AKSA 55, 100 - Listening impressions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ah, Epops,

Life is such a disappointment, isn't it? How can people be so stupid? Why is this guy Hugh so stuck in the 1960s?

Aren't you fed up with saying the same things again and again?

It would be good if I could make you laugh; you'd see I'm no different to anyone else, and there is always more than meets the eye in the AKSA!!

Great post Jacco, good word, pecunia!!

Cheers,

Hugh

Lineup,

my post was directed to the thread, not singular towards you.

However, a number of the members of diyaudio would appreciate it if you did not copy anything and everything, and not use such large letter style statements. There is no need, we can all read.
But it is your thread, your ball.

I've been following Mr Deans stuff for much longer than he knows, there's a bit of a snake in me.
Clearly there must be something in his designs, despite the aged topology.
Why Mr Dean did not use a CCS is something i'd prefer to read in his words.

I do agree with your last statement, and the idea for such a thread is a good one.

What's the sixties problem?...i have born in the fifties and i am fine

Arguments that is old is week compared to the reality that people are evaluating using schematic.

I will respect much more....and believe much more, if someone post informs after listening and comparing....but fair comparison.

I had a notice that someone land in Eastern Europe, someone that had an AKSA into their home....this someone was received by a very kind guy...that offered him food and something to drink, invited him to his home.... show him the equipment and them asked:

- Can my equipment loose for AKSA?
- Is Aksa better than my equipment?

Well.....hehe....the visitor, of course, could be embarrassed...in his place, of course, i will tell that "the Kind man equipment is much better"...this is human relationship.....good education...kindness, and good politics.

But reality is the AKSA did not loose...the one, if this really happened, because could be some story created to joke with me, but this visitor...if he really existed, also, could not compare nothing, as AKSA was not with him.....evaluating using memory?...well, this do not exist.

I can show you a brazilian root called Mandioca.....it is ugly and big..... really protuberant....an amenace to our digestion...ahahahaha..... can i ask you if this is good or bad?...when you never tasted?

How can people that never heard, evaluate something looking at the schematic?...... maybe a bionic man, that can simulate in its brain computer.... and listen using sensors, evaluating using spectrograms....well.....

The one that told me that, is a close betrayer friend...and also i was informed that the visitor when listened the question:

- Is my amplifier better than Aksa that is worst than my wonderfull more good and best equipment?

The one was so drunk that answered:

What amplifier?...hic!

I am old and nice.....yeah!

This can be only a story, not based in real facts, people are not identified because i had not the names, everything that can connect to real people...is, with strong probabilities, be a matter of coincidence.

If i believe in those stories...yes...i believe in the same ammount that i believe that someone can evaluate without listen....reading schematics..... the same belief...almost none.

regards,

Carlos

Per Anders,

Thank you for your post.

Actually, I have a very bad temper!

But I am 54 now, and realise it's a marathon, not a sprint. There's little point in wasting precious energy trying to convince people who are committed to another belief, people you won't meet, who live on another continent, and who will never see the world as you see it. They have a right to their belief, just as I do, you don't try to convince Buddhists or Moslems that Christianity is the only way.....

Years ago, as a young Army Officer, I remember seeing an open challenge between a cynical, battle-weary, alcoholic Field Officer and a Catholic Army Padre. The Major wanted to know why the Padre didn't bother to 'convert' him to God; the Padre replied that he only gave his time where he thought there was a good chance of conversion.

The fact is, as Robert McNamara, US Defence Secretary in the early sixties once said, 'Belief and Seeing can still both be wrong'. By this he meant that unless you had an open mind, you couldn't even see the nose in front of your face, and he was commenting on the US involvement in Vietnam.

My job is to sell kits. I can't afford the luxury of educating people to my mindset; it takes too much time, it's expensive, and much of the time it's not successful. In any case, I'm only one man, with one man's opinion. What's an opinion worth?

Cheers,

Hugh

As audio is something to listen, using ears, others instruments will be second place

in importance in my point of view...and i think this simple point of view have sense.

I never saw no one taste food with eyes or feet!

Well, this way, the listening tests are much more logics than other evaluations...of course.

