John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
AndrewT said:
now that we sort of understand each other, what about your first question to me, namely I replied. What's your comment?
[snip]

If you call that '0' in Pavel's circuit the Audio Ground, OK, if we declare that Official, fine with me.
I still have a question with that circuit. If I would do it, I would return each supply polarity separately to that Audio Ground, not through a common path /resistance/inductance.
I also don't understand what Pavel means by that 'siggnd' just above the '0', because from the diagram is it clear that the signal ground is that '0' point, the Audio Ground.
It is still incomplete because it is not clear where the amp internal grounds are routed to.

Jan Didden

bear said:

I just want to know if you have ever heard preamplifiers or power amplifiers sound different to your ears, especially the case where on some technical level (you define that from your own personal experience and knowledge) in your opinion you did not expect to hear any differences??

To Glenn: the overt hostility is not appreciated.

The overt hostility thing is curious. I don't happen to think there's a lot to religion--never seen/felt/heard/whatever, anything that would lead me to think otherwise. It would be easy enough to waste time on religious threads taking potshots at those who Believe, but it would be a waste of my already scant time and accomplish nothing.
On the other hand, I've had repeatable listening experiences and consider them valid evidence that there's more to audio than THD. Ever tried to quantify the tactile sensation of silk? It's there, but no one can measure it. Most people would agree that silk is soft, supple, and smooth, right? Yet, I once knew someone who described the feel of silk as having a slight vibration to it. Working from their description, the best I could do was to imagine a very fine-waled corduroy. So what's up with that? Maybe they had more--or less--perspiration on their hands, causing the fabric to exhibit a slip-stick characteristic. Or perhaps it was some subtle variation in the whorls of their fingertips. Who knows?
But I didn't argue the point with them, and that's the point.
There are, perhaps, a dozen people posting in this thread who feel that they need to spend their time arguing with things they don't agree with. Maybe they've got too much time on their hands. Maybe they're just afflicted with aggressive personalities. Maybe they're control freaks (Note the number of times the phrase 'uncontrolled listening tests' comes up. Ditto 'undisciplined' and similar words that are often uttered by those who wish to micromanage other peoples' lives according to their likes and dislikes.) Maybe they feel that their religion is being 'dissed.'
But somehow they feel it's their duty to quash the infidels and unbelievers and reassert their authority over matters audio.
Or maybe they've just got inflated egos and they act like this wherever they go.
Tragically, I recall a post from SY wherein he admitted that he had been listening to someone's system when they were doing listening comparisons of something rather esoteric (can't remember what--the post in question was quite some time ago) and he--get this--thought he heard something, but wasn't sure he was allowed to. I'm paraphrasing broadly, but the idea was that he chose to disregard what he heard, even though he kind-sorta, maybe, grudgingly, dammit-Ma-don't-make-me-tell-the-truth did actually hear something with his own two ears. Something off the reservation. Something not sanctioned. Something out of the realm of what is allowed within four-square engineering.
Egad, Mildred! Revoke his audio license! He's gone over to the enemy!
To me, it was just bloody sad.
Now, here we are with Scott hearing something, but doing his dead-level best to back away from the implications of that admission.
Same thing. It's sad.
Come on, Scott, face up to your obligation as a scientist and follow the unexpected observation. After all, it worked for Alexander Fleming.
Courage, man, courage!
By the way, happy birthday, John.

Grey

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
bear said:

To Glenn: the overt hostility is not appreciated.
Maybe you've spent too much time near automotive power tools and engines without mufflers, and sadly damaged your hearing.

If one values one's hearing, one should always wear hearing protection around loud sounds.

Firstly, my name is spelt with one n. I sign off nearly every post with it spelt that way so it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

Secondly, there is nothing wrong with my hearing. The rubbish you post there (and to the same effect with your multiple straw man arguments and characterisations in almost all of your posts) gives me little reason to take you seriously, especially when you hypocritically complain about ‘hostility’ on my part.

Thirdly, I’m probably the least “religious” audio devotee at this place. I have/had everything from >15% THD open loop SET’s in my system, flea power, high power, tube, solidstate, hybrid, class AB and ultra low distortion class A. Under the right conditions, every single amplifier has a definable characteristic and is pleasing in its own way.

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Yeah, happy BD John.

Edmond Stuart said:
Hi John,
Happy birthday.:cheers: So also an Aquarius :D, born in the zodiac sign of the greatest inventors ever.:smash:

Regards,
Edmond.

Google turned up this (for those that believe such BS) :D :D
BTW, I'm OK, I'm a Capricorn :)

Among the faults to which they are liable are fanatical eccentricity, wayward egotism, excessive detachment and an inclination to retreat from life and society, and a tendency to be extremely dogmatic in their opinions. Aquarians can be a threat to all they survey or a great boon for humanity in general. Circumstances - for example, continuous opposition to a cause they hold dear - may cause the atrophy of the openness of mind that is one of the Aquarian's most attractive traits. They may express a lack of integrity in broken promises, secretiveness or cunning. Simmering anger and resentment, rudeness or, worse, a tense, threatening silence which may suddenly burst out in eruptions of extreme temper, these are all part of the negative side of the Aquarian. This can also reveal itself in a sustained hatred for enemies that is capable of enlarging itself into a misanthropy toward the whole of mankind.

Possible Health Concerns...
As Aquarius is said to govern the legs from knees to ankles and the circulation of blood, its natives are susceptible to ailments particularly in the legs and ankles, such as cramps, and are also liable to spasmodic and nervous complaints, as well as wind, catarrh, diarrhea, dropsy, goiter and delirium tremens - so that the avoidance of alcohol is important for those Aquarians who have a taste for it.

:rofl:

Cheers,
Glen

Happy Birthday, John!

I recall a post from SY wherein he admitted that he had been listening to someone's system when they were doing listening comparisons of something rather esoteric (can't remember what--the post in question was quite some time ago) and he--get this--thought he heard something, but wasn't sure he was allowed to. I'm paraphrasing broadly

You're not paraphrasing, you're making it up. Not allowed to? What the heck does that mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.