John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joshua_G said:

I care more in how it sounds, or how it may impact the sound – I care less in how it works.
I DO know that there are things I neither know nor understand and I'm fine with it.
Concerning my audio system, I have it to enjoy music, rather than increase my knowledge.

Thanks.
I bought recently 100 of them on eBay from a fellow from China.

Hopefully you are not a victim, but there is a lot of counterfeiting going on with components. I have seen more evidence with Power Transistors than anything else but be aware.

john curl said:
everything else away. NOW, Toshiba jfets rule the scene, except that they are disappearing from existence.
The next manufacturer who will mostly fill in for Toshiba is Linear Systems, and they will probably be what we will have available in future, in jfets. They will be more expensive, but they should do for most applications.

Or Interfet http://www.interfet.com/pdf/DS_IF3602.pdf
Not without merit, but the capacitances are too high for my purposes.

Crystalonics may have sth. useful, too.

I went back to bipolar, b/c I need a very low 1/f noise corner and FETs just
don't cut it there. And I hate it that JFET producers barely can fill the
first page of a data sheet.

regards, Gerhard

gerhard said:

Or Interfet http://www.interfet.com/pdf/DS_IF3602.pdf
Not without merit, but the capacitances are too high for my purposes.

Crystalonics may have sth. useful, too.

I went back to bipolar, b/c I need a very low 1/f noise corner and FETs just
don't cut it there. And I hate it that JFET producers barely can fill the
first page of a data sheet.

regards, Gerhard

They must figure it's cheaper to sample and let the customer evaluate. It's a shame, the LSK170's actually have less Igx than the typical 2SK170.

100mV on a dual, why bother? We used to buy hand matched pairs at 15mV, they must be sandbagging that spec.

Joshua_G said:

I DO trust my ears, therefore, it's quiet unlikely that anyone is going to sell me snakes oil.

This wasn't to do with the sound and getting persuaded to buy something that was not effective, it is a serious awareness warning that fake components are being made and sold.

See http://sound.westhost.com/fake/counterfeit-p1.htm#mj15003 for a picture of an example.

I have no idea if tantalums caps are being made this way but anything is possible.

alansawyer said:

This wasn't to do with the sound and getting persuaded to buy something that was not effective, it is a serious awareness warning that fake components are being made and sold.

See http://sound.westhost.com/fake/counterfeit-p1.htm#mj15003 for a picture of an example.

I have no idea if tantalums caps are being made this way but anything is possible.

Indeed, anything is possible, especially with Chinese. I'll test the capacitors.

john curl said:

At CES there was a strange metal ball that was placed between the speakers. Talk about a 'graven image' BUT it did something right, at least in that demonstration setup.

Joshua_G said:
I care more in how it sounds, or how it may impact the sound ? I care less in how it works.
I DO know that there are things I neither know nor understand and I'm fine with it.
Concerning my audio system, I have it to enjoy music, rather than increase my knowledge.

I just finished a listening session where one subject was always placed between the speakers.

We noticed a net improvement in the sound, which means the ball(s) number and material is not critical.

I don't need to understand why this is happening, but I really enjoyed the music.

If they are heavy and have a kink on one side, they are probably real. If they tarnish on the outside, then they may be silver. I wouldn't worry too much.
The caps MUST be DC biased or they break. But then, their DA and impedance is very good. It is the SOLID tantalum, especially dipped in plastic, that are the most difficult to use without adding low frequency distortion and significant DA. I published the distortion in an IEEE paper back in 1978.

john curl said:
They are smart people, but they still lack experience.

Dr. John Hall, lack experience? Again you're speaking without thinking first.

If you think they can make a 1nV FET with 5pF of capacitance think again. They could parallel 4 - 2SK170's on one die, but that's essentially what that Interfet part is. The LSK170 noise is pretty good, a least the ones I measured. They have low Ron P-channel switches, has anyone even looked at their noise? (forget what the data sheet typ is). I tried some Vishay J111's and they were pretty good actually.

Igx is excess gate current at high Vgd. I'll bet they can't fix that either.

Status
Not open for further replies.