And i am happy....ahahahhaa....that's all i know how to do....i think i did not waste time in my life watching scopes..... well, i had to do that to align Videotapes for a long time..... but i also developed some "vision techniques" to align watching... and resulted almost the same as following wave forms...but measuring with wave forms my "developed experienced" adjustments were not correct...but i was respected to fix a Videotape immediattely, when others last days with the alignment.

I was promoted two times....the ones that was slow with alignment using instruments turn my workers, unfortunattelly i could not stay only sitted on my management chair giving orders, because the turtles aligment guys i had (my guys were slow...not others that use to align using scopes)....that i had to go out of my confortable chair to align the equipments...if not...the station had to stop working because the ligthning professionals i had.

Between Ice was wonderfull and deep Kanwar..... some of them are living winter....just an accident of your comment.

The extraordinary designer, Mr. Michael Bittner, not beeing an EE, designed a very good amplifier...and he watched wave forms and simulators all time long....but to adjust to make it good...he made using ears....his own ears and some friends ears.

regards,

Carlos

In my point of view, my dear friend Hugh, those guys that do not believe in real

things and absolutelly perfect arguments...simple,straigth and strong arguments, are only exercising the power to be against.

You know, maybe to have fun...let it be...let them believe whatever they want.

Almost 2K already has AKSA or already heard your old style wonderfull amplifiers... and those are multiplying your customers

Here...in our forum, despite the forum is fine...the best wide world, a very small amount of people buy kits, they prefer to start from boards and all selection of parts, and to do the whole job...so...here you are not loosing sales...no need to convince.

I am convinced, and will spend more 600 dollares in march, to have the more modern...that one....ahahahahha.

Well Hugh..... may i have a discount....maybe 599?

hehe (hugh do not give discount!)

Carlos

A:B listening tests

Does anyone out there have a design or any ideas for an A:B box to switch between two amps?

One that is not too complex or expensive but hopefully will not mask differences too much. ( I hate to admit that I am one of the loony fringe who can hear differences in interconnect connector types!)

Perhaps we could put the A:B box through the NULL test?? ;-)

My worry is, that even ignoring switching, the cables and connectors can degrade both sides of the test, masking differences or being kind or unkind to one side.

I guess it is down to best quality components, minimum length internal hookup and absolutely identical external connections.

How many observe these controls in their comparisons?? Often whatever spare leads etc ( often discards ) are pressed into service.

I don't normally do A:B but I keep an open mind and might report on two slightly different AKSA 55 N+'s!!

I may even submit to the blindfold :-( ( could then use null test between the two to prove I'm delusional!) But what if stats proved null test bogus!!

cheers.

p.s. maybe it is best, safest and cheapest to just use bananas on the amp end speaker leads and quickly just switch all plugs between amps?? Too slow??? Opinions?

Those differences..conector....switch side, normally are brain creations

With some exceptions, and you can be that exception, or one of them.

Use same wire length for both amplifier outputs.... an RF switcher will do the job perfectly...and a single speaker.

Put it leveled with the listener years.

Do not let listener, evaluator, knows what is A amplifier and B amplifier.

Adjust both amplifier, in advance, to have the same output level...small variation not a problem....human ears cannot distinguish small variations.

Avoid reflections in walls....absorb reflection in surrounds...put listener, evaluator, in a confortable chair....reduce ligth and go switching.....say A or B.....take care not to modulate some letter better spelled or louder...do not induce the listener....do not let him watch your face...reduce the ligths...only music...only listenable sounds..... no pointer, VU meters, lamps flashing or polished pretty panels....many kinds of musics....repeat as much as the listener ask...till he have sure about his decision.

Invert the switch and do the test again...he will be confused and will produce some errors.... this is natural in the beginning.... he will perceive that all thing was inverted..but has not more the memory of his last choices.

The evaluator may have a healthy audition..... he cannot be suffering pains, hungry, need to go to WC or family hard problems.

Use the maximum people to evaluate....you never evaluate by yourself and conclude that your evaluation is rigth...even if you developed some way to fooled yourself related switches......you may already memorized the sonics and already decided.... fooling yourself.

So easy...and a lot of good guys do not use those simple tests.

