John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier - Page 110 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 2nd May 2006, 07:24 AM   #1091
diyAudio Member

Fan club or denomination of feedbackless amps, Patrick ? Now I understand, discussion is vain....

Old 2nd May 2006, 07:35 AM   #1092
diyAudio Member

Grey, I had the same experience with the Grateful Dead back in 1970-71. They originally used Ampex tube mixers and Mac tube power amps. They wanted me to help them update to solid state. Well, most of our efforts for the first few years was essentially a failure. Open loop tubes actually sounded better than my IC op amp designs. It wasn't until I read Otala's papers that I was able to make successful solid state products with high open loop bandwidth, high slew rate and reasonably low distortion that pleased the band. Later, Mark Levinson built and used these circuits for the JC-2 preamp.

Old 2nd May 2006, 07:38 AM   #1093
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

> Fan club or denomination of feedbackless amps, Patrick ?

I have both in my chain, with or without global feedback.
And I have both versions built for my linestage.

Patrick

Old 2nd May 2006, 02:30 PM   #1094
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
Design engineer, consultant
diyAudio Member

Nice article, proving that there is nothing like "pleasant distortion", "harmonic fullness" etc.

http://www.stereophile.com/reference/406howard/

Old 2nd May 2006, 02:37 PM   #1095
diyAudio Member

John,
Something I have found curious is that a solid state piece might take an open loop bandwidth of 200-300kHz to acheive similiar sonic qualities to a tube piece that has OL bandwidth of perhaps 75-100kHz. Granted, we're talking inherent differences between the circuits, but shooting from the hip I would say that, if anything, it should be the other way around, with the tube piece requiring greater bandwidth in order to push (coupling capacitor and/or transformer) phase shifts further out of the audible frequency range.
Got any ideas on that?

Grey

Old 2nd May 2006, 04:47 PM   #1096
diyAudio Member

Grey, this is a fairly narrow conclusion, but I would look at the effect of non-linear capacitance of the active devices for an answer. It is well known that transistors and fets have a lot of it, and this would be the primary limitation to open loop bandwidth. Less 'effective' capacitance means higher bandwidth.

Old 2nd May 2006, 04:50 PM   #1097
diyAudio Member

Default Blowtorch in Europe

Hi Folks,

I've enjoyed reading the thread. I have just acquired a Blowtorch, something I've coveted for some time - ever since I heard Bob Crump's unit at his home. Nothing that I have ever heard equals the musical honesty of this preamp.

Early on, I noticed that several folks had observed that there apparently were no Blowtorchs in Europe. Well, that MAY change. I'd estimate roughly 50:50 odds that there will be one in London this year - mine. This would be my second time working in the UK, and is something I'm hoping works out. We shall see. Regardless, just wanted you to know that those in the area towards the end of the year would be welcome to drop by if they wish.

Mike

Old 2nd May 2006, 10:17 PM   #1098
joho is offline joho  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Talking Blowtorch inspection team

Hi Mike,

Watch out for Sherlock Holmes and his magnifying glass!

Gr.
Johan.

Old 2nd May 2006, 10:38 PM   #1099
Account Disabled

Hi, Joho,

And just wait Dr Watson for autopsy...

Jbaudiophile

Old 3rd May 2006, 12:41 AM   #1100
diyAudio Member

It is good to hear from someone who has actually listened to the blowtorch preamp and likes it.

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!