DIY Amp fr Dummies? (me)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey, I'm handy! I taught myself construction, plumbing and electrical work so I could be my own contractor. I'm now building my own HT subwoofer and I got to thinkin', hey how hard could it be to build a decent stereo amplifier? I mean this can't be as complicated as a a preamp or a cd player could it?

So, what I need to know is whether there are any kits or comprehensive instruction sets that can guide me in building my amp. This amp will drive my 2 front A/D/S L990's (4 ohm). I want about 100 to 200 Watts per channel. My Yamaha RX-V2500 will function as the preamp.

I don't want to learn how to read schematics or learn theory. I just want a a box-o-parts and a manual that says "solder a to b" and "screw c to e" etc. Is there anything like this? Maybe like the old heathkit systems? It's frustrating to see a 150 amp module selling so cheaply. (Like this http://www.ampslab.com/bi120.htm) Please Advise! Thanks. Greg

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Greg,

I think unless you want to get interested in electronics, a good quality second amp is the way to go. Building amps is pretty easy but buying second hand is even easier and probably cheaper.

The prices quoted for DIY amps is usually for 1 channel and often don't include power supplies, cases, switches, heatsinks etc.

good luck

Aw.. don't be nasty Greg!

bcycle: there's loads of schematics and even kits on this site. If you don't know what you want, go do some auditioning of professionally built gear so you know what you have in mind.

If you want to build a good sounding simple kit, have a word with Pete Daniel - I'm sure he'll point you in the right direction...

My potential hobby, cost effectiveness

I have spent a lot of time around Bryston , Quad, Rotel, etc. (sold 'em for 8 years). So I know the sound, quality and construction. My question is, would it cost $800.00 worth of parts to build an $800.00 amplifier? Or $2500.00 to build the $2500.00 amp? A good set of instructions (if they exist) and I'm confident I can do it. Not to say that I can be the engineer. I'll need the design, and a good assembly instruction and a list or supply of parts. So the next question is, knowing the aforementioned brands (Bryston/Quad at the top shelf, but below say Mark Levinson and such), knowing these brands, can it be done? I think it could be fun!

Greg

Chipamp Design Philosophy

Hi There,

Still trying to find a direction here and would love more advice. I'm trying to at least pick a direction, a philosophy or a recommendation for an amp design that works best for my setup! After deciding to build a chip amp I considered some kits like this one http://www.audiosector.com/lm4780.shtml but was informed that I need balanced outputs on the preamp to drive the amp.

I was then referred to another person who recommends adding an SSM2142 balance Line Driver into the mix so I can use my RCA outputs. My question is has anybody built a Chipamp that connects to your basic RCA preamp outputs? Does this mean that everyone who is running a Chipamp is connected to Preamp XLR connections? How's the sound quality with the added SSM2142 ? I must again stress that I'm a novice here so a kit for my setup would be best, or at least the pcb's.

Thanks,

Greg

bcycle said:
Hey, I'm handy! I taught myself construction, plumbing and electrical work so I could be my own contractor. I'm now building my own HT subwoofer and I got to thinkin', hey how hard could it be to build a decent stereo amplifier? I mean this can't be as complicated as a a preamp or a cd player could it?

So, what I need to know is whether there are any kits or comprehensive instruction sets that can guide me in building my amp. This amp will drive my 2 front A/D/S L990's (4 ohm). I want about 100 to 200 Watts per channel. My Yamaha RX-V2500 will function as the preamp.

I don't want to learn how to read schematics or learn theory. I just want a a box-o-parts and a manual that says "solder a to b" and "screw c to e" etc. Is there anything like this? Maybe like the old heathkit systems? It's frustrating to see a 150 amp module selling so cheaply. (Like this http://www.ampslab.com/bi120.htm) Please Advise! Thanks. Greg

Check out sound.westhost.com. Rod has a number of designs that he sells printed circuit boards for. You are free to use his designs as is (he gives full schematics) or if you purchase printed circuit boards from him he gives you access to more thorough documentation and a bill of materials.

I'm in the process of putting together a preamp, crossover and 4/6 channel amp setup together to bi- or tri-amp my cornwalls. I decided to purchase commercial amps and stick to building the active crossover and preamp myself.

They have many more parts than the IC-based amplifiers but I expect overall they will be easier to bring to completion.

The reason I chose to go with commercial amps initially is that this is going to be my first DIY audio project, and I don't want to invest $400 in chassis, heatsinks, transformers and huge arrays of capacitors without a little more experience under my belt first.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.