John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not very experienced in shunt regs…

Hello Richard,

You’ll find a number of shunt regulator designs on diyaudio, though most are using feedback. I am not saying that they are better than your design, but they might be good for comparison. Here is another Op-Amp based regulator: http://www.euronet.nl/~aespreng/Shuntregv11d/. There was also a nice design from Manuel Huber with a discrete Opamp. It was for a tube supply but could be adapted for lower voltages. It’s no longer online but I have a copy, in case you are interested.

Btw, Jan Didden posted a LM317 shuntreg schematic recently, for those who want two LM317 in the supply (CCS followed by the shuntreg). I trust that the LM317 works in this configuration :scratch1: (I am going to find out soon …).

One question on your grounding scheme: If you have two separate bridges already would it not be better to keep the ground runs separate and only connet to a starground once, near the amplifyer circuit? :scratch1:

Hello,

Since always, I tried to provide to my circuits the best current and the best tension.

For it, I tried many designs of power supply, solid state, vacuum tubes, regulated, stabilized, with very great caps, of Jung type, …

I have, of course, tried various batteries also, with more or less of success, because of problems of load and discharge, even of smell for batteries of cars.

I have always dreamed of a AC power supply with qualities of batteries.

I made of long and of numerous search for, I read a lot of articles of John Curl, of regretted Bob Crump, of Charles Hansen and good of other audio designers, on this topic.

One day, I read an article where John Curl said:

""" The goal is to emulate the virtues of a battery power supply ""

Also, today, I propose you this schematic what is the result of all my readings and, a little, de my experience. It seems to me that it is isolated well to AC windings.

It functions correctly but, only John Curl and God or God and John Curl, can say if it has all qualities of a battery. LOL

A big thank you again to John Curl for all information that he wanted to give.

Regards

Darry

Attachments

• psu.pdf
    21.5 KB · Views: 2,380
Darry said:
Hello,

Since always, I tried to provide to my circuits the best current and the best tension.

For it, I tried many designs of power supply, solid state, vacuum tubes, regulated, stabilized, with very great caps, of Jung type, …

I have, of course, tried various batteries also, with more or less of success, because of problems of load and discharge, even of smell for batteries of cars.

I have always dreamed of a AC power supply with qualities of batteries.

I made of long and of numerous search for, I read a lot of articles of John Curl, of regretted Bob Crump, of Charles Hansen and good of other audio designers, on this topic.

One day, I read an article where John Curl said:

""" The goal is to emulate the virtues of a battery power supply ""

Also, today, I propose you this schematic what is the result of all my readings and, a little, de my experience. It seems to me that it is isolated well to AC windings.

It functions correctly but, only John Curl and God or God and John Curl, can say if it has all qualities of a battery. LOL

A big thank you again to John Curl for all information that he wanted to give.

Regards

Darry

Sorry your supply has a wrong way of thinking. What is ur reference????
:cool:

I read these latest inputs with some confusion. I think that Darry's circuit is pretty darn good, and very close to what I do. In fact, the left half is almost exactly what my schematic looks like, including the input power cap configuration.
As far as shaft extenders go, they can be a good choice. We are using them in the Parasound JC-2 preamp that was first introduced at the CES show to extend the pot shafts.
I don't know what to say about switched grounds, but they could be a good idea.

Christer said:
If you take the effort to switch the grounds, would'nt you want a 4-pole switch so you don't have to join the grounds at the switch? I guess it depends a bit on how the rest of circuitry looks, though.

Or perhaps I didn't get the idea? :)

No, you didn't get the idea.
You use 3 pins for each input, on the outer side of the switch (signal left, right, and ground).
Then you use the central pins for the output: left, right and ground.
Easy.
This is like as if you had only one input on your pre: nothing gets mixed, not even the grounds.

carlosfm said:

No, you didn't get the idea.
You use 3 pins for each input, on the outer side of the switch (signal left, right, and ground).
Then you use the central pins for the output: left, right and ground.
Easy.
This is like as if you had only one input on your pre: nothing gets mixed, not even the grounds.

Maybe I still don't get the point, or I was unclear. What I meant was that you have to join the left and right channel grounds, not the grounds for different sources. If you use a 4-pole switch you can switch also the grounds separately for left and right channel. Maybe doesn't matter much, but if we are switching grounds we are striving for perfection, so why not go all the way?

Christer said:
Maybe I still don't get the point, or I was unclear. What I meant was that you have to join the left and right channel grounds, not the grounds for different sources. If you use a 4-pole switch you can switch also the grounds separately for left and right channel. Maybe doesn't matter much, but if we are switching grounds we are striving for perfection, so why not go all the way?

Ah, right.
Well, unless I have independent PSUs per channel, I would join the channel grounds right across each RCA pair, so only one ground wire comes to the switch.
To keep everything separated a 4 pole switch is needed.

carlosfm said:

Ah, right.
Well, unless I have independent PSUs per channel, I would join the channel grounds right across each RCA pair, so only one ground wire comes to the switch.
To keep everything separated a 4 pole switch is needed.

Then we agree. Yes, It probably doesn't matter much unless it is true dual mono, but in some cases it might introduce some extra ground loop (I think).

lineup said:

If you use a precision voltage regulator with an output of 0.00V
to make your GROUND, you can be sure GND is at 0 Volt.
All the time.

Otherwise, without regulation,
if you are unlucky,
GROUND may be whatever voltage.

But note that the secondaries are floating, so if you join them at the ground point directly or via regulators shouldn't matter from that point of view, as far as I can see. I was rather speculating whether the point could be to make the load similar on both rail and gorund to make the common mode filter work better?

Status
Not open for further replies.