John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier - Page 161 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 3rd August 2007, 12:54 AM   #1601
diyAudio Member

Then order it from Signal Transformer. That's what I do.

Old 3rd August 2007, 12:55 AM   #1602
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Steve,
Look at it this way, you now have the exact specs for that part that John graciously provided us. Use something close or have it custom ordered.

-Chris

Edit: Your post just popped up John. Amazing how that works.

Old 3rd August 2007, 01:14 AM   #1603
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Eddy
Well, yes. It would be easier if DigiKey um... actually stocked that transformer. se
Read back through this thread and, if you don't move many light years ahead through a combination of true electronics fundamentals tempered by seat of the pants experience, then you're missing a significant piece of the roadwork.

I was ready to nominate John for sainthood after tripping across this thread a couple of years ago, but then, I don't get out much.

If this thread was to take a less judgemental tone and just discuss things at face value, there's alot to learn. No need to simulate, just try this and report back as to what it sounds like...

Ah, but this is 2007 (question: isn't there a really cool high-tech approach to all this?) (Answer: just listen to what is out there in reproduced audio and there's your answer...). A DIY experimenter has a definite leg up.

Old 3rd August 2007, 02:02 AM   #1604
diyAudio Member

Man, I could have sworn I put a big green shi*-eatin' grin smiley at the end of my post.

Geez people, loosen up those sphincters a bit.

se

Old 3rd August 2007, 02:10 AM   #1605
diyAudio Member

Now that I have given the brand and the part number of the transformer, can we go on with something else? Thanks again, JB for the caps and the Fets, keep them coming!

Old 3rd August 2007, 02:36 AM   #1606
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by john curl
Now that I have given the brand and the part number of the transformer, can we go on with something else?

Oh, please do

This should be a discussion of philisophy, not a "how do we make JC tell us how to copy his product" chat.
Really, JC is not going to be around forever, better learn from him than copy his design.....

Magura

Old 3rd August 2007, 04:05 AM   #1607
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi John,
I think Magura may be on to something. But, is there something you would like to discuss or ask?

Not that I expect to do any teaching here (far from it), philosophies maybe? Materials and why?

-Chris

Old 3rd August 2007, 07:29 AM   #1608
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
Design engineer, consultant
diyAudio Member

John,

I wonder if you could kindly describe sound difference between balanced and single-ended output of this preamp. I assume that the difference might be higher than between balanced and single-ended input of the BT. Just based on simulation, not sonic experience with the BT.

Regards,
Pavel

Old 3rd August 2007, 10:31 AM   #1609
Vogue is offline Vogue  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Well I think JC has been very helpful by giving a lot of information on the Blowtorch. So please try to appreciate this!

I donít have the skills to make a copy of the Blowtorch, but have found some good information to a less complex project.

Thanks Mr. Curl for sharing some ideas and his knowledge.

Vogue

Old 3rd August 2007, 05:13 PM   #1610
diyAudio Member

Balanced has lower distortion, because it cancels any even harmonics and lowers the drive voltage on each leg to the power amp. Because I am using a Jenna Labs balanced, but unshielded interconnect between the preamp and the power amp, it is best that I use it in balanced mode to cancel any stray pickup from the air.
I am not too concerned with a little extra residual 2'nd harmonic, but it does embarrass me that I did not get it perfect in the first place. The circuit is completely balanced, but the active parts are always a little off, especially from N to P, and this adds extra even order distortion.

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!