Fake Transistors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would like to know where to buy genuine Sanken Transistors namely 2SC3264 and 2SA1295.I have tried to buy them locally in our country(Philippines) but they are all fakes,they are all underrated.I even pried open 4 transistors only to find out that the chip is so small.Operating this transistors even on moderate voltage (60 volts) will blow them.I would appreciate any help.

MGR

http://www.wescomponents.com/ stock only original manufacturer transistors(their policy), and availability is always perfect, and prices pretty good.
When I buy high power audio transistors from WES, they are usually Sanken or Toshiba.
Alternatives, even though of the same type number are not always meeting the specs in my experience.
My local supplier usually buys from WES, but last thursday supplied me a 2SA1303 branded PMC sourced from a different wholesaler.
I was suspicious when I installed this transistor, and sure enough the transistor held up during initial runup and bias adjustment, but failed in the first 10 seconds of music input.
My supplier got toasted that day, and now knows not to do that again.
I have never had any trouble with WES supplied semiconductors.

Eric.

Per-Anders,

I think the problem was not bad equivalents but genuine
counterfeits, that is transistors which are labelled as a
perticular type from a particular well-known manufacturer,
while they are in reality some other type, manufactured
somewhere else. This problem has been discussed in a
previous thread and there is also an article about it on
Rod Elliots home page, but I can't find neither right now.
Whether there is a risk of getting such countefeit devices
here in Europe, I don't know, I hope not.

Are you kidding?

Here in Yugoslavia, you can only get counterfeit ones (OK, maybe some are original) :rolleyes: Unfortunately I don't have digital camera to show you enternals of one MJ15003 I've opened - die covered with some white compound (maybe some silicon... heatsink compound or I don't know what). They look like some home made stuff :)

Don't think that it's problem only here. Only way to be shure is to buy directly from distributors listed on manufacturers sites, and to keep your eyes wide open :eek:

http://sound.westhost.com/counterfeit.htm

Here it is.

Yes, I know there are real fakes, looks exactly as the real one, same marking and all. But I suspect also there are types which are also unclear marked. My advice to all DIY'er especially in the east, don't business with unkown sources. Maybe you should ask here at diyuaudio.com before you buy?

Edit:

Didn't know the problem was so near (me) but what type of firms do like this? Is it for private persons or the industry as well?

Once I bought 2n3773 with Toshiba as manufacturer marked on them, they looked very bad ("made at home") like they were used. I opened some and there was the white silicon, and transistor inside was wery small, something like original 2n3055 which i opened for comparison. I also looked on toshibas page and there was no info about 2n3773.

peranders said:
http://sound.westhost.com/counterfeit.htm
Didn't know the problem was so near (me) but what type of firms do like this? Is it for private persons or the industry as well?

I don't think the small-quantity market (DIY/repair) would be big
enough to make it worthwhile, but that is just a guess. Anyway
Elliotts article (thanks for the link, I couldn't find it) answers
your question, I think. There is a link to another article about
industrial problems with counterfeit components, not only
transistors. No real reson to be surprised, I am afraid. This
problem exists in many areas, not only electronics, one of
the worst being counterfeit medical drugs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.