Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th January 2006, 03:27 PM   #41
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

You will note that almost ANY amp responds dramatically with a genuinely good Preamp or even better a stepped attenuator.
No news there except for the Naive.
I wouldn't worry overly about the pcbs/ I'm still wondering WHY the AKSA price more than ...doubled ..over the price point that made it successfull.. not likely due to a component price doubling :-) the total parts complement, even bought retail remain surprisingly inexpensive :-)
Old 9th January 2006, 04:46 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

well, my friend do not jump on me because what I will say - I will say it without anger, very calm and friendly - maybe Hugh is living from it, or maybe he made that amplifier, or maybe he had costs when making it, or maybe he had invest time to make it.......

guys - why are You so surprised that Aksa is costing something.... how much Audio Note gear costs.... take a look what is inside.... well - i can tell you - everybody has seen the schematics.... do You really think that those transformers or capacitors cost that much that we pay them.... they earn money on us.... they work for it - they work to earn money on us...... why Hugh or anybody else can't do the same.... i can't understand that .... why You or me can't make something and make money out of it to buy - lets say a better cd transport or at least an ice-cream for my child or something - or why not cover our expences for parts..... why can't we (You and me) also do the same - it is not forbiden.... guys, why is that problematic .... i think that Hugh is not earning that much out of everything.... when you take how much it will cost him to run his businness and to take care of the familly - does anyone take into account that he might live from it .... it is better to sell Aksa's than to steal.... why there are people here that think that a guy is not fair if he earns some money from what he has made with his own two arms......
please tell me nice and friendly because i am friendly here too.... i do not understand guys... can someone explain me why we are like that.....

forgive me if i was rude or something but the same thing is happening on few other forums that i can read.... people do not talk about Hugh Dean here only.... but they all have problem because somebody is making money.... and when we buy a XXX companies cd player we do not ask ourself how much those parts cost that company and is it fair or not that this company gives us the sch for that particular part that we want in our system....
Old 9th January 2006, 05:51 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

Well, I re-read my previous post, and I realized I didn't convey much real information. I'll attempt to be more specific in a subjective sort of a way.....

I very much like a jazz album by 'The Bad Plus' called 'These are the Vistas'. But until the Aksa, I wasn't particularly fond of the first cut, 'Big Eater'. It started out nice enough, but rapidly devolved to a confused mess, which I simply couldn't follow, and I'd inevitably skip forward. That is, until the Aksa 100 N+. Via the Aksa, I could now follow and admire the interplay between the musicians, and what I'd previously thought a confused mess, turns out to be a rather interesting interplay between some very skilled musicians. This is also a characteristic of some tube amps, specifically some SE implementations. But my speakers, Alon IVs, simply required too much power for an economical SE, (or PP for that matter) tube amp.

Subjectively put, the Aksa communicates, while still providing those benefits of ss, low power consumption, bass drive and control......

I do wish Hugh would produce a 300+ wpc amp with all the musical qualities of his current offerings.
Old 9th January 2006, 07:54 PM   #44
Joules is offline Joules  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I very much like a jazz album by 'The Bad Plus' called 'These are the Vistas'. But until the Aksa, I wasn't particularly fond of the first cut, 'Big Eater'. It started out nice enough, but rapidly devolved to a confused mess, which I simply couldn't follow, and I'd inevitably skip forward. That is, until the Aksa 100 N+. Via the Aksa, I could now follow and admire the interplay between the musicians, and what I'd previously thought a confused mess, turns out to be a rather interesting interplay between some very skilled musicians. This is also a characteristic of some tube amps, specifically some SE implementations. But my speakers, Alon IVs, simply required too much power for an economical SE, (or PP for that matter) tube amp.
Now, this is exatly what I am talking about !

And dido about the big AKSA.
Old 9th January 2006, 08:03 PM   #45
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator

I am confident that AKSA is a VERY fine amp.....only problem I see is that Hugh has chosen to sell it with supply and cooling...so that he knows how it will work out in the end.....ok!

But what if I only want to REBUILD excisting amp/2xmono...........furthermore there is a lot of TAXes to pay

But good thing this.....expecting it fore a long time
Old 9th January 2006, 08:09 PM   #46
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tinitus
.....furthermore there is a lot of TAXes to pay
... more than usual? Hardly, or?
Old 9th January 2006, 08:40 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Default In this moment i am finishing the fifth AKSA channel, 4 of them are 55 and one is the

100 watts model (218 watts over 4 ohms).

Those amplifiier are all modified

Only one unit is almost the standard, but i supress the Black Gates, not to spend time burning them...i hate those black gates... my personal feeling is to shot them!.

The first intention was to produce a "comparator amplifier"....made for comparison, with switches to change speakers and amplifiers into a single sound source.

My earlier intention was to compare AKSA, Symassym and Gem...but i changed my mind, as now i want to test, again, the sonic differences related my changes in the 55.

The Aksa sounds great, separated listening could fooled me many times, but when i put Aksa in comparison with others, the qualities appear clear, so, i suppress the others good units, for a while, trying to repeat the incredible research Hugh made, and to understand, completelly and finally, what is that misterious thing that reproduces so nice sound with a so simple circuit.

I already have made this when i had my first stereo from AKSA....i have destroyed my boards, trying to make something better, i was searching for more bass those days, as i am boomy by nature, and brazilian music is very rich of percussions, an heritage from Africans that are a big part of our blood (Nigeria and Sudan).

