John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier - Page 1967 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 23rd June 2009, 01:54 AM   #19661
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally posted by fredex
Those who can design objectively better sounding gear certainly deserve recognition, the trouble is, no one can agree on what sounds best.
No one would agree with such conclusion because "what sounds best" is not defined in your statement.

Old 23rd June 2009, 02:09 AM   #19662
fredex is offline fredex  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Wavebourn, 'what sounds best', is what audiophiles are hunting for.
If they haven't got it they swap equipment to get it.

Old 23rd June 2009, 02:17 AM   #19663
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Wavebourn, 'what sounds best', is what audiophiles are hunting for.
If they haven't got it they swap equipment to get it.
Hmmm.... There are some people who knows what sounds best, they agree among each other, and they are hunting for?
So, you were kidding in the previous post about no one can agree what sounds best?

Quote:
Those who can design objectively better sounding gear certainly deserve recognition, the trouble is, no one can agree on what sounds best.

Old 23rd June 2009, 04:20 AM   #19664
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by syn08

a) Mac users using FireFox visiting my web site attached, you do the math. I can't and don't plan to make everybody happy due to time constraints. Believe it or not, I have to work for a living as well.

b) I'm not interested in doing any Audio related business, so I couldn't care less anyway. What I do is for free so essentially you get what you pay for.

c) However, I'm pretty sure you already read my friendly note: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...51#post1853951 Your feedback, even in these particular circumstances, is appreciated. I'll see what I can do about, unfortunately I don't have a Mac to test with.
I visited your site using Google Chrome and the version of Safari on my Nokia e90. I was sidetracked by the .com version on the phone but I got there. There may be something about Safari that isn't working with your site correctly, except on a PC Safari works OK. Software isn't any more consistent than audiofools opinions. . .

Old 23rd June 2009, 07:12 AM   #19665
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Wavebourn

There are different ways to express a counterview: either "I respectfully disagree with your position, because according to my information...",

and "You are a bad engineer" in case of a counterview, or "we did that 40 years ago" in case of agreement.

Do you see the difference?

I think his latest calling people 'ignorant dorks' led to his current bin-time.

Jan Didden

Old 23rd June 2009, 02:10 PM   #19666
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Was it the "ignorant" part or the "dorks" part? Or perhaps it is the combination of the two? Would "dork ignoramuses" be better?

So hard to know...

Oh, maybe "geeks with insufficient knowledge"? Is that preferable?

I suspect that Mr. Curl will return... I hope he is monitoring his own blood pressure in the meantime. I am monitoring mine. Actually, I am.

In my next project I will buy only parts with that elusive "f" suffix to use - they work so much better! Thanks for the idea!!

_-_-bear

Old 23rd June 2009, 04:45 PM   #19667
diyAudio Member

I see JC is taking a break in a more chummy atmosphere. Audio is not the only discipline where I have observed the well experienced but less credentialed individuals develop huge chips on their shoulders. I see we are back to a broad engineering education with a solid grounding in fundamentals being a handicap in audio design. So be it, though I wish folks could be a little less acrimonious and more diplomatic at times. Not to say I have not slipped up now and then.

Old 23rd June 2009, 07:10 PM   #19668
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bear

In my next project I will buy only parts with that elusive "f" suffix to use - they work so much better! Thanks for the idea!!

Like Ftoroplast capacitors, FETs, Film resistors, Film capacitors, what else is allowed?

Foil Teflon is the best: two "f"!

Old 23rd June 2009, 10:19 PM   #19669
Variac is online now Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Quote:
John was banned.
Nah! he was just Binned, ie put in the bin for a week to relax and rest his lood pressure. The bin has comfy chairs, and a delish menu served by attractive server-types. He should be out this friday

There have been some musings by some about hopw they could express themselves more politely, and stop looking for things to disagree with vehemently. I like having John around, and we should all consider how we might miss a thread such as this, even if we might roll our eyes every now and again.. so I request that people follow up on their observations and make an effort (is it really an effort? ) to be more congenial

Mark

Old 23rd June 2009, 10:25 PM   #19670
syn08 is offline syn08  Canada
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally posted by Variac

Nah! he was just Binned, ie put in the bin for a week to relax and rest his lood pressure. The bin has comfy chairs, and a delish menu served by attractive server-types.

He should be out this friday

Mark
Yep, it was a typo, my bad.

I've spent myself a weekend in a comfy chair admiring the landscape, until you guys decided I don't really deserve a rest and threw me back in the lions dungeon.

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!