Of course, changing speaker, will change evaluation...but not the result...normally the winner is the winner with excelent speakers or bad speakers.... with some exceptions....life is an exception....as you know...we are delayed guys that reached the woman egg to create an human beeing...we were the loosers in the big race of fertility.....hehe...true is awfull...the heroic guys that meet the Ovule, the woman Egg first...they died trying to open a door to enter....the lazy one...that stopped to have a beer.... founded way almost opened....ahahahhaa...loosers we are...not winners!

If doubts, please, read reproduction...you will see that the best died first....so.... we have no reason for pride....we are dust, even having more graduated dust over us...some colourized dust, some planetary dust...and others.....hehe

Your imagination is guilty...not me!

regards,

Carlos

Constant Current Source
or
Resistor

I already noted Mr. Leach and Mr. Dean sometimes prefer RESISTOR.
I can add one more not so bad amplifier builder to my list.
That in some cases think a resistor can be the way to go.

Mister X:
I replaced the MOSFETs in input differential pair to BJT.
Now I cant reach zero DC offset when using current mirror.
----------------------------------

Nelson Pass:
Try loading input with resistor instead of
current mirror and see if the problem goes away.

Also, BJT with high gain would be the best
for low offset.

Mister X:
With only resistor - yes.
But I think mirror offers more linearity. Thats why I asked.
Maybe low gain of input BJTs?

Nelson Pass:
It is my experience that current mirrors offer more gain,
not necessarily more linearity.

... not necessary more linearity

hmmm,
I might buy me a resistor
;)

The straigth line is the smaller distance between two points.

In the reality not exactly, as any straigh line draw over the earth will be curved...not flat...another straigth line, as resultant will be the smaller distance.

But if we go simple, and believe in the straigth line as the smallest distance between two points...we will conclude that the more simple circuit will be more interesting...nature is their...showing us those things..... our photo cameras have maximum of 30 Megapixels....having three CCDs...one for Red, other for green and other for blue....hehe...our eyes.... each one of them, have around 200 Megapixels of resolution...if you compare them with the same measure.

Our High Resolution Television is awfull...our eyes can see better...i cannot understand ...there are people that do not believe in our ears?

The best Super computers, all together do not match human capacities....can calculate faster..... expensive calculator machines only.....but cannot create nothing!....yes!...humans have capacities to evaluate sounds!

regards,

Carlos

What's the sixties problem?...i have born in the fifties and i am fine
He..he...Carlos :D Are you sure you are a psychologist?

Hi, FORR,

Thanks for the advice. At first after reading your post, I think about non-global feedback amp, then I said naaa...it's still the same (whether using R or transistor CCS),
Then, aha....Even in 1 transistor usage (like emitor follower), there is still feedback. CCS itself is a feedback system. I got your point :D

Hi, AKSA,

I can't afford the luxury of educating people to my mindset; it takes too much time, it's expensive, and much of the time it's not successful.
If anyone can "educate" our moderator SY to leave tubes, then my 4 thumbs are up for that man :D

Re: Re: Resistor CCS

lineup said:

In my mind:
two transistors increasing their currents with approximate same current
have a more similiar behavior

than

one transistor increase current
while the other decrease with same amount

While you can't get this feature with a diff pair, as I explained before, it did suddenly cross my mind that there is another option, having the behaviour you wish for. It is the Rush cascode, that behaves very similar to a diff pair, although it looks quite different. There both transistors will have their current in phase with each other. On the other hand, you must use a complementary pair, so they won't behave exactly the same anyway, and you lose some other nice features of the diff pair. Still, some amps use it, for instance the phono stage of NAD3020.

I already noted Mr. Leach and Mr. Dean sometimes prefer RESISTOR. I can add one more not so bad amplifier builder to my list.
That in some cases think a resistor can be the way to go.

That man is Nelson Pass? I know Grey Rollins likes plain Resistor.

... not necessary more linearity
You build a transistor CCS with 2 diode drop for reference, or CCS with 2 transistors. RE=300ohm, that is 2mA CCS.
I think it is not the same CCS when you measure it at DC or at 1khz, at 1Mhz or at 10Mhz.

BTW : do you have a CD ROM copy of all DIYAUDIO contents since this site is born?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.