John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the info, Rick. I have not seen that issue, yet.
Also, thanks for your offer, Joshua_G. I would take you up on it, if I could see how it could be done.
Right now, I am at a crossroads. I have a new phono stage, made to Vendetta Research or CTC standards, but I don't see any actual customers who are willing to buy it, if I put it into production.
This design will be competitive with Nelson Pass, Einstein, etc. , and I can only make a few hundred units over the lifetime of the product, with the available (and still best) parts. I doubt that I would want to build any more than that, in any case.
The problems in this industry, for me, is customers, almost completely, and of course, capitalization. I literally go from month-to-month, hoping for some royalties to pay the bills, and it is even tough for Parasound at the moment, even with great reviews. I can understand how many established hi enders like Nelson Pass can sell, as he has an established customer base through his excellent reputation and dealer base, but I have only one or two dealers that I can rely on. Most would rather that I go away, as they have too many different products on their shelf than they can sell successfully today.
We have to decide whether to reduce the case cost to something within reason, or go all out in order to compete with Nelson, Roland, etc. Reducing the case cost WILL reduce the shielding and the WAF. What to do? :scratch: (I know, sell the Porsche) No that is not a solution, so don't try it again, you turkeys!:mafioso:

PMA said:
It was shown, I do not intend to repeat myself. Just to mention that idle current is above 1A, that makes situation very different from 30 mA class B.

"I do not intend to repeat myself" :bigeyes: I bag your pardon. Your graph and the previous one too, lacks any decent comment or schematic (as usual). Don't you see that this a very annoying habit.
Besides, if it was shown somewhere else (which I doubt) , the least you could and should have done was to put a link to that schematic and/or explanation.

John,

I understand that these are difficult times for the business owner, but from what I have seen the high end products of all areas are still selling. The very best cars, boats, furniture, jewelry is still being bought by the wealthy. I know of at least two high end audio company’s that have a steady stream of orders coming in an I feel that their products appearance is as important to closing the sale as the sound is. I recommend taking your new product to the high end of appearance. It’s really emotion that sells something no matter what it is. Its how the product makes you feel. A great looking product will make the owner feel like he bought something of value, and when his friends come over to hear it he will be waiting to hear their reaction when they see it. Visual impact is very important to any high dollar product.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Re: maybe

albin said:
Call it a Curl

I can see the advertisement now: attractive professional woman arives home. She seems to almost caress her audio gear as she turns on some jazz. She pours some wine, sits in her listening chair and closes her eyes as the music takes her away. Then, duing a particularly tight passage her lips part and her hair "curls" into tight ringlets.

The new Iron series from Curl

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Rick Miller said:
John,

I know of at least two high end audio company’s that have a steady stream of orders coming in an I feel that their products appearance is as important to closing the sale as the sound is. ...

Visual impact is very important to any high dollar product.

I have always believed that the aesthetic presentation of a commercial offering is very important to the market.

You have me intrigued... who are the two companies? (If you prefer not to post openly could you post a private message to satisfy my deep curiosity?)

SY said:

So since that's not what I said, yes, you're making it up. That's easier, I suppose, than telling the truth.

SY,
Given that your post is cut-n'-pasted complete and without editing on my part, and that I gave sufficient information that others can track down the thread in question should they feel that it's taken out of context, anyone who feels I "done ya wrong" can check things out for themselves. Unless you intend to use "Moderator Powers" to edit the original post to conform to politically correct, measurements-oriented standards, I think your post speaks for itself.
(Note that I still remember different wording--albeit with the same general intent--but have neither the time nor psychic energy to track down another post. I expected you to disown this post [and was not disappointed in that regard] and expect that you would do the same for any other post you made with similar content.)
Hell, I gave you an 'out,' man...take it.
John,
If you can explain all the things we hear, you're a better than I am, Gunga Din. I've not yet heard an explanation that I regard as definitive for wire. That said, I'd be interested in any data you have regarding dendrites. (In mineralogical terms, dendrites apply in the context of minerals deposited hydrothermally, but that clearly doesn't apply to man-made cables.)
Would your dendrite data apply to cable direction?
You have my e-mail address.

Grey

P.S.: Mollydooker, The Boxer Shiraz '06...yum!

"A striking property of high-angle grain boundaries in pure polycrystalline copper (99.999%Cu) is that they are mobile in thin foil electron microscope specimens at room temperature and rotate during observation, preferentially at the surface intersections. p. 314 'Electron Microscopy of Interfaces in Metals and Alloys' C.T. Forwood, I. M. Clarebrough

A few post back there were some discussions about cap multipliers. And I use them too. But they generally have one slight imperfection -- high-ish output impedance, whether using (UHC) MOSFETs or Bipolar as pass device.

I came across the datasheet of LT3080 by chance. It is basically a cap multiplier using a CCS/R/C as voltage reference (instead of RCRC as filter) and an opamp in unity gain buffer mode to reduce output impedance. What do you think of the principle ?

The specs of the LT3080 is not great. The built-in opamp is too noisy. But something similar with better (more expensive) components can be build within a 10x8x25mm volume. Fits into standard TO220 heatsinks.

Any comments ?

Patrick

http://www.linear.com/pc/productDetail.jsp?navId=H0,C1,C1003,C1040,C1055,P38503

Status
Not open for further replies.