substituting mosfets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a design I want to try, but it uses the 2SK2221 and the 2SJ352 as drivers. These devices are extremely expensive where I live (+350euro per piece!!) so I would like to substitute them with other mosfets like the IRFP9140 and IRFP140.
Is it really that simple? Or am I about to make a big mistake?

Peter

If you are checking Farnell then their price for 2SK2221 seems incorrect (EUR 434). They sell 2SJ352 at Euro 4.78 a piece and 2SK2221 is EUR 12 in Sweden at Farnell. Should be similar elsewhere.

Try other places before deciding on a replacement.

The Gate-to-Source voltages are quite different on thr IRF part and these Hitachi (?) parts so they would not be drop-in replacements I suspect.

/UrSv

Price

Petervg said:
I have a design I want to try, but it uses the 2SK2221 and the 2SJ352 as drivers. These devices are extremely expensive where I live (+350euro per piece!!) so I would like to substitute them with other mosfets like the IRFP9140 and IRFP140.
Is it really that simple? Or am I about to make a big mistake?

It looks to me as if there's a printing error on that price. Probably is 3.50 euros. Why don't yo ucheck with them?

Carlos

Peter,

Don't substitute with IRFxxx which are different (not lateral Mosfets), and exhibit considerable temperature coefficient at low currents, causing thermal distortion (and even thermal failure) if not biased with special arrangement.

You can use 2SJ162 and 2SK1058 which are very similar. These parts are available in France at www.electronique-diffusion.fr for resp. 16.80 and 8.40 Eu. per unit. The correct item numbers in their catalog are TR2SJ162 and TR2SK1058.

Regards, Pierre Lacombe.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.