John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier - Page 112 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 3rd May 2006, 08:42 PM   #1111
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks Al...

I lived in the UK previously - 4 years in Aberdeen, 2 near London (Weybridge). Perhaps we could trade pub notes? I'll get the better of that deal, as I'm quite sure that yours are far more extensive.

Old 3rd May 2006, 11:11 PM   #1112
diyAudio Member

Default Re: ...still in th same place...

Quote:
Originally posted by Upupa Epops
Space imaging is mainly made by attributes of speakers....
Other components can have almost as big effect. Especially the source.

Old 3rd May 2006, 11:35 PM   #1113
diyAudio Member

It is not so simply, Terry... Exist " natural " space and " pseudospace "... But it is for long talking... Good space give ( in look of amp ) very low distortion and correct designed PS, wrong space high distortion and big crosstalk....

Old 3rd May 2006, 11:47 PM   #1114
diyAudio Member

I have been told before that the CTC preamp 'images' better than most preamps. Bob Crump was very sensitive about imaging. I suspect that is was the open-loop circuit, serious separation of components for low x-talk, and Bob's choice in passive components that makes this so.
I know what doesn't work however. Asymmetrical x-talk, and secondly, any significant amount of symmetrical x-talk. Many preamps have a combination of these problems.

Old 4th May 2006, 12:00 AM   #1115
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Epopa,

I read your somewhat negative posts, and find myself wondering what you do know, Pavel. You disagree with everyone, yet have nothing constructive to add..... Could it be that you know it all, but are too worried about IP to tell us?

Your friend, PMA, has been a large contributor here, and helpful to others with questions. Perhaps you should follow his example?

Cheers,

Hugh

Old 4th May 2006, 12:24 AM   #1116
diyAudio Member

Negative posts... truth is little bit different, Hugh.... I like it all very much... I doing it all my life... I was living in country, where was problem to get quite usual PNP transistor...JC was at this times my God... I was learn from him really very much... but now I see, that these giants ( JC, NP and others ) need little feedback from lustily thinking ones...healthful opposition, you know....

Old 4th May 2006, 12:55 AM   #1117
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Epops,

I'm not sure I agree, but OK, let's take it on face value and assume you really do know what you are talking about.

Rather than 'lustily oppose' these old greats (and you must be fifty yourself, surely??), how about some equal ranking ideas?

For example, what are your thoughts on MC head amps? How do you increase PSRR on a simple SE JFET input stage? Do you use feedback? Cascoding? What about EQ on MM designs? What are your thoughts on Le Pacific, Monsieur Walther's design from Maison D'Audiophile? Active, or passive, tube or SS? And so on......

In closing, I appreciate that you post in a foreign language. It is good to have so many Europeans on this forum.

Cheers,

Hugh

Old 4th May 2006, 02:04 AM   #1118
diyAudio Member

Hugh,
People who think they know it all are impervious to reality. Their egos won't allow them to admit to things that don't fit with their preconceived notions.
And yet they dare accuse others of disregarding facts...
It's just arrogance masquerading as knowledge. They--and only they--are the bearers of Truth. That's not science, it's religion. They skipped class the day the teacher taught that science is supposed to check theories against the real world.
John,
Your comment several posts back about non-linear capacitance is interesting. Presumably, an open loop circuit with wide bandwidth either has little capacitance to begin with or the native capacitance has been scotched by various topologies, board construction, etc. The wide bandwidth and good imaging aren't necessarily causal to one another, they both just sort of naturally fall out of the circuit if you can tame the capacitance. The problem with testing this is that to change the capacitance (presumed non-linear, derived from the devices themselves), you have to change the devices or the topology or both. At that point, you're going to have a circuit that sounds different, regardless. Heisenberg could have been speaking of electronics instead of particle physics.
Unfortunately, I live in a very poor corner of the country. The chances of me ever hearing this circuit are slim to none. However, I have a kid entering Berkley this year for graduate work in chemistry and biochemistry. Any given county in California represents more money than my entire state. Perhaps I'll visit her and try to hunt down one of these things while I'm over there.
I don't have my schematic program with me, so I'll try describing something verbally, knowing full well that the odds are against me:
Assume something similar to the single-ended JC-2 line stage--a differential followed by an output stage that is both folded cascode (Source driven from one half of the differential) and common Source (Gate driven from the other half of the differential). Is it practical to use two resistors in series as the load for each side of the differential and make a balanced circuit that way (each output phase hooks to both sides of the differential, for a total of four connections to the front end differential loads) or does the Ciss of one output foul up the other output's Source?
If my description is too opaque, I'll draw it up when I get home.

Grey

P.S.: What do you call that topology? It's more than just a folded cascode, surely.

Old 4th May 2006, 06:23 AM   #1119
tvi is offline tvi  Australia
diyAudio Member

Like This?
Attached Images
File Type: gif jc bal.gif (61.7 KB, 1062 views)

Old 4th May 2006, 06:45 AM   #1120
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AKSA

Rather than 'lustily oppose' these old greats (and you must be fifty yourself, surely??), how about some equal ranking ideas?

Hugh,

as you know, we both are over fifty with Upupa Epops. He is a great designer with plenty of experience and results during his professional career. His unlucky fortune was to be born behind iron curtain. Nobody can make a choice of his place of birth. Upupa is very straightforward and protects thoroughly his point of view. He has a right to do that based on his excellent results.

We may have different circuit design attitude compared to JC or CH.H. e.g., and it is based on different results with different topologies than they were using. We sometimes feel that the DIY community is pushed to some sort of "subjective truth", that we do not find universal, so we dare to oppose. I do not think this would be a problem and a lot of e-mails I receive from people with different tastes than non-feedback e.g. convince me that I am probably not wrong. Most of those people do not have courage enough to oppose the Big Guys here. And do not forget that the Big Guys have basic advantage in using of their native language.

All the best,

Pavel

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!