AKSA 55, 100 - Listening impressions - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th January 2006, 04:06 AM   #21
Banned

Still$given-

Hi Forr,

With all due respect, the thread topic asks for "Listening impressions" For some reason I get the impression that you have not listened to one. Do you have something against Hugh?

Please, let's not muddy the waters. Many of us are curious how this amp actually sounds in comparison to some of the other popular DIY amps.

Blessings, Terry
---------------------------------------------------------------
i agree with you so far this thread has failed to tell us anything
about the sonic details etc....

aksa-
All amps should be judged on their sound, though looks play a part too, just like everything else
---------------------------------------------------------------
looks are better left off the topic

you guys abviously are not professional reviewers it is quite obvious this thread is going nowhere, how these amps compare
to ska and other forum amps such as symasym,pass zen etc...?
without an ab listening comparison we have no way of knowing
subjective evaluations, why dont you send these amps to stereophile.com to be reviewed by professionals and see how
they compare to other high-end offerings

Regards
Old 9th January 2006, 04:12 AM   #22
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

MT,

Most of the big mags have a no advertising/no review policy.

When you think this through you can understand why, and you might consider the effect this has on 'objective' reviewing!

If you think they are objective, you may be wrong.

Of course most of the guys here are not professional reviewers; I'd say they are rather more truthful, wouldn't you?

Cheers,

Hugh
Old 9th January 2006, 04:29 AM   #23
Banned

aksa-
Of course most of the guys here are not professional reviewers; I'd say they are rather more truthful, wouldn't you?
-----------------------------------------------------------
ok not a problem....
Old 9th January 2006, 06:12 AM   #24
SteveA is offline SteveA  United States
diyAudio Member

Default One person's opinions

I am not a designer of electronics, I got interested in DIY to learn (I would have said teach myself but most of you are contributing more in that area than am I) electronics.

Nor am I a professional reviewer. Like most, if not all, of you I enjoy listening to music. I also enjoy "comparing" different amps, preamps, etc. So, with this in mind, I offer my listening impressions.

I have built the following amps:
1) AKSA 55
2) AKSA 100
3) P3A (ESP Products)
4) P101(ESP Products)
5) Aleph 5 (home made boards)
6) Paramours (tubes from Bottlehead)

The preamp list is:
1) BOSOZ
2) Aleph P1.7
3) Foreplay (tubes from Bottlhead kit)

Speakers:
1) Linkwitz Orions
2) Northcreek Borealis
3) Zaph Audio Seas system

My points of comparison from the store bought arena (recently) are Quicksilver Mono tubes (8417) and McCormack 0.5's (Quicksilver preamp). Speakers were Snell B-minors.

I must say I have been very pleasantly surprised with the sound quality available from DIY components. I hear differences between the amps but I would be hard pressed to formulate a (prioritized) list. I should mention that I have two listening rooms. The main room is my "home theater" room which, at the moment is a two channel setup (6 channel P3A for the Orions, 2 channel AKSA 100 for the Thor subs). The other "room" is my storeroom where I conduct my DIY efforts. In this room I have the Borealis and Seas speakers.

While I enjoy all the amps I've built so far (I know proud daddy syndrom), if I had to make a list it would go:
1) Aleph 5, Paramours
2) AKSA 55, 100
3) P3A, P101
But the difference between groups is not large.

After the Bottlehead kits, the AKSA kit was my first solid state effort. The entire experience with Aspen was first rate. The kit was very reasonably priced, the manual was easy to follow and the customer service provided was also first rate.

SteveA
Old 9th January 2006, 07:54 AM   #25
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mastertech
aksa-
.... but I don't trust professional reviewers particulary much. They must always produce text and the text is sometimes pretty empty in real content.
Old 9th January 2006, 11:28 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Hi,
well, I wanted to wait until I have a more objective opinion about Aksa 55 but seeing this thread started I simply could not resist......
I have at my home Aksa 55 Nirvana Plus version.... it is working now for about 45 hours.....
When I first turned that amplifier on I started to listen to it on a Onix OA24 preamplifier. The first thing that I could perceive is that amplifier had (even first turned on - with totaly new parts inside) a huge soundstage that was even better than my Onix OA601 amplifier that I value greatelly.... Also I perceived that amplifier is very dinamic and that sound has a lot of air arround players..... That everything could be heard with first turn on - naturally it can also be heard that amplifier is a little bit confused because not burned in but ..... I was amazed that totally new amplifier can sound that good when first turned on.....

After a few hours I have put my tube preamplifier (arranged arround 12b4 - it is still work in progress) inside the system and removed Onix preamplifier - the sound got even better.....

Now it is running for arround 45 hours - so it is still very young - not fully burned in..... sound is going up and down (first it has bass then it doesn't have , after that it looses soundstage and deatil than it is back again) because the amplfier is not burned in - I suspect that it will be that way for another 100hours maybe, before it setles itself..... but the sound is in general very good and it has a lot of potential.... i am really looking forward to hear it when it is burned in..... since it is now very good.....
the most impresive thing what I can say is that it is very natural, fresh sound and it has ability to reproduce soundstage like I have not heard it in my system... it is almost plastic..... one can hear that the sound is moving through the room..... one can hear like the system is alive so to say..... very, very, very, good......
everything that I have said here is from my point of view with the amplifier that is not fully burned in so I suspect that it will be only better......
give a good preamplfier to that little amplifier and You will be very happy with it..... it is really a special little thing.....

hope this will help to people on this forum that have doubts that they do not get what they pay for that amplifier.... it is very worth to pay for it because you get a lot for your money.....
i will start a new thread when the amplifier is fully burned in and I will report there how the process was going on so that everybody here in the forum know what to expect if they want to buy the kit.
best regards
daniel
Old 9th January 2006, 11:38 AM   #27
lineup is offline lineup  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sparkle
Hi,
well, I wanted to wait until I have a more objective opinion about Aksa 55
but seeing this thread started I simply could not resist......
I have at my home Aksa 55 Nirvana Plus version....
it is working now for about 45 hours.....
best regards
daniel
Your opinion is very promising.
What is different in AKSA 55 Nirvana Plus version
compared to the standard version?
Old 9th January 2006, 11:42 AM   #28
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Lineup, you could as Hugh directly and/or at his support forum.
http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewforum.php?f=19

... but I'm sure he will tell you here also
Old 9th January 2006, 11:48 AM   #29
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Daniel,

My thanks for your post; appreciated.

The 55N+ contains all new caps, some extremely expensive, such as the Black Gates, different dimensioning on the bootstrap, a revised LTP operating point and changes to the lag comp and phase lead of the amplifier. It would take months of R&D to arrive at these changes; but they do enhance the performance considerably. The problem with Black Gates is that they seem to take about 150 hours before they are fully burned in, and during this time the sound does some weird things. It takes real patience, but the final sound clicks in over a period of about half an hour. It is almost supernatural! The amp can be upgraded any time.

This is absolutely the best I can do with this topology and the results are very good.

I keep trying to extend the boundaries of the performance, but it's getting harder and harder after about five years development.

Cheers,

Hugh
Old 9th January 2006, 11:59 AM   #30
lineup is offline lineup  Sweden
diyAudio Member

thanks, AKSA
I had just found this explaination, in FAQ at your website,
of the Nirvana Plus ( N+ ) upgrade.
Now I do not have to post a quote of it.

Hide this!Advertise here!