diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Solid State (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/)
-   -   AKSA 55, 100 - Listening impressions (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/71249-aksa-55-100-listening-impressions.html)

lineup 8th January 2006 07:25 AM

AKSA 55, 100 - Listening impressions

Here is short description of AKSA 55 and AKSA 100:
Quote:

The Aksa 55 is a solid state, push-pull power amplifier module
delivering 55 watts RMS into an 8ohm load.
Input sensitivity for 55W output into 8R is 548mV rms into a Zin of 47K.

Designed with sonics as the primary focus,
the AKSA employs extremely refined circuit design and topology
to produce a stunning sound quality rivaling the best audiophile grade amplifiers in the world.

-------------

The Aksa 100 is a solid state, push-pull power amplifier module
delivering 109 watts RMS into an 8ohm load and 218 watts into a 4R load,
depending somewhat on the regulation of the power transformers.
Input sensitivity for 100W output into 8R is 740mV rms into a Zin of 47K.
For more info Aspen Amplifiers - Products

Quote:

Originally posted by hifryer
I am a long term lurker!
I know Hugh Dean (AKSA) fairly well and will now unveil him!!

1. Hugh is FAR more the engineer than he ever lets on.
2. He has the most lucid and detailed grasp of how amplifiers REALLY work than any engineer I know and that any SPICE model will ever reveal ( tough luck pseudo objectivists).
3. He starts with strong theory and LOTS of measurements.
4. He KNOWS why simple is often better and the hidden deficiencies in complex ( e.g. current mirrors, tight active regulation etc).
4. BUT He then goes on for MANY hours with painstaking changes & listening tests to turn the proverbial sows ear into the silk purse.
5. This cost is why AKSA is worth many times its parts cost!!!

Belief in mathematical models alone is total folly. They are models NOT real world devices!!

We all ( hopefully ) end up building what sounds best to us! BUT all our ears are different!! They is an amp out there waiting for everyone!! ;-)

cheers!!

It is time we explore the ASPEN AMPLIFIERS somewhat more.

What are your listening impressions of AKSA amplifiers?
Are they worth the money spent?

rabbitz 8th January 2006 12:24 PM

Worth every cent IMO.

I own a AKSA 55N+ and it presents the music and doesn't just play it. No waffle on imaging and blah blah, but it has been the most satisfying amp I have ever had in over 30 years and besides commercial offerings I've owned, I've built the P101, P88, P3A (2), LM3875 (2), LM4780, Jaycar Silicon Chip amps and have a T-Amp.

I went down the path of building several amps plus intermixed with commercial pre's and could have saved heaps of money if I went and built the AKSA first. I'm glad I didn't as it showed me how good it is against others I've built plus it's been a fun trip doing the others..... most of the time.

Initially it might sound expensive but when you add the price of well chosen good quality parts, having parts supplied so it works as the designer intended (not to be under estimated), great instructions for assembly and diagnostics plus Hugh's support, it's a cheap buy. That doesn't even allow for the immense R&D that Hugh has done plus the sound quality.

I've only recently completed one of Hugh's GK-1 pre amps. Sure, it took a little bit of tube rolling to suit my music tastes (you can't expect one size to fit all), but has taken the AKSA 55N+ to new sonic levels.

When you buy an AKSA, you don't just get an amp, you become part of the AKSA family with Hugh at the head of the table. Even with all the pressures of running a business, he's always willing to make time to chat, help and advise.... money can't buy that. If you have a problem, he's there, when running and amp in and the sound is going strange, he's there to reassure you that after x hours it will come good... and it does. He's lived and breathed these things for so long.