I have destroyed my boards trying, and i called my audio club friends to evaluate a sample i made, a different circuit, i told them that sounded different, also informed Hugh...my friends were not happy with Hugh that dennied when was asked to give permission to me to produce some copies inside epoxi cement for them...even with erased numbers on the components and sealed was dennied by Hugh, that said clearly that people only give value for gods, when they make efforces to have, when they pay for it and also he wants his parts, special and selected inside his own boards, to avoid fake Aksas, not sounding good, reproducinhg not the best possible sound, but carrying the his brand....well, to protect the quality of their products.
They turn "on" their envy and jellows internal behavior circuit , very natural and human, in special in my place this reaction, and they start to be against Hugh...so i understand some reactions, because schematic is protected and keept hidden, and having many variations, so, someone can stolle the circuit A, the one with impressive mids, but circuit b, c, d and e will continue to be protected....the midrange circuit "a", have some identities to an old cousin called P61, and there are some guys that have it.

Even this one is not more used, there are many modifications made.

I made them the published Hugh schematic (this forum) and told them that has not the same kit's quality, as there are faulting components that increase sonics, and also there are not the parts selection, including the special components that cost a fortune if you order in Europe....This way i keep my friends less angry....but they heard mine modified, and also Hugh Standard circuit, the original, and they perceive both as better than the published version they have, and the original was considered much better than mine (what a shame for me!)...i told Hugh and ...surprise!...in 12 days new boards arrived here, for free, because Hugh had concerns that i had destroyed my boards trying to make better than he could make....a very interesting man, Mr. Dean.....when almost everybody can turn very angry, he had the idea to replace destroyed boards, not bothering that i was trying to create an other AKSA....and asked me informs if i succed to make it better.

Now a days i will try to understand the tips and the tricks, some of them already known, and others already explained clearly by Hugh, but i am curious to see those different circuits working, this way, i will compare only those AKSAs that i am finishing the preparation, only one is the standard circuit...having all standard components on it...even the pretty coil made by a very pretty girl that works in the production...what a girl!

Symassym is wonderfull, and Gem is a precious equipment...but i am still curious how Hugh could make better than hundreds of equipments i have made, and were are the modifications that produces this or that difference.

This research is for myself, my own pleasure, of course will not publish results because i cannot...well, i will inform Hugh...he may laugh and tell me...i have already done that Carlos....well....maybe i will have one more board if some picture shows him destruction...hehe....nice idea!....sand somewere to have new boards....guaranteed man!...ahahahahahahha!.

When ready i will make pictures...with reasonable distance...using a good foto machine and will show you the "comparator".

Of course i love those Aksas and also Hugh is a personal and constant and close friend.... always confident and also strikeproof friend...we faced problems and the friendship survived to all earthquakes.

If i love to talk about Aksa sonic qualities, of course!....he is my friend!, it is delicious to give to Ceasar what belongs to Ceasar, to be fair and talk something that people can test and find the same results.

I use to exagerate.....yes..... i am exagerated...related my passions, always exagerated.

The "comparator" will be transformed , all circuits will follow my prefered sonics, and they will constitute a four channel amplifier with the 100 watts operating as a subwooffer unit.

regards,

Carlos
Old 9th January 2006, 08:47 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by forr
HIFRYER
"It's sure great to find someone who can compare amplifiers by just reading schematics."

I can say a lot from the simple view of schematics and tell that there is no reason why the AKSA amplifier should sound much better than my Sansui amplifier which basically has the same structure. I have perfectly lived with my Sansui but I think, and I am perfectly conscious, that if I may have prefered it for a while, it's due to the fact that more distorsion is often more pleasant than less distorsion, and not because of some unmesurable mysterious features.
Hi forr,

Can I just mention my experience. Over the last 4 or 5 years I have been building quite a few amps, all quite similar with minor differences. Some EF others CFP, some bootstrapped, some with CCS and current mirrors. You get the idea, all based on the "generic" 3 stage topology. There is even 1 or 2 commercial amps for comparison, that are very similar. I have even sourced some of my components for my non-AKSAs from Hugh to try and eliminate differences.

And the result is....to my ears the AKSA is better, pretty much in line with what the others are saying.

I'm pretty sure that the AKSA's performance is a result of careful component selection and component tweaking as well as some tweaking of the original topology.

I also have a feeling that if someone with the skills and time, selected another topology and put the same or greater effort into tweaking it, they may be able to get similar or even better results.

I currently have 4 other amps to build this year in an effort to knock the AKSA off it's pedestal.

BTW: I appreciate that others will have different experiences and I do respect your opinion. We are all doing audio for pleasure and we must remember that at all times.

regards
Old 9th January 2006, 10:05 PM   #49
forr is offline forr  France
diyAudio Member

Hi Greg Erskine,

Thanks for writing about your experience with the AKSA amp.

For years, I've loved my 1978 entirely bipolar class B Linsley-Hood amp. As I did not have much money at the time, components were of poor quality, the ones I had at hand. I wondered and wondered about its magic. The scope showed rock stability. The schock was the arrival of a distometer at home : there was a lot of crossover distorsion ! This is one of the most disturbing fact I encountered in years of audio interest. Another one, of the same kind, was an incredible low cost k7 tape recorder : very noisy but incredible detailed. From where come the magics ?

I think that, as far as passive components are of good standard quality, they have very little influence on the sound. With the use of transistors with the intended beta, I think all is in topology.
So, what makes AKSA magic ?

~~~~~~ Forr

§§§
Old 9th January 2006, 10:11 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by forr
I think all is in topology.
Amen to that!

The topology is 99% of the "sound" of an amplifier.

Salut!

Hide this!Advertise here!