DIY Amp fr Dummies? (me) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th January 2006, 06:01 AM   #1
bcycle is offline bcycle  United States
diyAudio Member

Default DIY Amp fr Dummies? (me)

Hey, I'm handy! I taught myself construction, plumbing and electrical work so I could be my own contractor. I'm now building my own HT subwoofer and I got to thinkin', hey how hard could it be to build a decent stereo amplifier? I mean this can't be as complicated as a a preamp or a cd player could it?

So, what I need to know is whether there are any kits or comprehensive instruction sets that can guide me in building my amp. This amp will drive my 2 front A/D/S L990's (4 ohm). I want about 100 to 200 Watts per channel. My Yamaha RX-V2500 will function as the preamp.

I don't want to learn how to read schematics or learn theory. I just want a a box-o-parts and a manual that says "solder a to b" and "screw c to e" etc. Is there anything like this? Maybe like the old heathkit systems? It's frustrating to see a 150 amp module selling so cheaply. (Like this http://www.ampslab.com/bi120.htm) Please Advise! Thanks. Greg
Old 8th January 2006, 06:23 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi Greg,

I think unless you want to get interested in electronics, a good quality second amp is the way to go. Building amps is pretty easy but buying second hand is even easier and probably cheaper.

The prices quoted for DIY amps is usually for 1 channel and often don't include power supplies, cases, switches, heatsinks etc.

good luck
Old 8th January 2006, 06:32 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Aw.. don't be nasty Greg!

bcycle: there's loads of schematics and even kits on this site. If you don't know what you want, go do some auditioning of professionally built gear so you know what you have in mind.

If you want to build a good sounding simple kit, have a word with Pete Daniel - I'm sure he'll point you in the right direction...
Old 8th January 2006, 06:48 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jezz-the-Fezz
Aw.. don't be nasty Greg!
Ohhh....I hope I don't sound nasty. Didn't mean to be.
Old 8th January 2006, 07:00 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Oh Mr Erskine, I can see your just a big pussycat...
Old 10th January 2006, 12:42 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default My potential hobby, cost effectiveness

I have spent a lot of time around Bryston , Quad, Rotel, etc. (sold 'em for 8 years). So I know the sound, quality and construction. My question is, would it cost $800.00 worth of parts to build an $800.00 amplifier? Or $2500.00 to build the $2500.00 amp? A good set of instructions (if they exist) and I'm confident I can do it. Not to say that I can be the engineer. I'll need the design, and a good assembly instruction and a list or supply of parts. So the next question is, knowing the aforementioned brands (Bryston/Quad at the top shelf, but below say Mark Levinson and such), knowing these brands, can it be done? I think it could be fun!

Greg
Old 10th January 2006, 04:03 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Found an Amp kit that looks interesting

Hi Again,

I think I found a kit that looks promising. Does anyone have opinions on this amplifier? Sound quality? Quality of parts?

http://store.qkits.com/moreinfo.cfm/K4004B

You can take a closer look here.

http://www.velleman.be/ot/en/product/view/?id=352782

Thanks!

Greg C
Old 20th January 2006, 10:39 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Question Chipamp Design Philosophy

Hi There,

Still trying to find a direction here and would love more advice. I'm trying to at least pick a direction, a philosophy or a recommendation for an amp design that works best for my setup! After deciding to build a chip amp I considered some kits like this one http://www.audiosector.com/lm4780.shtml but was informed that I need balanced outputs on the preamp to drive the amp.

I was then referred to another person who recommends adding an SSM2142 balance Line Driver into the mix so I can use my RCA outputs. My question is has anybody built a Chipamp that connects to your basic RCA preamp outputs? Does this mean that everyone who is running a Chipamp is connected to Preamp XLR connections? How's the sound quality with the added SSM2142 ? I must again stress that I'm a novice here so a kit for my setup would be best, or at least the pcb's.

Thanks,

Greg

Quote:
Originally posted by bcycle
Hey, I'm handy! I taught myself construction, plumbing and electrical work so I could be my own contractor. I'm now building my own HT subwoofer and I got to thinkin', hey how hard could it be to build a decent stereo amplifier? I mean this can't be as complicated as a a preamp or a cd player could it?

So, what I need to know is whether there are any kits or comprehensive instruction sets that can guide me in building my amp. This amp will drive my 2 front A/D/S L990's (4 ohm). I want about 100 to 200 Watts per channel. My Yamaha RX-V2500 will function as the preamp.

I don't want to learn how to read schematics or learn theory. I just want a a box-o-parts and a manual that says "solder a to b" and "screw c to e" etc. Is there anything like this? Maybe like the old heathkit systems? It's frustrating to see a 150 amp module selling so cheaply. (Like this http://www.ampslab.com/bi120.htm) Please Advise! Thanks. Greg
Old 20th January 2006, 10:52 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Check out sound.westhost.com. Rod has a number of designs that he sells printed circuit boards for. You are free to use his designs as is (he gives full schematics) or if you purchase printed circuit boards from him he gives you access to more thorough documentation and a bill of materials.

I'm in the process of putting together a preamp, crossover and 4/6 channel amp setup together to bi- or tri-amp my cornwalls. I decided to purchase commercial amps and stick to building the active crossover and preamp myself.

They have many more parts than the IC-based amplifiers but I expect overall they will be easier to bring to completion.

The reason I chose to go with commercial amps initially is that this is going to be my first DIY audio project, and I don't want to invest $400 in chassis, heatsinks, transformers and huge arrays of capacitors without a little more experience under my belt first.
Old 20th January 2006, 11:12 PM   #10
paulb is offline paulb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Re: My potential hobby, cost effectiveness

Quote:
Originally posted by bcycle
My question is, would it cost $800.00 worth of parts to build an $800.00 amplifier?
Greg
Generally, yes. Manufacturers get much cheaper parts, and if you value your time at all it's difficult to break even on a DIY project.

Hide this!Advertise here!