John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier - Page 15 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 20th January 2006, 05:39 AM   #141
diyAudio Member

Default cap DA

Poobah, are you talking about possible IMD, between the (PS residual?) and the O/P? is that what was missed?

Old 20th January 2006, 05:44 AM   #142
diyAudio Member

I recommend looking at Photo #6 of a 10uf aluminum cap compared to an 8 uf polypropylene cap differentially subtracted with a (nominal) 50k load on both caps in the article: 'A Real-Time Signal Test for Capacitor Quality'. This article can be found on Walt Jung's website.
With a differential test, one can see that the signal difference between the caps lingers many times longer than the original test signal.
It looks like 'smearing' to me, but then, what do I know?

Old 20th January 2006, 05:47 AM   #143
poobah is offline poobah  United States
diyAudio Member

I guess I wont talk about what is missing (my soundstage is closed) until I investigate... and this will take months. I have no opinion... only suspicions... about the DA issue in caps. On one hand I tend to think people going on about caps are just nutcases... OTOH, there seems to be a pretty fair number of nutcases... more so than speaker wires.

So...

Old 20th January 2006, 05:56 AM   #144
diyAudio Member

Perhpas it is once again timr for a reminder about Ken Kunderts very good paper about DA from a physical point of view
www.designers-guide.org/Modeling/da.pdf

It is the most comprehensive description i have seen about what DA is, but don't expect any discussion about audio applications there. So far, I have never until this thread seen anybody on the forum disagreeing with the linear model of DA that Kundert, Pease and other use, so whatever DA does to the sound, it is a linear effect, or it isn't caused by DA.

Old 20th January 2006, 05:56 AM   #145
diyAudio Member

Actually,

I have most of Jung's books. I took him pretty seriously and still do. But, I read something he "co-authored" on a website about caps/cables or something... it was pretty... uh... uh... well, alot of really stupid adjectives... again. I think he sold/tired out (I have no problem with that...)

May be some of this stuff is true... seems like it shouldn't be rocket science to get to the facts. There is always a 20 year lag between one guy knowing the truth and the rest of us... 'sides, what do I know?

Old 20th January 2006, 05:59 AM   #146
diyAudio Member

Christer,

Thanks, I haven't seen that one before...

I'll read it.

Old 20th January 2006, 06:34 AM   #147
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by poobah
I have most of Jung's books. I took him pretty seriously and still do. But, I read something he "co-authored" on a website about caps/cables or something... it was pretty... uh... uh... well, alot of really stupid adjectives... again. I think he sold/tired out .....
Hi poobah. You don't mean "Picking Capacitors" by any chance? That 'sell-out' article is over a quarter century old.

http://www.capacitors.com/picking_ca...rs/pickcap.htm

Old 20th January 2006, 06:36 AM   #148
Account Disabled

Absolutely agree. If you want absolute transparency, and detail - elimination of signal path C's is imperative. Only, of course, if the rest of the system is similar.

The best capacitor is no capacitor.

Cheers,
Greg

Old 20th January 2006, 06:39 AM   #149
diyAudio Member

I recommend looking at Photo #6 of a 10uf aluminum cap compared to an 8 uf polypropylene cap differentially subtracted with a (nominal) 50k load on both caps in the article: 'A Real-Time Signal Test for Capacitor Quality'. This article can be found on Walt Jung's website.
With a differential test, one can see that the signal difference between the caps lingers many times longer than the original test signal.
It looks like 'smearing' to me, but then, what do I know?

Old 20th January 2006, 08:42 AM   #150
diyAudio Moderator

Guys, we're discussing a preamp, not personalities. Stick to the topic. Off topic posts removed.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!