John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier - Page 513 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 18th May 2008, 09:11 PM   #5121
diyAudio Member

Hey guys,

Lets not go overboard on Planck's constant, QM, relativity, etc.
These are not reality, as a good scientist should know.
They are models to help us understand things better.

Lets not confuse the menu with the meal itself

Old 18th May 2008, 09:18 PM   #5122
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
The vast majority of discoveries come out of labs that are not more fully equipped than that.
No, not really. Not since... oh, maybe 1870.

Quote:
Ego wins no arguments. It can be written off as misunderstandings, with in the idea of not perfect communication on forums, due to being written word only. But I'm starting to think otherwise.
I can't really comment, other than to say that we're talking very basic undergraduate physics. If one doesn't understand that, maybe it's worth expending more energy to learn the basics instead of spouting nonsense. No misunderstanding, KBK truly doesn't understand basic physics.

If someone starts talking about circuits and about how Barrie Gilbert and Bob Widlar and Barney Oliver were hacks, and at the same time doesn't know Ohm's Law, could you take him seriously?

Old 18th May 2008, 09:46 PM   #5123
diyAudio Member

It was an INTERPOLATION Fizzard, not just a good guess.
I know about interpolation, because in 1958, in trig class, I confused interpolation with interpollenation. when asked by my teacher to describe the technique at the blackboard. Got lots of laughs, but I was sent back to my seat, as I wore Levis with a motorcycle belt, dark glasses, and was in a gang. Just call me 'net-head' ( from the movie, 'Stand and Deliver'). It was an accident, honest, but I couldn't lose my cool and explain it further to the teacher. Had to keep my standing with my peers.

Old 18th May 2008, 09:51 PM   #5124
KBK is offline KBK  Canada
diyAudio Member

I don't think I'm getting through, so I'll put it aside. You are both still forming the argument in terms that don't apply. Missing the point, you are. Trying talk to you guys is like trying to talk basic sense to a brick wall. John said as much in another thread about 1.5 years ago. He told me to stop wasting my time. So I will.

Old 18th May 2008, 10:05 PM   #5125
diyAudio Member

I'm sorry KBK, SY had no right to challenge you about physics. He may have a Ph.D in it, but he makes bottle caps for a living, so he isn't the best reference for us. I have tried to get him to help me with physics questions in the past, and even showed him 'naked Bybee modules' but he took no interest in meeting the man or understanding him. By the way, the Bybee modules got reviewed in 'The Absolute Sound' this month by Dick Olsher. Dick is an OK guy, but he can't reveal how they work, because of his military clearance and contracts as well, but he allegedly 'knows' how they work, and he said that these devices will never leave his system. Just like they won't leave mine. Sometimes, we just have to try it, but many here, never will. Just don't let the insults get to you. You must be 'hitting a nerve'.
For example, my intelligence is impugned just this morning!

Old 18th May 2008, 10:06 PM   #5126
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KBK
And Sy..the guys in their garages. At least they have equipment, but equipment is not necessary. The vast majority of discoveries come out of labs that are not more fully equipped than that.
Maybe, but the most important invention of the 20th century stems from an extremely well equipped garage...... Bell Labs.

Old 18th May 2008, 10:16 PM   #5127
fizzard is offline fizzard  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Edmond Stuart

Maybe, but the most important invention of the 20th century stems from an extremely well equipped garage...... Bell Labs.
Don't forget the garage of Hewlett and Packard.

Old 18th May 2008, 10:20 PM   #5128
KBK is offline KBK  Canada
diyAudio Member

John:

Well, when a guy decides he wants to leave 50% of the situation, 'the wave,' and 'spooky action at a distance', on the cutting room floor, as it seemingly destroys his sense of being, that the first clue that someone really needs to get themselves to a bit of introspection.

Sy, for example is aware of my new toy, but seems to be missing the point of how deep an understanding of the the basis, the very basic points of the actual mechanics of wave/particle duality, of physics of existence, and understanding of time itself...that it would take to get there..and also failing to understand that there's not a single other person on the planet who's served note, in any fashion, that they've made it that far. He's been kind enough to keep that to himself, and I thank him for it. I revealed it to him at an earlier date, not as a point of ego, or to make a point - but only to show him my neat new toy, personally hoping that he use it to further himself, in other endeavors. A Pure, simple act of giving freely, and sharing discovery, it was.

That particular point in physics is now going to be available as a realized physical item in the audio business. It looks as innocent as the day is long, but it's far more than that. For example, one of the leading technical labs in Texas, their head lab calibration and test gear expert, (a good solid physicist) heard about the thing and was so excited he was nearly jumping up and down on the spot. He wanted to know everything he could about it. The concept alone blew his mind. I will pm you with the info. But I'm stepping out of this, it's giving me grief I don't want.

Old 18th May 2008, 10:36 PM   #5129
diyAudio Member

KBK, you put yourself in trouble showing this first to people who do not want to believe in new ideas. In the end, it could hurt you, especially here, on this website.

Old 18th May 2008, 10:36 PM   #5130
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fizzard
Don't forget the garage of Hewlett and Packard.
Sure, also very memorable.

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!