Yamaha RX-V650 AV Amp No Output From Front Right Speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I have a Yamaha RX-V650 amp with no output from the front right speaker. All other speakers are fine.

I have swapped the speaker and the cable.

I have also moved both front speakers from the "A" output to the "B" output, with the same results.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

I have searched for schematics online but cannot find any.

Thanks.

I have a service manual for a RX-V630/730. Does your unit have a test function on the remote? If so , connect all speakers ,power up unit and press the test button you should get a test tone from each speaker one at a time LF,RF,LR,RR,CTR AND SUB ( not necessarily in that order) .. If there is no test feature check to see if you dont just have a dirty source input connection or possibly dirty selector switch,or volume control.
:smash:

rowemeister said:
I would check the muting relay , they have been known to carbon up on the contacts.
The left and right channel will share the same relay, so at least you know its switching.

Also check for dry joints on the output binding posts, these may have dry jointed on the pcb.

I've had it apart today, resoldered the joints on the output binding posts.

How do I check the relay? I was going to replace it but can't locate where to buy one from.

Couldn't see anything obviously faulty (burnt etc.)

XEAGLEKEEPER said:
I have a service manual for a RX-V630/730. Does your unit have a test function on the remote? If so , connect all speakers ,power up unit and press the test button you should get a test tone from each speaker one at a time LF,RF,LR,RR,CTR AND SUB ( not necessarily in that order) .. If there is no test feature check to see if you dont just have a dirty source input connection or possibly dirty selector switch,or volume control.
:smash:

Yes, there is a test function, there's no test tone from the front right, a test tone is audible on all of the others.

The auto setup also fails saying no front right speaker.

Are there any specific parts in your service manual that you think I should check please? I'm hoping the rx-v650 is quite similar!

Thanks for everybody's help, I've finally got around to taking it apart again and think I've found the problem by measuring the voltages on each component in the circuit (working back from the posts) and comparing to the equivalent component on the front left circuit with the help of the circuit diagram. I used a mono sound source.

There seems to be a faulty transistor (hugely different readings), the problem is I cannot find an equivalent anywhere.

The original transistor is a 2N5551C-AT but I can only find a 2N5551. The supplier that sells it (www.maplins.co.uk part no. UL36P) cannot find any spec sheets for the original either.

Can anybody help with regard to the suitability please?

Many thanks,

Alan.

Re: 2N5551

XEAGLEKEEPER said:
Hello Granny
The transistor in question should do fine provided it is a TO-92 package. If you still need further assurance go to www.mouser.com and search for 2N5551 there are several choices with techdata.

Thank you very much for the info and taking the time to help me out. I will post an update when I have replaced the transistor.

Many thanks.

Yamaha+2N****??:bigeyes: Does it really call for that in the service manual?? That's a bit unusual for Yamaha. They usually stuck with Japanese numbered (2S, 2SB, 2SC, 2SD, 2SJ, 2SK, etc) parts. I'm not trying to cause a problem, but it looks like things have changed for Yamaha.

OK, replacing the transistor didn't make any difference, so I need to supply a few more details:

The speakers that are normally connected are 6 ohm.

The speakers that I have been using for testing it are 8 ohm.

When the 8ohm speakers are connected there is sound from both channels but the faulty channel is distorted.

If the original speakers are connected then there is only the occasional noise from the faulty channel.

Does this help at all?

Thanks.

XEAGLEKEEPER said:
Hello Granny
On the rear of my HTR 5560 there is a switch that must be in the 8 ohm or 6ohm position (depending on speakers used )and should not be changed from 6or8 with power applied.This may not be your problem but It won't cost anything to investigate.

There's a switch on my amp also. I can confirm that it was set correctly (with the power off) for each set of speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.