John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Main issue or not, a CMRR of 30dB is below standard for such a pretentious amplifier. If you do it, do it right, but not this way.
Also the distortion of the input buffer is to high for such an amp.
I get 38ppm (with 2SK170-BL). While the rest of the amp is symmetrical/complementary, to me it's a great mystery why that buffer has not been made the same way. Ten times lower distortion at the expense of only two additional jfets and two resistors.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Anyone can use an opamp.

PMA, in my experience, using op-amps can be easier than discretes generally, but I'd say to get the best out of an op-amp, you need top know how to use them. There are too many cases where I see sloppy layout, not enough decoupling, using non-unity gain stable OPA's in 0dB gain applications (then they try to fix it by 'slugging' the feedback loop) etc. Discretes have their place, but I don't believe 'anyone' can use an op-amp and necessarily get good results.

One other point to be considered is that OPA's have come along way - thankfully we are not dealing with 741 type devices anymore (however, does anybody remember the 'Texan' amplifier based on - I think - a 741 opamp and CFP output stage - I'd love to look at that circuit again for nostalgic reasons - from the 1970s').

john curl said:
Very good Edmond, you get a gold star. You are only off by a factor of 2 or so, due to the amplitude loss across the fet follower, itself. Fire up the simulators gentlemen, and get me an exact value. Cap value changes are OK, as well

I didn't specify the input buffers at all. So what are you talking about? Of course, 3k43 is a theoretical value for buffers with Zo=0.

Status
Not open for further replies.