A broken cambridge audio A1 MK3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This amp seems to have an internal fuse poping problem. When I replaced the fuses the internal outputs, well the chips attached to the big heatsinks, marked TDA1514A got hot and smoked.

Well you can't get these chips easily so was wondering what other chip would fit in it's place. As I would rather fix the amplifier than bin it.

Thanks for the help and advice

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi katanassn,
I've replaced many of those IC's. It comes down to customer abuse, one short is enough to do it. I don't know of a plug in sub.

So mastertech is right, replace chip(s) and then fuses. Clean and regrease the heatsink in the course of your repair. Make sure the load (wires and speakers) is okay before reconnecting.

-Chris

Thanks everybody for the help and advice

baggins said:
Ive just been robbing components (caps) off an old tele pcb and there is a TDA 2514 markes on the board as audio and 2 connectors audio left/right nearby if this is any use to you I,ll yank it out and post it to you .

Bill.

Thanks for the offer but I need two 1514a. There is someone selling them on here for a few euro's so that what i'll probably do.

I don't know what caused them to pop but as I let a friend borrow it and it returned popped so he could have shorted the speaker cables.

Should i remove the chips and see what the supply voltages are to the chips so I can see if it's in chips tolerances tolerances or just swap them and hope?

I,m no great shakes as an electronics engineer (HNC Mech Eng.)
but my advice would be to find out which pins the 1514 feeds its outputs to and measure the resistance to earth in case of a dead short somewhere .Other than that check the vcc and earth rails are all at their quoted volts BEFORE replacing the chips.I hope this advice is correct its what I would do but there are far wiser heads than mine on these forums!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.