John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
fredex said:
Wavebourn, 'what sounds best', is what audiophiles are hunting for.
If they haven't got it they swap equipment to get it.

Hmmm.... There are some people who knows what sounds best, they agree among each other, and they are hunting for? ;)
So, you were kidding in the previous post about no one can agree what sounds best? ;)

fredex said:
Those who can design objectively better sounding gear certainly deserve recognition, the trouble is, no one can agree on what sounds best.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
syn08 said:

a) Mac users using FireFox visiting my web site attached, you do the math. I can't and don't plan to make everybody happy due to time constraints. Believe it or not, I have to work for a living as well.

b) I'm not interested in doing any Audio related business, so I couldn't care less anyway. What I do is for free so essentially you get what you pay for.

c) However, I'm pretty sure you already read my friendly note: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1853951#post1853951 Your feedback, even in these particular circumstances, is appreciated. I'll see what I can do about, unfortunately I don't have a Mac to test with.

I visited your site using Google Chrome and the version of Safari on my Nokia e90. I was sidetracked by the .com version on the phone but I got there. There may be something about Safari that isn't working with your site correctly, except on a PC Safari works OK. Software isn't any more consistent than audiofools opinions. . .

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Wavebourn said:

There are different ways to express a counterview: either "I respectfully disagree with your position, because according to my information...",

and "You are a bad engineer" in case of a counterview, or "we did that 40 years ago" in case of agreement.

Do you see the difference?

I think his latest calling people 'ignorant dorks' led to his current bin-time.

Jan Didden

Was it the "ignorant" part or the "dorks" part? Or perhaps it is the combination of the two? Would "dork ignoramuses" be better?

So hard to know...

Oh, maybe "geeks with insufficient knowledge"? Is that preferable?

:D

I suspect that Mr. Curl will return... I hope he is monitoring his own blood pressure in the meantime. I am monitoring mine. Actually, I am.

In my next project I will buy only parts with that elusive "f" suffix to use - they work so much better! Thanks for the idea!!

_-_-bear

I see JC is taking a break in a more chummy atmosphere. Audio is not the only discipline where I have observed the well experienced but less credentialed individuals develop huge chips on their shoulders. I see we are back to a broad engineering education with a solid grounding in fundamentals being a handicap in audio design. So be it, though I wish folks could be a little less acrimonious and more diplomatic at times. Not to say I have not slipped up now and then.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
John was banned.

Nah! he was just Binned, ie put in the bin for a week to relax and rest his lood pressure. The bin has comfy chairs, and a delish menu served by attractive server-types. He should be out this friday

There have been some musings by some about hopw they could express themselves more politely, and stop looking for things to disagree with vehemently. I like having John around, and we should all consider how we might miss a thread such as this, even if we might roll our eyes every now and again.. so I request that people follow up on their observations and make an effort (is it really an effort? ) to be more congenial

Mark

:captain:

Variac said:

Nah! he was just Binned, ie put in the bin for a week to relax and rest his lood pressure. The bin has comfy chairs, and a delish menu served by attractive server-types.

He should be out this friday

Mark

Yep, it was a typo, my bad.

I've spent myself a weekend in a comfy chair admiring the landscape, until you guys decided I don't really deserve a rest and threw me back in the lions dungeon.

Has anyone ever seen or heard a Blowtorch preamp ? After all that's what this thread is all about isn't it ? This pre-amp appears to be as rare as the proverbial Holy Grail and is more like a myth than something real.

I think John Curl hides behind the fact that nobody on this forum has ever seen or heard one of these pre-amps so nobody can really question his claims made about it. As well, I don't see John Curl to enthusiastic to post any pictures or actual measurements made on it. Surely he must have some pictures that he can post or does he just want to maintain that mythical air about it ;)

regards
Trev

What a silly and mean spirited post that was Trevor. First you attribute motives with no evidence and secondly you misread what appears to be at least JC's purpose for this thread. The first post appeared to laud the Blowtorch but the thread evolved with JC's apperance. Surely the discussion was to be on the design choices made, not to worship the pre-amp or its designer?

I also wonder how seriously peoples' sonic impressions of the Blowtorch would be taken if they had heard it? I also recall seeing pictures posted on here of the Blowtorch, so many have actually seen it.

Rob.

Robert F said:
What a silly and mean spirited post that was Trevor. First you attribute motives with no evidence and secondly you misread what appears to be at least JC's purpose for this thread. The first post appeared to laud the Blowtorch but the thread evolved with JC's apperance. Surely the discussion was to be on the design choices made, not to worship the pre-amp or its designer?

I also wonder how seriously peoples' sonic impressions of the Blowtorch would be taken if they had heard it? I also recall seeing pictures posted on here of the Blowtorch, so many have actually seen it.

Rob.

Read the original post Rob. The person who started this thread was looking for information regarding this pre-amp. Where is it ??

In case you missed it here is the original post.

regards
Trev

Hello,

For years, I collect all the documentatons, informations, schematics of the best audio designers and products. I possess many of the great brands.

The Blowtorch is the only preamplifier to do the unanimity with the audiophiles of the whole world, even for the tubes fans. Also, I am very interested by this preamplifier.

The Blowtorch preamplifier is the work of CTC Builders (Curl-Thompson-Crump). John Curl creates the electrical designs, Carl Thompson engineers the board designs, and Bob Crump chooses the parts.

Unfortunately, Bob Crump has just died at the end of 2005. With his kindness, I had been able to recover some information.

I believe that this preamplifier was built with less than 40 specimens and is not even available in Europe.

I search just in a strictly personal purpose and not commercial ; all the possible information, specifications, synoptic, diagram, schematics, inside pictures, on the Blowtorch power supply and line stage.

Thank you

Best Regards

Darry

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Trevor White said:
Has anyone ever seen or heard a Blowtorch preamp ? After all that's what this thread is all about isn't it ? This pre-amp appears to be as rare as the proverbial Holy Grail and is more like a myth than something real.

I think John Curl hides behind the fact that nobody on this forum has ever seen or heard one of these pre-amps so nobody can really question his claims made about it. As well, I don't see John Curl to enthusiastic to post any pictures or actual measurements made on it. Surely he must have some pictures that he can post or does he just want to maintain that mythical air about it ;)

regards
Trev

Vendetta Research homepage here

Blowtorch pictures and review here

Robert F said:
I also wonder how seriously people's sonic impressions of the Blowtorch would be taken if they had heard it?

Euh, more seriously than when they had not heard it ? :clown:

Trevor's Q&A : at least 4 members frequently paraded by who heard it, at least half of that number owns one.
(not counting J the Cell-mate, who may return with a fresh tattoo after a week of lifting weights again in the slammer)

I think John Curl hides behind the fact that nobody on this forum has ever seen or heard one of these pre-amps so nobody can really question his claims made about it.

If you had read the thread before asserting this, you might have found that you are mistaken. I haven't taken a count, but at least one person (me) on this thread has seen, touched, and heard the preamp. John and I have some disagreements, but he does NOT make false claims or try to push vaporware. He is a totally honest person.

Status
Not open for further replies.