poor man reciever

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Sony receivers suck. Big time, and that's as honest an opinion as you can ever get.

The power is all rated at 10% THD, so what you can usefully get is about half the power, so bring that 100 watts down to about 50 watts for a more accurate picture.

Of course if 'cheap' is your only criteria it'll get the job done, but will sound cheap unless you've got speakers that can't tell the difference (i.e not sufficiently resolved).

I do have several pieces of Sony equipment in my house, they get the job done, I even have a little all-in-one home theater system that sounds OK on movies (I watch about 1 movie a month) but absolutely horrendous with music (I don't use it to listen to music)

If you are not into surround sound (although this limit does not apply dead strict to what I am about to say), then you might want to look at some older receivers by Sony, mfg. up to perhaps 1993, with te very important stipulation that there has to be an 'ES' in the name (or derivatives, ESD for instance). Although the ES line has been watered down lately by the inclusion of another line between it and the regular consumer crap (that being the QS line), it mostly has some pretty fine components in it. Refering to Sony's stuff as a whole, they are no worse than others and better than most for the money you pay. Unlike many companies that have split into different named brands to divide the consumer and more up-market stuff, Sony uses the same name, but different lines of products. The lowest QS branded device is a re-dressed top consumer device. The lowest ES barnded device is a re-dressed top QS branded device. There is some confusion with HT receivers as the market is huge and will swallow pretty much everything, so that's what you can find in it. A new ES component will usually set you back about $400 and upwards (and upwards almost has no limit). Before 1993, and for some components (excluding HT!) later, ES was very good to top-notch. It is also made to last, which is why it pays sometimes to look for them on eBay. Just beware of the usual eBay problems and find a reputable salesman. If you can find a reputable guy that deals in vintage stuff, some of their vintage receivers (197x.. unfortunately without remote...) were very good and in some cases excellent.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.