John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier - Page 1632 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 26th March 2009, 01:56 PM   #16311
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Edmond Stuart
Have fun, Hannes, by reading: http://www.bybeetech.com/testimonials.asp

Some examples:
"Most importantly it tells my WHY the musicians are there, not just what they are doing... "
And this one:
"It turns out there are two types of electrons in the world, one type which tends to "hit" less. "
Thanks for my morning laugh.

This is actually complete nonsense....

"When electrons pass through conductors they "hit" the structure of the conductor, which causes noise (quantum noise). Minimizing this structure is one big reason "single crystal" wire works."

Old 26th March 2009, 02:08 PM   #16312
diyAudio Member

Indeed, highly entertaining stuff. Especially a "single crystal wire"

Old 26th March 2009, 02:37 PM   #16313
h_a is offline h_a  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
therefore he knew 'everything'
Oh no! There's a popular phrase of Feynman in which he expresses his belief that concerning other topics that do not concern physics "every physicist is as dumb as the next guy".

So in principle I could imagine that he had consultants.

It's just a little hard to imagine that Feynman who published fundamental works on fluid dynamics, mathematics and quantum electrodynamics - for which he got the nobel price - had a physics consultant.

I largely do not care about the Bybee stuff - if it works, that's fine with me.

What I'm wondering, however, is why it is necessary to ship - so to say - an explanation with the product. It's of course scientifically unproven so people with 'conventional' physics education are provoked and I imagine customers do not care anyway? So what's the point?

Have fun, Hannes

EDIT: oh and I apologize for being too strict in my previous post. Of course he was not standing alone.

Old 26th March 2009, 02:42 PM   #16314
jlsem is offline jlsem  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Truer than you think. Unlike most, he rarely had co-authors and almost never any grad students.
He must have learned that from Paul Dirac.

John

Old 26th March 2009, 02:55 PM   #16315
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by h_a

What I'm wondering, however, is why it is necessary to ship - so to say - an explanation with the product. It's of course scientifically unproven so people with 'conventional' physics education are provoked and I imagine customers do not care anyway? So what's the point?

But the quotes are wrong conventional physics.

Old 26th March 2009, 03:07 PM   #16316
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by h_a
[snip] It's of course scientifically unproven so people with 'conventional' physics education are provoked and I imagine customers do not care anyway? [snip]

Ahh but no! It is very important for the customer to have some sort of 'official' explanation, as it helps them to rationalise their considerable outlay.
I think you can learn a thing or two from Mr. Bybee about marketing (and so can I )

Jan Didden

Old 26th March 2009, 03:24 PM   #16317
diyAudio Member

Quote:
"It turns out there are two types of electrons in the world, one type which tends to "hit" less. "
What a pure bullsh..., but let's imagine this would be the case, then we have two fundamental hurdles:

1) Electrons drift at a rate of a few cm/second through a conductor, even if you could filter the "bad" electrons out, the compensation derived from this filtering would come a few seconds too late (cables tend to be extremely long considering electron drift rate ...)

2) (Voltage) Noise in a cable is there even if no electrons "flow" through it, so where to go with all the "bad" electrons inside this conductor ?? Sending a continuous DC current through it and "purify" it at the entry and the exit ??

I am not the opinion that plain lies are good marketing and isn't Mr. Bybee's bank account much more improved than any hifi system ?

Old 26th March 2009, 03:42 PM   #16318
diyAudio Member

Most people that know about physics are of course aware that there is no such thing as an electron that drifts or goes anywhere. The concept of the electron as a particle is just a convenient metaphore, to the convenience of both customers and suppliers, it seems.

Jan Didden

Old 26th March 2009, 03:50 PM   #16319
diyAudio Member

Plus ca change...

People believe what they want to believe, whether it is objective or not. Sometimes, even in the face of contrary objective evidence.

People usually make bogus claims because:
1. They are mistaken
2. They repeat a bogus claim they have borrowed from someone whose opinion they choose to trust (naive)
3. They consider it ok to call conjecture true until it is proven false (irresponsible)
4. They choose to be dishonest (hidden agenda/manipulation)

The audio industry is full of it. Literally.

Old 26th March 2009, 04:23 PM   #16320
diyAudio Member

Prejudice concerning Bybee has surfaced, big time, just like I expected
For the record, I have known Jack Bybee for about 15 years, and am now a part time business partner with him on a special project, that I can't talk about, until the patents are issued.
It, has NOTHING, by the way, to do with quantum physics, in case that might upset you.
I, too, was first cynical about Bybee and his 'purifiers'. BUT, I listened to the devices about 15 years ago, as an assignment from Parasound, and found that although I could not MEASURE them, I could, indeed, HEAR them, especially with STAX Lambda Pro phones with direct drive tube electronics. As time went on, I finally met Jack Bybee and we became friends. We have shared many experiences with each other, over the years.
For example, when Jack was getting is Masters degree in Physics at Cal Berkeley, he lived in the same house as I did, 10 years later, when I first moved to Berkeley in 1964.
We once went to the CAL bookstore, and Jack bought a book on meso-physics (I think that was the name) and a CAL sweatshirt, while I bought a HP calculator. He loaned me books that were way over my head, (difficult, but not impossible), on mathematics that described certain processes that he wanted me to know about, if possible, in order to understand the basis of his devices.
I have seen the insides of the devices, and helped him find the external resistors that he initially used with his early parts. (He uses more sophisticated 'resistors' now.)
His critics have been completely off base as to what he makes, where he gets his materials, or what these devices actually do.
All this I know and can attest to.
NOW, what about his internment at Cal Tech with Richard Feynman?
He explained that, in some detail, to me, this morning, not 10 minutes ago. It will have to wait for another response in future.

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!