Bottom line.... love my AKSA and I thank Hugh for his great design and support.

forr 8th January 2006 01:42 PM

As far as I see, the circuit of the Aksa amplifier is basically not very different from my 25 years old Sansui amplifier : good sounding, nothing exceptionnal.
Maybe Hugh Dean can be promulgated a great engineer, but is he golden eared too ? If so, when adding some commercial skills, how many qualities in one person at a time !
Choosing not to use a constant current source and a current mirror in the differential input on the basis of listening tests is just proving one thing : the engineer/listener (with a very a very sensitive ear, indeed). prefers more distorsion than less. That's is his own right. However I can't agree when one tries to convince the whole earth that it's for better sound quality.

~~~~ Forr

hifryer 8th January 2006 02:07 PM

It's sure great to find someone who can compare amplifiers by just reading schematics.

As distortion measurements a la current mirrors etc must lead to sonic Nirvana - all amplifers that need to be designed have already been designed!

Just go build Randy Slone's Design 12 with THD of 0.0038% and about 0.01% at 20KHz - as Randy says "30 times less than audible".

What more could we ever want? ;-)

still4given 8th January 2006 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by forr
As far as I see, the circuit of the Aksa amplifier is basically not very different from my 25 years old Sansui amplifier : good sounding, nothing exceptionnal.
Maybe Hugh Dean can be promulgated a great engineer, but is he golden eared too ? If so, when adding some commercial skills, how many qualities in one person at a time !
Choosing not to use a constant current source and a current mirror in the differential input on the basis of listening tests is just proving one thing : the engineer/listener (with a very a very sensitive ear, indeed). prefers more distorsion than less. That's is his own right. However I can't agree when one tries to convince the whole earth that it's for better sound quality.

~~~~ Forr

Hi Forr,

With all due respect, the thread topic asks for "Listening impressions" For some reason I get the impression that you have not listened to one. Do you have something against Hugh?

Please, let's not muddy the waters. Many of us are curious how this amp actually sounds in comparison to some of the other popular DIY amps.

Blessings, Terry

Upupa Epops 8th January 2006 05:10 PM

So be brave, Terry : tell us, which amp, which you had make, is by your opinion the best...Telling, that some sounds " curious " to others, is rather alibistic... ;)

still4given 8th January 2006 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Upupa Epops
So be brave, Terry : tell us, which amp, which you had make, is by your opinion the best...Telling, that some sounds " curious " to others, is rather alibistic... ;)

:confused:

I have not heard the AKSA yet. I'm not qualified to give an answer to the main topic either. I was trying to keep the thread on topic because I am interested in these amps. Seems others would prefer that not happen.

I can't find where anyone said anything about something sounding "curious". Have you got your threads confused?

I couldn't find a definition for alibistic. I'm afraid I'm at a loss to answer you.

Blessings, Terry

Upupa Epops 8th January 2006 06:05 PM

Listening impression is ONLY listening impression - if you don't compare it with others... Only in case, if listener is VERY expirienced, you can get results, which have some " weight ".... Listening without comparing is silly habit, which learn us popular magazines, 'cos they can't lose customer...

still4given 8th January 2006 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Upupa Epops
Listening impression is ONLY listening impression - if you don't compare it with others... Only in case, if listener is VERY expirienced, you can get results, which have some " weight ".... Listening without comparing is silly habit, which learn us popular magazines, 'cos they can't lose customer...

Listening impression is what was asked for. Certainly lineup understands that the answers will be subjective. I guess some folks believe that if something doesn't measure a certain way it can't sound good. Perhaps they should steer clear of threads asking for peoples listening impressions.

Just look, we've spent a whole page discussing whether someone can judge and amp by it's sound. Folks will probably be afraid now to give their impressions. Maybe that was the intent. :xeye:

Does everything have to become a soap-box?

Blessings, Terry

peranders 8th January 2006 09:23 PM

Never heard an AKSA

Quote:

Originally posted by lineup
What are your listening impressions of AKSA amplifiers?
Are they worth the money spent?

It depends what you are after. From what I'll gather most of Hugh's customers are rather pleased. Don't forget what the customer target is. The product idea is not so expensive, pretty good sound, decent electrical characteristics. What does it mean converted to listening experience? I don't know. I have never listened to an AKSA amp.