, a "low" power amp input impedance, a low value pot for volume control or some other circumstance that needs the ability to drive 600 ohm loads with a high level of performance, not many parts can do that unassisted.

Now after said all that, drop in a OPA2604 and see what you think.
;)

mlloyd1
Even include record surface noise ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.