JLH with a differential input stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I have built the 15W JLH amplifier and it produces the best sound I have heard.

My system was a Marantz CD63 + NAD 3225PE Integrated amp + Wharfedale Delta 1 speakers. I tried the JLH15W and the sound was so good I have sold the NAD!

I am interested in experimenting with this amp further (I will build one more for experimenting).

Has anyone modified the input stage of the JLH to a 'differential input' ? What was the result?

Cheers,

Dr. Mohan

Graham Maynard published a series of articles entitled Class-A imagineering in Electronics World Magazine back in 2004. The September 2004 issue had a schematic for a 25W 8ohm version with bipolar supplies and differential input. Supposed to be faster than the original JLH, better power supply rejection ratio to simplify power supply design, and he claimed less phase error from 12Hz to 25Khz.

He invited folks to put one together using a pizza box for the circuit board (very quick, very cheap) and try it for yourself.

I haven't gotten to try it yet, but since I don't want to build a power supply that's bigger or more complex than the amplifier, and I don't like 60 Hz hum very much, I would like to build a pair of these in the future.

I don't know if the schematic is available on line or not but you might search for 25W-8W which seems like a misprint, but is what is in the magazine.

Thanks Carl,
It's good to know people have so much interest in this basic amp design and to help each other.

I did a web search on the said words. The Class-A Imagineering seems to be a tube project. Let me do some more digging using Google and maybe Mr. Maynard himself might provide some clue as I have seen many posts by him.

As far as the 'power-supply being more complex than the amplifier' I can tell you that it is not true. Take the simple capacitance multiplier circuit by Rod Elliot using the TIP142/147 pair. Feed the power through this multiplier to the JLH. You would be amazed. The amp is completely silent. Even at full volume with no feed you cannot tell if the amp is running by listening to the speakers with your ears glued to the diaphragm. It is stone-silent. 60Hz mains hum is certainly not going to reach your amp. I would definetely want you to build it if complexity is the only thing holding you from doing it.

I have a few PCB layouts for the JLH and the power supply. I can send you the images if you want it.

Dr. Mohan

Dear lumanauw,

I understand it. There are so many topologies that provide good sound and one of the accepted input topology seems to be a differential input pair. Sadly I am a physician but have experience soldering and setting up amps (basic setups like bias Iq etc) so am unable to change the design and experiment.

The differential input change should be easy on the JLH amp. If someone has built it and it had sounded worse then I wouldn't want to do these changes. But i haven't seen one post telling that the differential input is sounding better or worser. That's what intrigues me.

Dr. Mohan

here the circuit of my JLH Variant. it's running well on my EWB/Multisim.

Any comments are wellcome

regards:
ragil.hastomo

Attachments

• se_amp_2.jpg
    se_amp_2.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,561
I know this is an old thread, but did anyone try this? How does it sound compared to single end input?

I was thinking of giving it a go in my headphone amp with JFET input. I think there's too much of low order harmonics giving it a bit of a grainy and forward sound (not measured), and I was thinking a differential input would reduce this.

Attachments

• diff input s.png
    diff input s.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 846
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.