krell ksa 50 capasitor help needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Folks

I am looking to replace the 4 40000 uf 75vdc capacitors in my old krell ksa 50, but I am having no joy searching the internet.

Do I have to use exactly the same spec of components. if not what can I use and where can I get them.

please go easy on my as mechanics is my trade not electronics, I do understand V=IxR if that helps.

The amp seems to have difficalty drive ,bias and offset all check out on my meter also it heats up as normal.

it sounds as if you are feeding it a signal with no bass and lots of treble.

Im realy stumped on this one and any help would be most welcome.

Kindest regards:

Are you absolutely sure this is the power supply capacitors ? This could be a problem with the capacitors in the feedback path.

As for the power supply capacitors, you can use any similarly sized capacitors that have 75V or better voltage rating, and a similar amount of capacitance. While i've not seen the KSA 50, Krell usually use screw terminal capacitors. 47000uF 80/100V should work provided they physically fit

edit: Apparently the KSA 50 has 50V power supply rails. If that's the case, 63V rated capacitors will be fine.

Thanks guys.

The amp is a ksa 50 mk1 very early ,it shares a lot of parts with the orijinal ksa 100 so I suppose krell just used components at hand to build the 50.

I have found a few caps rated about 47000 100vdc the same size and also a few at 37000 uf 63 vdc.

Their is no bottom end to the sound things went pear shaped ages ago when I attempted to adgust the bias and managed to snap of a roc cap 16v 1000uf next to the bias pot. so I replaced all 4 with black gate ones then set up the bias and off set .

I keep on telling my self that I should leave things alone, but I cant help it, i HAVE TO TAKE THINGS TO BITS ETC.

Im not 100% sure the caps are dead people are suggesting that they may be the problem as the amp is 20 years old.

Any thoughts?

Resetting bias and offset is not bad, more like common sense.

If you have a MKI, and the big cans are the original ones, you can be sure that they are causing it. Or near death.
+20 years and those temperatures is a killer combo.
Only question i have is whether you replaced the 16V caps between the feedback resistor and ground in the right position, +and - where they belong ?

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Pic 1:

Attachments

• kampp_001.jpg
    kampp_001.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 265
I set the bias to 620 mv as per Loyds drawing.

The + should face the outer edges of the board and the - should face each other.

The black gate caps have a gold strip down one side which signifies + or- both gold strips are faceing each other. so they are mounted + - - + or - + + - either way you think that this wont cause the loss of bass?

As classic audio gear goes it should be kept all original if you want to maintain its actual value. I am pretty convinced that the KSA-50 clone thread has actually increased the value of KSA-50's in general. If it were my amp I wold be getting the Krell replacement caps right from the factory... if they will sell them to you. They should actually say Krell on them. They were probably chstom made and will be expensive to get .......... It all depends on how original you want to keep it.

Mark

Attachments

• 106679~3 copy.jpg
    106679~3 copy.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 250
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.