John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier - Page 113 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 4th May 2006, 07:55 AM   #1121
Account Disabled

Hi, PMA,

Agree with you... Works in all directions.. I sometimes got interesting papers and schematics from ex-USSR, but I am still to get parameters for some parts used, and still more for the parts themselves... Was a kind of general agreement that USSR parts were no audio made, but only military rejects with little or no data available... So, difficult engineering with these, and a partial explanation of the US/Europe/Japan parts general use...

And Big Guys... Yes,.... But there are some here too in Europe and UK. Most are even NOT in the audio stuff making business, but were formerly technical journalists or scientists... AKSA named Walther from La Maison de l'Audiophile for Le Solstice... This guy worked hard with Jean Hiraga for years in the "L'Audiophile" journal (now defunct, sadly...).

Their master word was "simple topology with reproductible results" and a "straight wire with gain" approach... La Maison de 'Audiophile just sold (and still sells) parts and DIY kits based on these works. Back in 80's, they were first in Europe to IMPORT some Japanese semiconductors that are now our audio prefered ones (very risky business at the time).

This revue did a big effort : to have some interesting but obscure Japanese papers excerpts translated. Now if we consider things, when a guy translate from his native language into English (for instance), he just SPREADS cross knowledge an introduce some new threads maybe... All guys here are not professionals, and just post for more fun... Just my 2 cents...

Jbaudiophile

Old 4th May 2006, 08:13 AM   #1122
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

Bon matin Jb,

je suis travaillé - oh sorry - I had worked as a research worker those times and we had had a possibility to purchase foreign IC circuits and components, so I took a chance to get enough experience with them. There had always been IC producer here in Czechoslovakia (TESLA) with a limited range of standard IC series, both analog and digital.

Regarding russian components, they had their own and it makes replacements difficult. Fortunately these days are over.

I think the best prove is a comparative test, and we try to do it, even with well known audio gear. Long-distance verbal comparation is quite difficult, probably impossible.

Pavel

Old 4th May 2006, 08:53 AM   #1123
diyAudio Member

" Simple topology and reproductible results " - good design may not be simply... I misunderstand, why these words are that fetich... Simplicity is good, if give better results than complexity and it is not rule in every cases...

Old 4th May 2006, 12:25 PM   #1124
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Upupa Epops
It is not so simply, Terry... Exist " natural " space and " pseudospace "... But it is for long talking... Good space give ( in look of amp ) very low distortion and correct designed PS, wrong space high distortion and big crosstalk....
WRT natural space and pseudo space... were you present at the
recording?

A lot of the work I have done is front ends for classical minimalist
recording engineers. So when you say real space do you know what
mics were used, what the venue was, did they use MS encode /
decode, what ADC's etc etc.... yes it is a long talk

However, my statement stands, the front end (of replay), DAC, still
has a huge impact. The ADC has more but you cannot control that
aspect. And I am not sure if you have listened to many ADC's, or
know intimately the circuitry of them, I do. Unfortunately, generally
speaking ADC's used in a lot of recordings are not to the same std
of most of our reply systems..... yes it is a long talk

But getting back to the threads real content, zero feedback front
ends versus feedback! Well I have built a number of front ends
for the recording side for classical recording engineers and they
usually preferred the zero feedback circuit iterations. This was
in direct comparison to the live source. Now my circuits differed from
the Blowtorch, I believe measured more linear, whether that is an
issue I am not sure.

So keep your sunglesses, and keep your winks, there are a few
people here who know very much what we are talking about and
have a lot of experience with the -whole- signal chain, right from
source.

It's OK to sit there with your replay system and profess to us all
how we are deluded, euphonic worshippers.

My yardstick is the real event, and the guys that record it.

Cheers,

Terry

_o_

Old 4th May 2006, 12:26 PM   #1125
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi PMA,
Quote:
We may have different circuit design attitude compared to JC or CH.H. e.g., and it is based on different results with different topologies than they were using. We sometimes feel that the DIY community is pushed to some sort of "subjective truth", that we do not find universal, so we dare to oppose. I do not think this would be a problem and a lot of e-mails I receive from people with different tastes than non-feedback e.g. convince me that I am probably not wrong. Most of those people do not have courage enough to oppose the Big Guys here. And do not forget that the Big Guys have basic advantage in using of their native language.
As long as everyone posts respectfully, there is no problem. If someone wishes to disagree I believe there should be some examples from their own experience given. Otherwise it only appears as a difference of opinion with no experience to those who don't know the personalities involved.

Anyhow, as long as a disagreement is held to a courteous tone, I think they enrich the thread.

-Chris

Old 4th May 2006, 12:36 PM   #1126
diyAudio Member

Hi Chris,

I agree. And I hope that I try to give examples of my own experience, both circuit design and measurements. To transfer listening experience into ASCII characters and drawings is a little bit more difficult, though. So I do not do it very often .

Regards,
Pavel

Old 4th May 2006, 12:44 PM   #1127
diyAudio Member

Terry,

apparently you are experienced in recording. How do you like Millennia Media preamp, how do you like Ed Meitner's products?

Regards,
Pavel

Old 4th May 2006, 12:50 PM   #1128
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Terry,
Quote:
Now my circuits differed from
the Blowtorch, I believe measured more linear, whether that is an
issue I am not sure.
Can you give us something to work with on this? A description or partial schematic would work.

-Chris

Old 4th May 2006, 12:51 PM   #1129
diyAudio Member

I am sure that most of you are aware of the fact that "sweet tube pleasant sound" is usually created during recording/mastering by selection of proper equaliser or DSP, all in solid-state circuits ....

Old 4th May 2006, 12:55 PM   #1130
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Pavel,
If you wish to share, a link to your website, or jpg of something hand drawn is more than enough.

I wouldn't try an ascii drawing, I don't have the patience.

-Chris

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!