John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not know. I have
no experience in testing different volume knobs - and frankly I do not believe that different audio knobs will sound differently when using ELMA rotary switches.

I do know that some volume knobs costs 100s of USD which make the 160 USD for a stepped pot sound cheapish. But I will not play that game.

Sigurd

Upupa Epops said:
And what's sound of this knob, Sigurd ? ;)

jcarr said:

In any case, however, my experience is that the annual operating profit for an audio company is absurdly low compared to what similar efforts could yield in other industries - at least in developed countries where labor costs are high.

regards, jonathan carr

That is why I would never try to make a living by audio, though I have had very interesting design and project co-operation with US and japanese customer, concerning highly specialized industrial technology.

Regards,
Pavel Macura

anatech said:
Anthing that increases manufacturing cost will be reflected (multiplied) in the selling price. The very most expensive thing would be labour.

My house cost $xxx,xxx.xx and doesn't have a lot of things. If I paid more, it would. Just as an example.

In some parts of the world, labor would be the very least expensive thing (as most multinationals well know). But that is not the point.

The point is that if you paid for your house the same relative price of certain high-end gear, I'm sure your house would have everything your heart desires, including Pamela Anderson. ;)

Anyways, I should think the readership here deserves a bit more technically literate answers to their questions than the same old labor/price routine. Otherwise, I do not see much difference between, say, a gaincard scam where USD200 worth of parts and labor is going for a retail price of USD2,000 and a preamp with USD2,000 worth of inputs selling for USD20,000.

Regards,
Milan

Sigurd Ruschkow said:
I can imagine that a stepped attenuator with bulk metal foil resistors must sound wonderful. They are my favorite resistors (especially the nude TX2352s from Texas Components).

Would you say that this attenuator is the best there is?

At least for low-level signals, I find the combination of SMD bulk metal foils and rebuilt Shallcos to work well. But maybe there is something better, and I simply don't know about it. You tell me :D.

regards, jonathan carr

Folks, just so that you know and understand. We use Shallco switches in our preamp. They are VERY hard to turn. In fact, without a real knob, it might well be impossible to change the switch position. A small knob might work, but it would be very hard to turn, because you need a large radius on the pot to get torque multiplication. A larger radius usually means more depth, as well, and the added inertia of the knob, smooths out the rather bumpy switching from step to step. It just feels better, that's all. Now, what is wrong with that?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
GRollins said:
PMA,
You have made your position clear, ad nauseum. We know you're not interested. We know you think it's all hogwash. We know you think it's for deluded people with more money than brains.
We know...okay? We got the message about 500 posts ago.
However, if you have no more manners than to keep harping on the same point over and over and over and over and over and over, then people get rather tired of it. They begin to question your motives and whether you, in fact, know much of anything at all except how to act like a horse's rear end.
My three year-old has better manners than you, and she's not even potty-trained. At least she knows what she knows, and knows when to ask questions and learn. You could do worse than to follow her example.
It's a damned shame when a child is more mature than a (putatively) grown man.

Grey

now Grey -you are rude!
You already know that he lives so many years behide Iron Curtain,under communist boot.........
that facts are enough for Excuse
:devilr:

Status
Not open for further replies.