want to start amplifier building!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello

i have already built a DIY sub and gotten stunning results.

i have put in my order for all the parts ill need for a pair of dayton 8 mtm speakers.

now id like to go the FULL diy route and build a little budget amplifier to drive the dayton 8s.

im not sure of the efficiency, so ill be pessimistic and say its 89db/w

i would like to build an amp kit, im looking for something with at LEAST 15w a channel although somkething closer to 40-50w/channel would be ideal.
im not wizard with a soldering iron, but have firends who are and dont mind learning!

my music tastes include
metal(death black speed thrash, its all good)
jazz
60s 70s rock
punk
ska

id like the amp to have enough headroom so that i can listen to music at 90db without getting compressed transients.

is all this realistic?

oh yeah and im on a budget its 210$CAD tax and shipping included, i know its tight but im only 15 so gimme a break

i also dont mind reading websites, learning how amps work, amp classes and all that stuff, im happy to learn.
oh yeah almost forgot
the source will be either a crative SBlive soundcard(with winamp handling resampling duties) and a really old yamaha cd player.

thanks in advance

Hello.

Not easy to say which amplifier.
There are so many.
At this forum you have many different projects.
Some more or less finished.
Some for experimenting, some under development.
Can be a problem there is not so good documentation, yet.

For a starter I think you should try some DIY amplifier project
that is mature, corrected and have been built by many and working.

Here is good and by DIY-builders wellknown website, with quite a few amplifier projects.
Good documentation and tested projects.

ESP - Elliott Sound Products - Power Amplifier Projects List
http://sound.westhost.com/projects-1.htm

There is also a support forum for these projects
where Rod Elliott himself sometimes answers.
ESP - Forum
http://sound.westhost.com/phpBB2/

There are many other alternatives.
I leave it to fellow members here to tell you.
Good luck!
:)

the 3a power amp sounds PERFECT bucketloads of power and apparantly very low distortion!

but when it comes to purchasing it im in the dark

are you paying for the pcb for a stero amp, the pcb for a monoblock amp, or two pcbs for a monoblock each.

IM SO CONFUSED

also if it is a stereo amp is it 60-80w summed or 60-80wpc?

on the website linked in the description it looks like by using different transistors a larger transformer and adequate heatsinking you cna get 250wpc out of it :hot: even if thats summed 125wpc is a ton of power. now he said this is with so called "expensive" transistors (8$ each), but diy amps are looking like more and more of a bargain!

xstephanx said:
the 3a power amp sounds PERFECT bucketloads of power and apparantly very low distortion!

but when it comes to purchasing it im in the dark

are you paying for the pcb for a stero amp, the pcb for a monoblock amp, or two pcbs for a monoblock each.

IM SO CONFUSED

also if it is a stereo amp is it 60-80w summed or 60-80wpc?

on the website linked in the description it looks like by using different transistors a larger transformer and adequate heatsinking you cna get 250wpc out of it :hot: even if thats summed 125wpc is a ton of power. now he said this is with so called "expensive" transistors (8$ each), but diy amps are looking like more and more of a bargain!

P3A is a very popular amplifier.
Many of members here have built.
There are 1000 of threads and posts about it here.

It is also highly regarding for good performance.

If there is anything you need advice while building, just ask
or even start your own topic for this
:) P3A xstephanx Amplifier :)

It is stereo 2x60 upto 2x80, depending what transformer you buy and how much Watt you want. There are different choices for high/low power and 4/8 Ohm version.
You need 1 transformer for a stereo 2x60 Watt.
I recommend you built the standard version with 35 Volt supply.
2x60 Watt is plenty!
Other chocies will take more of your money.

I was at the PCB page.
It is clear from reading, one PCB takes 2 amplifiers = stereo 2x60 (2x80)Watt.
So you need only buy 1 PCB.
The other components you will buy yourself. If you do not know where to buy in your country, just ask here in forum and you get info where is best prices.
There are several different Power Transistors you can use.
But transistors are never the expensive stuff.

Highest costs:
- 1 Transformer
- 1 Box, Case for housing amplifier
- 1 Heatsink
- 4.700uF (or 10.000uF) electrolytic capacitors for power supply
- 1 PCB
for a stereo 2x60 Watt

As I said, it is tons of info and very long threads here about P3A projects from members.
This is one thing that makes P3A a very good choice for your first amplifier.
Search for topics with 'P3A' in topic title
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/search.php?s=
Select 'Search titles only'

(Of course there are plenty of hits if you search 'P3A amplifier' with Google.)

I recognized your signature as a Bob Marley reggae song. But I didnt remember the title.
I found out with Google this song is called 'Johnny was'

xstephanx said:
the efficiency 89db/w, listen to music at 90db, is all this realistic?

Not realistic, with the loudspeaker and the music you like.
You might consider Guru Ball's amplifier design.
Efficient, the boards and components are cheap for the power figure. If you scavenge for parts you might get it done for the budget you are on. You could try asking someone here to supply you with the output devices, there should be plenty with a couple of leftovers.

ok i was looking at other poeples p3as, and they all have multiple pcbs in them, and preamps. i was thinking of using an old nikko reciever (with the tinyest power rating possable, its seriously like 5 watts a channel) as a preamp, and hten just building the p3a as a power amp. but looking at everyones amps, they started to look a wee bit expensive.

how much total will one of these cost me?

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
Check out the AMP5 (class d amplifier) kit from 41Hz - http://www.41hz.com/. The kit includes the PCB and all parts needed to populate the board but you'll still need to get a suitable transformer, enclosure, heatsink, input/output connectors, and probably some miscellaneous hardware. The kit with shipping will run you about 88USD which is close to 100CAD - which leaves half your budget (more than enough) to find a nice transformer, heatsink, case, and the other items. Of course this all assumes you have the equipment/supplies to solder and the necessary tools (or friends with tools :) ) to work on a bare metal case.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
Sure there are good and bad class d amps out there - same goes for just about any type of amp. The good ones (UCD, Zappulse) sound excellent over the entire spectrum. Most would say the Tripath based class d amps don't sound as good as the UCDs or Zappulse modules, but they're a lot cheaper ans still sound very good over the entire audio range. You sure won't be disappointed if you give the kit a try. And if you end up not liking it, which I doubt will happen, you can always use the transformer with another amp like the P3A since both of these amps can use +/-35V rails.

I would get the AVEL 250VA 25V+25V transformer from partsexpress. That should get you very close to 35V rails after rectification and it will have more than enough VA for the AMP5. If you only think you'll operate the AMP5 at low power you could get the 160VA 22V+22V and save a few bucks... but the 250VA is a better choice for just a little bit more.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
I was all about power too, until I listened to a Tripath based Sonic Impact amp. Since then I've found that sensitive single driver speakers (i.e. Fostex FE103E) paired with a low power class d amp (I currently use the AMP3, offered by 41hz) sound absolutely phenomenal at a price that just can't be beat. But getting another AMP5 down the road and running them bridged as monoblocks would be really cool as well :cool:

turns out the speakes im building are around 91db efficcient, that means i only needa bit over half the power i thought i needed. also i usually only sit 2-2.5m form my speakers, and its a small room.

i really like the idea of using LARGE amps, because running a large amp at a very low power means that the THD is very low, and that transients always come through clean and uncompressed. also if you need more headroom down the line, or want to use em to drive a pair of PA speakers,your monoblocks will work perfectly.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.